Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

24 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

To me the Frazier signing means Urias is the odd man out. Average MLB bat and reigning GG champ. MIA wants impact bat, Stowers replaces Santander in RF with Cowser not far behind. How likely is Santander to be healthy unless he spends a lot of time at DH. He will make about the same as Lopez I think. I don't see Stowers in LF, too much ground to cover. Cowser is Hays replacement with Beavers, Fabian, Kjerstead behind. Which pitcher does Santander + Urias get you, I think Lopez.

If I was the Marlins I'm not sure I'd view Urias as significant upgrade over Wendle. I'd also trade Santander in a heartbeat because he's older and I don't think his value will ever be this high again. 

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Kim Ng is widely regarded as one of the brighter minds in baseball and she's only been with the Marlins for a few years, which isn't nearly enough of a sample size to judge her performance. Also, why do we have to win the trade? Why can't we just make a mutually beneficial trade that helps both ball clubs? That's the whole point of finding a club / trade partner that matches up with you like the Marlins do with us.  I also think players like Mateo and Hays have very little trade value so the offer you suggested doesn't seem realistic to me at all. You have to give quality to get quality, which is perfectly fine when we're talking about potentially adding a talented young arm who could be a staple in our starting rotation for the next 3 - 5 years. 

What does Kim Ng hang her hat on?   I've seen articles and anecdotes that suggest your characterization is correct but what has she actual done from a baseball perspective?

48 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I see enough parallels between BAL and MIA I feel like this would be same as someone on Marlins Hangout saying we should trade Adley.      Elias' Adley and Ng's Alcantara are the straws that stir the drink.     They only need to get to 6th in the league, and the Big Guy can go for the Hershiser-Bumgarner stuff.

Now if their 2023 breaks bad, there's a player who could get Jackson Holliday on the table from our side.

He is a beast no doubt. Under control for 5 more years. With the volatility of pitching and their need for bats I think he could help to rebuild a significant portion of their position player deficit. I at least think they should be listening. 

As flawed as I think the Orioles pitching might be its well ahead of the Marlins bats. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What does Kim Ng hang her hat on?   I've seen articles and anecdotes that suggest your characterization is correct but what has she actual done from a baseball perspective?

Did you not read the part of my comment that said we don't have enough of a sample size to judge her performance as a GM? Or are you just questioning her baseball IQ? With this resume, I certainly am not. 

Kim Ng first woman GM background

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Trading Mountcastle + for a pitcher and signing Mancini to a 2-3 year deal makes some sense I think.

Mancini is going be luckyto get a 1/5M deal this year.   Why would you commit more than that to him even if you though he made sense?

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Now that the Mets won't have Correa, I'd love to see a deal involving Urias and David Peterson. Would take a good bit more than Urias, but they'd add a GG infielder and we really could use a young, controllable LH SP.

I REALLY like Peterson, but I imagine the Mets will try to trade Cookie first to fill their 3B hole. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

We sure have spent a lot of time this winter debating hypothetical deals with the Marlins.   I’m not complaining about it, just observing.   

I mean, the thread on our backup catcher is 15 pages long. As the saying goes, idle (front office) hands is the devil's workshop. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Did you not read the part of my comment that said we don't have enough of a sample size to judge her performance as a GM? Or are you just questioning her baseball IQ? With this resume, I certainly am not. 

Kim Ng first woman GM background

She's been in baseball a long time but in never in charge of department.   So yeah, I wonder how good she is in actual baseball/talent related evaluations and strategy.    When I asked what she had to hang her hat on, I wasn't questioning the resume.  I was questioning what transactions or player acquisitions one could point to.

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

An often injured Brandon Belt just signed for 1/$9M and you think Mancini is only going to get $5M?!?!

I don't think he's going to get more than Belt, that's for sure.

A.J. Pollock got 1/7.   Evan Longoria got 1/4.    I'd be surprised if Mancini does better than 1/7.

Edited by RZNJ