Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I am assuming we are giving up next to nothing, if so this is a good move. I wanted to pay a decent backup catcher so Adley could catch 100-110 games and DH 50-ish games rather than catch 130+ games. 

McCann is a solid backup and as long as he is comfortable with his role I think this should work out well.

Completely agree - not only does does having Adley DH that much keep him in the lineup more often, but we should be playing the long game with him. Shouldn’t wear down his body when we’re counting on him to be the foundation of this team for the next 5+ years. And that approach only works if you have a decent backup C. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

OD 26 man roster

GR, Bradish, Gibson, Kremer, Voth

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Givens, Baker, Wells, Akin, Khreibel

1. Mullins CF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar 3B L

4. Santander DH S

5. Mountcastle 1B R

6. Stowers RF L

7. Hays LF R

8. Frazier 2B L

9. Mateo SS R

Urias, McKenna, McCann, ?

Pretty much how I have it. Final bench spot hopefully someone like Vavra but could be Cordero or we could pick up another bat.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's going to DH much more than we're comfortable with but at least Adley will be in the lineup most nights with how much he will also DH. 

I just hope if the Orioles are in the chase for a playoff spot in September they are flexible on playing Adley more at catcher. Right now it looks like Adley will play catcher for two out of every three games.

Come September would they play Adley four out of every five games at catcher with a playoff spot on the line. 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Pretty much how I have it. Final bench spot hopefully someone like Vavra but could be Cordero or we could pick up another bat.

It would be nice to add a RH bat. I like Vavra, but we’re a little too LH right now, and I think Vavra needs to work on being a super sub in ST and in AAA a bit. 

I like what Elias has done with the Bench and the Bullpen. It would be nice to add on of Wacha/Eovaldi. Some RH bat options that fit… Myers, Pham, Duvall, Gurriel, Mancini, Aguilar, Cruz, and Voit. 

• Upvote 1

What I don't like with an iffy bat at backup C is that they have to play so much, effectively reducing Rutschman's overall net value.  When Adley shifts to DH, instead of two good bats at C - DH, we're down to one. Everyone argues defense for the backup C for some reason. To me it's not a given that that's an appropriate tradeoff if the bat doesn't play. 

Hoping that, as with Frazier, they can fix this former (2019) All Star's downward trend at bat.

Edited by now
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Had a bunch of injuries last year and only played 60 some games. Hard to make much of last season. I think he works as a backup and could bounce back a little. 

Anyone know about his defense?

His DWAR hasn’t been at least .5 in a few years. He was 1.+ twice earlier in his career.

As for offense, he got 4/40 for once decent offensive year. That year he still wasn’t an 800 OPS player. The following year he was good for a 100 ABs before injury. Over the last two he’s a sub .300 OBP type.

Its only a backup catcher but I hate it! 

Another 2.5 million per for a bad baseball player.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GBO'sFan said:

Everyone complains that they need to get a backup catcher,  and when they go get a solid backup catcher people are still complaining.  SMH

He hit .195 with a .257 OBP this year and .232 with a .295 OBP last year.  He actually was worse than Chirinos last season if you can believe that. Plus he’s costing us $2.5 million each of the next 2 season versus $700k for Chirinos.

But, carry on with you low expectations and Koolaid sipping.

so we’ve now wasted $22 million+  in salary this offseason on mediocre to poor ball players. They should’ve signed one good starting pitcher and called it a day. They could’ve had Casali on a one year deal and probably could’ve got him for under $2 million.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, theobird said:

Nice move, had to get a decent backup catcher and we did. Sounds like 2.5/yr. for two years and a flier type mil player. I know that some will find fault in this move, but I just think that’s some folks nature. Me? I’m happy with it

Is he better than Chirinos? ….In a word NO!