Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Still, I think the goal of Elias is to develop Latin American pitching and use ample position player capital to acquire pitching as opposed to chasing high end pitching in the draft.    Because of the high attrition rate of pitching, I think they've concluded this is the best way to go.

This is what the Astros have done, however I don’t believe the Latin SP on their WA team were all big bonus signings. 

Overall, it think it’s safe to say that Elias thinks we’re still a year too early. Had it not been for Gunnar absolutely going ballistic in the minors, and us in the WC hunt, I think we would’ve seen more selling, and probably not have seen Gunnar at all. Maybe Westburg instead though. Elias did nothing this offseason to adjust to being a “yeah ahead of schedule”. He gave Hyde Givens, Gibson, and Frazier, all on low risk deals. 

I honestly believe that there is a better chance of Hyde selling from our bullpen(Wells, Tate, Akin) for a comp pick, than it is for him to swing a trade for a SP. Maybe we luck into Eric Lauer. 

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You might have me mistaken for someone who is defending the Marlins.   They've gotten Cabrera and Eury Perez as Latin American FA's.   They got Luzardo without giving up much.    The got Pablo Lopez in a trade for David Phelps, the reliever.    

You need both pitching and hitting.   They have done a poor job on the hitting end.    I think Elias is doing it the right way.  Acquire as much position capital as possible through the draft and Latin America, hope to trade some of the excess for pitching while also hitting on some Latin American FA pitchers of your own.

Gotcha. 

When they do pick position players it usually whiffs as well. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is what the Astros have done, however I don’t believe the Latin SP on their WA team were all big bonus signings. 

Overall, it think it’s safe to say that Elias thinks we’re still a year too early. Had it not been for Gunnar absolutely going ballistic in the minors, and us in the WC hunt, I think we would’ve seen more selling, and probably not have seen Gunnar at all. Maybe Westburg instead though. Elias did nothing this offseason to adjust to being a “yeah ahead of schedule”. He gave Hyde Givens, Gibson, and Frazier, all on low risk deals. 

I honestly believe that there is a better chance of Hyde selling from our bullpen(Wells, Tate, Akin) for a comp pick, than it is for him to swing a trade for a SP. Maybe we luck into Eric Lauer. 

Sell me on Eric Lauer.   He has two years of service time left and his Baseball Savant page isn't particularly impressive.   I get that he's 27 and he's LH and his stats looked decent last year.    I think Pablo Lopez is better with more upside.    But everything Elias has done to this point suggests he's going to go for someone who's on the last year of a contract and won't cost a top 15 prospect.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sell me on Eric Lauer.   He has two years of service time left and his Baseball Savant page isn't particularly impressive.   I get that he's 27 and he's LH and his stats looked decent last year.    I think Pablo Lopez is better with more upside.    But everything Elias has done to this point suggests he's going to go for someone who's on the last year of a contract and won't cost a top 15 prospect.

Here’s what I see… Rich Hill 2.0. LH SP. Shouldn’t break the bank. Mouthed off at the Brewers FO twice last year for them “selling”. Milwaukee signed Miley. 

I’m no expert on Pitch Fx. I’m sure someone else can kindly delve into his numbers and stuff. He seems like the ideal 5 and dive type. 

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

As this offseason progresses, I'm liking the idea of moving Mateo somewhere (even for prospects), moving Gunnar to SS (until Ortiz and/or Holliday are ready), and letting Urias play 3B for 125 - 130 games.

I still agree with this move, and have been preaching it as well.  If we could package Mateo with a teens level prospect for one of these SPs, that'd be ideal.  If not, then prospects.  

However, given the Frazier deal, and the fact that Westburg is squeezed, I imagine that Mateo stays until closer to the trade deadline at least, and Westburg stays at AAA, along with Ortiz and Norby.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lauer is a good target. He would have been a good #2 guy while adding a better starter than Gibson.

I would rather Lauer be in the rotation then go with what we have (depending on his cost of course) but since they did sign Gibson, I would rather get a higher upside guy.

I know some folks keep beating the Lauer drum, but the Brewers have given no indication that they're going to trade him and franking they can't afford to. There's absolutely no way they would feel confident going into the season with Ashby as one of their five starters. The only starting pitcher they "might" be shopping is Houser, which was suggested in a MLB Trade Rumors report a few days ago. 

I realize we're all speculating here, but at least with the Marlins they've publicly said they'd be willing to trade a starting pitcher so there's some behind the conversations/discussions. Just randomly throwing out names of pitchers we should trade for without even a hint or rumor that the team is willing to trade that pitcher (i.e., Lauer) just seems like too much of a stretch. 

42 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I know some folks keep beating the Lauer drum, but the Brewers have given no indication that they're going to trade him and franking they can't afford to. There's absolutely no way they would feel confident going into the season with Ashby as one of their five starters. The only starting pitcher they "might" be shopping is Houser, which was suggested in a MLB Trade Rumors report a few days ago. 

I realize we're all speculating here, but at least with the Marlins they've publicly said they'd be willing to trade a starting pitcher so there's some behind the conversations/discussions. Just randomly throwing out names of pitchers we should trade for without even a hint or rumor that the team is willing to trade that pitcher (i.e., Lauer) just seems like too much of a stretch. 

I think Miley makes 7 starters for them now, unless someone is injured. Burnes, Woodruff, Lauer, Peralta, Miley, Ashby, Houser.  Houser is the guy they probably would want to deal 1st.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The remaining FA,

David Price

SP

Zack Greinke

SP

Mike Minor

SP

Michael Wacha

SP

Dylan Bundy

SP

Chris Archer

SP

Kohei Arihara

SP

Josh Lindblom

SP

Chad Kuhl

SP

Danny Duffy

SP

Joe Ross

SP

Anibal Sanchez

SP

Replace Zimmermann with Duffy for 3 mil? Split contract?

32 minutes ago, SpOkane said:

Replace Zimmermann with Duffy for 3 mil? Split contract?

The only issue with that is, is once you call up Duffy he’s up or you have to DFA him. Same with David Price. With Vespi needing hernia surgery, I do think we are short a LH weapon the first part of the season. Akin has an option as well, I’ve been thinking he was out of options. Akin also struggled in the 2nd half last year. 

I don’t view Price or a Duffy signing as a full season option. I would view them as another chess piece to move around in the first half to get us to Means(fingers crossed), and to avoid us having to overpay with prospects for a SP right now. 

I’d drop the Rule 5 guy ASAP, and utilize Duffy or Price and a bulk reliever behind a guy like Baker, on occasion. A 13 man pitching staff allows for some creativity. 

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The remaining FA,

David Price

SP

Zack Greinke

SP

Mike Minor

SP

Michael Wacha

SP

Dylan Bundy

SP

Chris Archer

SP

Kohei Arihara

SP

Josh Lindblom

SP

Chad Kuhl

SP

Danny Duffy

SP

Joe Ross

SP

Anibal Sanchez

SP

Did you mean to post this in the other thread?