Melewski on Blood

Just Regular

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/discussing-player-development-with-the-o-s-matt-blood-part-i

The biographical detail he was scouting with STL same time Elias and Sig were in the early phases of their careers was new to me.     These guys have been colleagues before any of them collaborated to make Rio Ruiz a big leaguer, fighting for their guy all the way through asking a non-middle infielder if wanted to give middle infield a shot on his way out of the game.

Only at a time maximizing wins at the MLB level wasn't a priority....now we gots Adam Frazier.

• Thanks 2

There’s an interesting contrast between the team’s promotion philosophy within the minors and at the major league level.  In the minors, they are pretty eager to move guys up and challenge them as soon as they’ve had a few months of success at a level.  But when it comes to major league promotions, they are pretty deliberate it making them, and even once they do, with a couple of prominent exceptions, they are hesitant to really throw the player into the heat of battle (e.g. Stowers and Vavra).  I guess that’s explained by the fact that wins matter more than development once the player reaches the majors, but the difference in approach is still pretty striking.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, Frobby said:

There’s an interesting contrast between the team’s promotion philosophy within the minors and at the major league level.  In the minors, they are pretty eager to move guys up and challenge them as soon as they’ve had a few months of success at a level.  But when it comes to major league promotions, they are pretty deliberate it making them, and even once they do, with a couple of prominent exceptions, they are hesitant to really throw the player into the heat of battle (e.g. Stowers and Vavra).  I guess that’s explained by the fact that wins matter more than development once the player reaches the majors, but the difference in approach is still pretty striking.  

I’ve been wondering the same thing. It is striking, indeed. Last year’s success seemed to make them shift gears in this way. We have seen the previous three years where they took waiver claims with much less of a minor league reputation and played them with developing their talent in mind to see what they could get them to become. What kind of value they could mine out of the raw material.

The only conclusion I can come to with Stowers and Vavra is that they do not believe in them. At least Brandon Hyde does not. The question with Vavra is not the bat, but where does he play. Hyde DH’d and pinch hit him. With all of the injuries Vavra has had, was it difficult to get him the reps, or has his physicality decreased because of the back injuries and such? One thing was obvious to me, Vavra is not even an average 2B if that showing is who he is. 

When it comes to Stowers, is it just the defensive issues he showed, which most assume will be remedied with a little more MLB time? Or do they not believe the bat will play effectively? 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, Frobby said:

Adley, Gunnar, Bautista, Bradish all played significant roles as rookies. Vespi a little less so but still got into some big moments.

Hall was a weird case that I still don't really get. 

Stowers and Vavra played a decent amount at the end of the day when they finally got the call but it took forever and they didn't hand them positions like some of the other guys.

Interested to see what happens this year. I'm not as apoplectic as some regarding how the roster is currently shaking out. The quality of depth right now is pretty insane. Other than perhaps the SP. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Adley, Gunnar, Bautista, Bradish all played significant roles as rookies. Vespi a little less so but still got into some big moments.

Hall was a weird case that I still don't really get. 

Stowers and Vavra played a decent amount at the end of the day when they finally got the call but it took forever and they didn't hand them positions like some of the other guys.

Interested to see what happens this year. I'm not as apoplectic as some regarding how the roster is currently shaking out. The quality of depth right now is pretty insane. Other than perhaps the SP. 

Hall in the bullpen was fine, he was on the 40.

That odd spot start, on the road, without Adley catching....

Some story there, it is just too much of an odd circumstance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hall in the bullpen was fine, he was on the 40.

That odd spot start, on the road, without Adley catching....

Some story there, it is just too much of an odd circumstance.

Yeah him in the pen was fine  it was the spot start, get optioned, then spend a few weeks converting to a reliever or whatever it was. Just... Bring him up in the bullpen in the first place lol.