Your Offseason Grade Through 12/15

Roll Tide

What’s Your Grade   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade For The Offseason So Far

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/30/22 at 05:14

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, let’s go with this.

Let’s say Urias is dealt and Frazier is platooning with Westburg and Hays.

Does that make this signing better?

Well, it’s certainly better if Westburg is playing up here and not blocked and in AAA. I will agree with that. But why is there a need to platoon Westburg? The splits that I can find certainly don’t indicate the need to platoon him and they definitely don’t indicate a need to platoon him against the dominant pitching side, which means he sits a lot.

So, what is the real need here?  I’m just not seeing it, especially for 8M.

I don’t think he’ll have a strict platoon partner. He’d be a good guy to move around quite a bit and keep a lefty bat in the lineup while giving guys a day off. Between Urias at 2B, Mateo at SS, and Hays in LF there will be always be righty to supplant when it makes sense. 

Also, I know he won’t be play SS but he could play 3B on days he replaces Mateo and Henderson can move to SS for the day. 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

will be on his 4th team in three years

I think this part can be a feature not a bug.    MLB doesn't have promotion and relegation of Clubs between leagues like soccer, but that can happen with Players between Clubs.     Frazier played well enough for the 2021 Padres or 2022 Mariners to want him from Pirates-land.

The 2022 Padres and 2023 Mariners are trying to be even better - Seattle's Frazier to Wong is maybe like our Lyles to Gibson.     Adam Frazier's going to have that special hunger Elias craves to outplay Kolten Wong (and keep his ALDS spot?).   Edwin Jackson has the record at 14, and my guess is in 2024 Frazier's career is not over and he is not in BAL...TBD if the vibes will be as good as in the Jordan Lyles Appreciation Thread.     

Frazier Pirates teammates like Colin Moran, Kevin Newman...nope.

15 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

This team is no better then the one that finished the season.  I think  2023 is another year of development and  clock manipulation.  I gave the off season an F.

Frazier is much better than Odor, Gibson is better than Lyles, Rodriguez is better than anyone that started a game last year, Henderson and Rutschman both will start on Opening Day (assuming health of course). They are definitely a better team heading into 2023 than they were at the end of last season.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think this part can be a feature not a bug.    MLB doesn't have promotion and relegation of Clubs between leagues like soccer, but that can happen with Players between Clubs.     Frazier played well enough for the 2021 Padres or 2022 Mariners to want him from Pirates-land.

The 2022 Padres and 2023 Mariners are trying to be even better - Seattle's Frazier to Wong is maybe like our Lyles to Gibson.     Adam Frazier's going to have that special hunger Elias craves to outplay Kolten Wong (and keep his ALDS spot?).   Edwin Jackson has the record at 14, and my guess is in 2024 Frazier's career is not over and he is not in BAL...TBD if the vibes will be as good as in the Jordan Lyles Appreciation Thread.     

Frazier Pirates teammates like Colin Moran, Kevin Newman...nope.

They wanted him but didn’t want to keep him. 

7 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Frazier is much better than Odor, Gibson is better than Lyles, Rodriguez is better than anyone that started a game last year, Henderson and Rutschman both will start on Opening Day (assuming health of course). They are definitely a better team heading into 2023 than they were at the end of last season.

Agreed.  And good talent available in the AAA pipeline.   I know you’ve been vocal about wanting the O’s to do more, but we’re in agreement that there’s still reason to be hopeful for continued improvement even if there isn’t a lot more done.  

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Swap Syndegaard with Gibson and how much do people’s opinion change of the offseason?

Not much.   Back before we acquired Gibson, I said I’d only want Syndergaard if he was the second-best starter we were acquiring this winter.  

The good - No bad long term contracts.  Added a solid SP.  

The bad - No TOR SP

The ugly - The Frazier signing.  On a budget, it’s a bad allocation of resources considering we have options.  I suppose it’s plan B for missing on a TOR and there’s more to come in the GM game…

I tend to be more optimistic, so a ‘C’ so far.  Last year, Lyles’ contract was a head scratcher and clearly was Elias’ guy.  This year, it’s Frazier.

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

I was grading the off season, Henderson, Rutschman and Rodriguez having nothing to do with the off season.  The Frazier, Gibson improvement does not move the needle for me.

I give it a D, because...

Good

• No bad long term contracts.
  • No desperate trades.

Medium

• Gibson is a small upgrade over Lyles.
  • Frazier fits in the Tampa model re: platooning (he does hit RHP better). We now have LH/RH options at 3b, SS, 2b, and LF.

Bad

• The upgrades are not strong upgrades. We haven't really improved through FA or trade (yet).
  • The price for Frazier seems about 1/2 or 1/3 too much.

Assumptions of what is to come

• We sign or trade for a pitcher who fits 1-3 in the rotation.
  • We sign a catcher who isn't worse than Chirinos.
  • We still rely on internal options to upgrade the offense.
Edited by LookinUp

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The good - No bad long term contracts.  Added a solid SP.  

The bad - No TOR SP

The ugly - The Frazier signing.  On a budget, it’s a bad allocation of resources considering we have options.  I suppose it’s plan B for missing on a TOR and there’s more to come in the GM game…

I tend to be more optimistic, so a ‘C’ so far.  Last year, Lyles’ contract was a head scratcher and clearly was Elias’ guy.  This year, it’s Frazier.

I think it’s obvious that how much $$$ gets you with a player in 2023. Would people be shocked if Gunnar and Adley both turned down 11/182 right now? Aka the Wander Franco deal.