Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

One thing I noticed yesterday is it looked like McCann was setting his target on the corners. With this guy I think you set-up right down the middle and hope it ends up on the corner. You know it's probably not going to end up down the middle anyway. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, vab said:

One thing I noticed yesterday is it looked like McCann was setting his target on the corners. With this guy I think you set-up right down the middle and hope it ends up on the corner. You know it's probably not going to end up down the middle anyway. 

See his first batter as an O. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I'll go against the grain and say I don't believe Fuji has a confidence issue. I don't feel like he looks scared or even anxious on the mound. His issue is he can't throw strikes consistently and looks frustrated more than anything. He just can't throw strikes.

I tend to agree with this. There's a reason a 6-foot-6 Japanese pitcher who can throw 103 MPH was available on a 1/$3.5 million deal with Oakland. I think the concern has always been his ability to consistently command his pitches. 

We've seen good Fuji and bad Fuji. Thankfully we've seen more good than bad so far, but I still can't say I have complete confidence in him.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I tend to agree with this. There's a reason a 6-foot-6 Japanese pitcher who can throw 103 MPH was available on a 1/$3.5 million deal with Oakland. I think the concern has always been his ability to consistently command his pitches. 

We've seen good Fuji and bad Fuji. Thankfully we've seen more good than bad so far, but I still can't say I have complete confidence in him.

It looks like he aims the ball to me. Maybe I'm seeing things, but it really looks like he's aiming and not just throwing.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He just needs to avoid putting baserunners on without making them swing the bat.  The stuff is great when he puts it over. 

I think his control issues stem mostly from his funky delivery, particularly that pause in his leg kick.  It prevents him from landing in a consistent spot.  Of course, as often is the case, his delivery is also one of the things that makes him tough for hitters to time up.  

I think we’ll just have to accept that Fuji will have his good days and bad ones.  

Edited by Frobby

Interesting bit here from Kyle Boddy and Drew Haugen.  Boddy's suggested that Fujinami threw more strikes at 100+ on the 4S because that's when his mechanics were most in "harmony".

Drew then went and backed it up with some data, and Fuji indeed throws more strikes at higher velos.  However, this could be muddied by a move to the bullpen being the catalyst for more velo and control, given his control was probably even more disastrous at lower speeds when he was a starter.

Still something interesting to think about.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, baltfan said:

Continue to say the Orioles should look to extend this guy.  He is a nice lottery ticket.  

I’m far closer to saying DFA him than extend him.

Im not there yet and I give him a few more weeks but if he isn’t showing any signs of turning it around, I’m bringing up McDermott to see if he can be that guy out of the pen.

I have no faith in Fuji in any spot that matters. Love the arm, love the attitude but you just can’t trust him and we can’t have that in Oct and if he can’t be trusted Oct and isn’t going to be on the roster, why have him on the team in Sept?

It was a worthwhile acquisition and hopefully they can get him straightened out but if not, he needs to go soon and we need to see if we can find a replacement and fast.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m far closer to saying DFA him than extend him.

Im not there yet and I give him a few more weeks but if he isn’t showing any signs of turning it around, I’m bringing up McDermott to see if he can be that guy out of the pen.

I have no faith in Fuji in any spot that matters. Love the arm, love the attitude but you just can’t trust him and we can’t have that in Oct and if he can’t be trusted Oct and isn’t going to be on the roster, why have him on the team in Sept?

It was a worthwhile acquisition and hopefully they can get him straightened out but if not, he needs to go soon and we need to see if we can find a replacement and fast.

If you mean he isn’t a setup guy right now.  I agree.  He has been a disappointment so far. But I also wouldn’t say he isn’t showing signs of turning it around.   He has had his moments. He has tons of raw tools and would be willing to take a chance that he could develop into something special.  In the meantime, there are tons of low leverage innings that will need to be pitched before the end of the year.  He can learn better there and also perhaps keep the team in a game it might win.  You never know, his confidence and trust in his stuff could grow to where he is good in high leverage.   Let me ask it this way, would you take a chance on Reynaldo Lopez?  Do you think we should just cut Cionel Perez?