FA starting pitchers remaining as of 12/7

Frobby

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why have the Mets let Bassitt go so far?  I worry we’d have to go to 4 years to sign him and lose a draft pick. 

We definitely aren't signing Bassitt and I would be pretty surprised if we give anyone more than 2 years. Manaea or Kluber on a 1 year+team option deal is the most realistic outcome if we choose to add another starter through free agency instead of trade.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would worry about SF re-signing Rodon at this point now that they missed out on Judge. They could bring in both Rodon and Correa (~$55-60?) for not all that much more than Judge alone (~$45). 

They could be in on Senga. But yeah, I'd say SF and LAD are sure to nab at least one tier 1 FA each. 

24 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Maybe there are stuff in the statcast data that are red flags that I didn't see but to me a guy that had a 2.93era last year with a 2.99 FIP over 165 innings only getting 2/26 seems like exactly the type of pitcher the O's should have been overpaying on a 2 year deal to get. I'm not sure how they can think Gibson at 10 mil is a good deal but Quintana isn't.

The Baltimore price is probably 2/30 although I am inclined to agree. I am guessing it's the years more than the AAV.

I'm getting pretty close to Rodon or bust. We don't need more mid-rotation guys. We have Kremer, Bradish, and Wells (plus Gibson). With young guys like GrayRod and Hall coming up and Means eventually coming back. All of those young pitchers will be cheap for the next 3-4 years. Invest in the front-end of the rotation.

*And if we don't sign Rodon, I'd rather trade for a Burnes, Woodruff, Lopez, etc. than drop $15M/year+ on a #3.

**Bassitt could have solid value. I'm just wary of giving 3/4 years to a guy in his mid-30's. He has been excellent over the past 4 years. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Not a bad contract. The Orioles should have the opportunity to get one of these guys at a reasonable rate.

Maybe Cueto on a two-year deal.  If Walker gets 4/72 then  you have to believe Bassitt gets at least 4 years and for more total dollars. 

I think Elias is winning vs. the field at $$$/WAR with Gibson for 10 and Quintana for 26.

But I don't care that much about $$$/WAR.    Its your 2nd of 6 Adley seasons.

It felt odd when he published it that way, but with the creative structuring ESPN Kiley McDaniel's organizing his Top 50 FA predictions piece by guaranteed dollars instead of AAV is making more sense by the day.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think Elias is winning vs. the field at $$$/WAR with Gibson for 10 and Quintana for 26.

But I don't care that much about $$$/WAR.    Its your 2nd of 6 Adley seasons.

It felt odd when he published it that way, but with the creative structuring ESPN Kiley McDaniel's organizing his Top 50 FA predictions piece by guaranteed dollars instead of AAV is making more sense by the day.

Market falling back some? 

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would worry about SF re-signing Rodon at this point now that they missed out on Judge. They could bring in both Rodon and Correa (~$55-60?) for not all that much more than Judge alone (~$45). 

I agree. But we could do the same and acquire both and not only control our payroll to be reasonable for this year but for the next few years, especially if Correa would take a contract of 7 years or less.

Those 2 players (Alone) combined with what we already have would give us the additional wins necessary to realistically put ourselves in position to compete next year and going forward into the immediate future.

Yes, they come with risks, but in '22 baseball just about all good free agents have a risk required to take on in order to get them to sign a contract. For those advocating acquiring our biggest pieces through trade, those guys will have to be paid too.

The odds of the O's having a team that is good enough to challenge for a pennant are extremely long if we are not planning to spend to acquire/retain good players. At best (and I mean if everything breaks right and we get very lucky) our ceiling would be Tampa Bay. Which is good enough to be in the conversation but not talented enough to take us over the top. The odds of being able to duplicate that model are not that high in my opinion. Plus, if we do take on that approach I'm very concerned that we will have their consequence that comes from that which is no fans and no relevancy.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m fine with riding with this,

GR, Bradish, Kremer, Gibson, Voth

Depth: Wells, Means, Hall, Watkins

I think we need a vet bat that can work the count. Brantley seems to fit. 

Our team as is with the addition of Brantley helps us to leapfrog which playoff team from last year? Or are you good with a winning record (somewhere in the 82-86 range) being the bar for next year?

17 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

This is why 2023 simply cannot be another punt year.

By this time next year, we will only have 4 years of the Adley/Gunnar/GrayRod trio remaining. 

Right.  And arguably, the payroll will never be lower.  Choose your free agents wisely, but this should not just be a punt year. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m fine with riding with this,

GR, Bradish, Kremer, Gibson, Voth

Depth: Wells, Means, Hall, Watkins

I think we need a vet bat that can work the count. Brantley seems to fit. 

Conforto another. Better career BB rate and OPS+ than Brantley, and younger. Big question is health. O's doctors are known to do strict physicals.