Taking Elias and Hyde’s comments at face value

Sports Guy

The challenge is around this part of the Elias’ talking points

Acknowledging up front that you can’t keep up with teams and markets is not what an Orioles fan wants to hear.  We are not Tampa Bay or Oakland or the Cubs for that matter. This is a franchise that has a rich history of competing and being one of the best and most highly regarded teams in baseball, with a stadium that changed the game and sports stadiums for that matter.  

Yes recent years have not matched that rich history but we got a small inkling during the Andy/Buck/DD years of what it could be until it imploded.    Elias needs to sell a vision, hope, season tickets if he is going to be the voice of the franchise for now.  He is not head of communications or a PR spokesperson!    Mike you raised the wall to attract pitchers, you built a foundation of young talent that is the envy of baseball.   Finish the job and set the team up to not just compete but win in 2023.  Overpay for a couple of key FA’s - it won’t destroy what you built.  Pack the stadium, get into the playoffs and re-imagine Orioles magic.

“There are teams and markets out there that are frankly just hard to keep up with, but there’s other teams and markets that look the way that Baltimore does that have really healthy and successful programs, and it might involve us looking a little bit more like those, at least in the short term, until the business is built back up. But there’s ways to have a very healthy Orioles franchise for the next 10, 15, 20 years, and that’s kind of what we’re transitioning ourselves into.”

Edited by Pat Kelly

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Do we trust Elias to trade Tate and Santander? I've given Elias his props for his drafting and development, but let's remember, he traded Castro at his peak value for Kevin Smith and Victor González, and Givens for Vavra, Nevin and Mishael Deson. Add in trading Bleier for Isaac Deleon, and it's not like he has a great track record of trading his relievers for value.

I'm not saying Elias is a bad trader, I'm just saying is he has yet to prove he can acquire impact talent or trade his potential impact talent depth for positions of need. 

I'm a little disappointed so far that all of his focus seems to be on free agents and not trading. Now maybe teams are waiting until the major free agents fall into to place to start trading for need, but I've always felt this is the areas where Elias needs to do well in this offseason especially since we know the Orioles are not going to be in on significant Free Agents that demand 5 or more years.

I can't speak for you, or anyone else, but I do.  I also feel open to changing my mind about that in a few years as we gather more data points.  The real test of that will come in the next few years.

As someone else suggested, I think the trade market heats up after the FA market cools down.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• All of what you posted is why you have to take both dWAR and fWAR with a grain of salt when it comes to valuing defense.  OAA strictly gives you how good a player is at his position vs other players at his position. There is no guessing involved. Now could OAA receive some tweaking, especially with infielders, I think so. I don't think OAA is perfect by any means, but let's say Santana did save his team 12 runs and let's say a SS was at 0 runs saved. Why should he be penalized for playing a less stressful position? In the end he did save runs vs a SS that didn't save or lose runs. I guess in the end you look at all the defensive metrics (OAA, dWAR, DRS) and then make your opinion based off them. I also use my scouting eye and watching most of the games, I'd say Cowser is an above average defensive outfielder with plus arm strength and way below average accuracy.
    • Burnes and Eflin were fantastic keeping the team moving forward in a year Felix, Bradish and Grayson were mostly gone. It is fuzzy for me if you combine Elias' team's results in the cases of Albert Suarez and Trevor Rogers if that's a good job or a bad job. Some talk about people like Pivetta, but I don't see a ton of April/May/June demand.     Eflin, Grayson, Kremer, Povich and Suarez leave Rogers, McDermott and Young 6/7/8 already.    Are those guys ever going to pitch? Povich and Suarez showed enough in September it seems worth it to see April. We rarely see a decision Elias doesn't like to defer, and the first half of 2025 will give information how the roster needs to be managed.    How strong is Felix?    What setbacks do Bradish and Wells have?    Can Grayson hold up more than 2 straight months? Elias is building a body of work he'll win the bids for Corbin Burnes and Zach Eflin when necessary, but I don't think this winter is one of those times.
    • OAA and dWAR are two measure that people use to determine if a player is a good defensive player or not. They absolutely can be mentioned when talking defense. They both measure the defensive ability of a player, though they do it differently. Acting like it some kind of horror to mention them together is one of the more ridiculous stances I've ever seen you take here.  NOBODY said they measure the exact same thing and the EXACT same way, but they absolutely are two measures people use to determine if a player is good defensively.  OAA shows Cowser to be a well above average defensive outfielder while dWAR shows Cowser to be more average. I think OAA in this case absolutely is a better indicator of Cowser's defensive ability. 
    • Cowser has not exactly been great down the stretch this year. That WPA is from his unclutchness.  Saying that, Gil has not exactly been a world beater his last two months of the season either. Gil also gets the New York bonus from some in the media so I still think he'll get the nod. But maybe Cowser can pull it off despite the K's and unclutchness.  
    • 1. It's not too hard to cherry pick guys who had success in hindsight. The problem is picking those guys in advance. Not sure what your point is here. Yes, it would suck losing to a pitcher like Lugo but maybe Danny Coulombe gets some big outs or Ramon Urias is the series MVP.  2. Last year we choked. Hope it's different this year. Also let's not forget the opponent matters. Sometimes you run into a buzzsaw, it happens.  3. We have all the pieces necessary to win a championship but there are 11 other teams and it's hard to win the WS. Yes, we have weaknesses. If I had to guess, we will beat KC but fall short of the championship. Whatever happens, go O's.   
    • Can't see them sitting Cowser. He hasn't sat much against lefties all year.
  • Popular Contributors