Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Oh well, so much for the idea that we didn't have to sign a front-line starter because there was always the trade market.  Nobody is going to come busting down our doors wanting to trade a front-line starter for Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo.  

Entirely possible the Twins deal Lopez at the deadline this year. They are a hit or miss kind of a team. 

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Arráez best position is 1B. Chisholm and Segura’s best position is 2B.  This plan sounds ……… Interesting?

Oakland took this approach a few years ago, the whole 'defense be damned, just squeeze as many bats in as possible' idea. Never really worked out for them. The Marlins did run Dan Uggla out to 2B for years, so their longtime fan(s) should be used to it. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie

5 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Oakland took this approach a few years ago, the whole 'defense be damned, just squeeze as many bats in as possible' idea. Never really worked out for them. The Marlins did run Dan Uggla out to 2B for years, so their longtime fan(s) should be used to it. 

Worked about as well as when the Mariners tried to run an all glove no bat team out there one year.

Poor Felix didn't get much run support.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Seems to me MIA still has 6 SPs and a hole at SS.  No?

Maybe? They do have Wendle, Berti, and Edwards on the 40 and they traded for Amaya who supposedly has good D and had a decent offensive year in 2022. Wendle and Berti seem more like solid, veteran UT guys, but they did have 2.4 & 2.5 rWAR  each in '22.  It seems like they are not playing to their players' strengths though. Maybe Urias at SS makes sense to them in this model.

The Marlins were reportedly offering eith Lazardo or Cabrera fir Mets 3B prospect Brett Beaty.  Beaty was a top 40 mlb prospect but how much more would we have to include to say Westburg to make the deal equal towards getting one of those two pitchers.   

At some point Elias is going have to pull the plug on a trade this season either during spring training or early on in season to hang his hat on.  There is too much depth in position players and not enough pitching.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The Marlins were reportedly offering eith Lazardo or Cabrera fir Mets 3B prospect Brett Beaty.  Beaty was a top 40 mlb prospect but how much more would we have to include to say Westburg to make the deal equal towards getting one of those two pitchers.   

At some point Elias is going have to pull the plug on a trade this season either during spring training or early on in season to hang his hat on.  There is too much depth in position players and not enough pitching.  

You know, I was just wondering reading the Frazier thread whether Westburg might be trade bait. 

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You know, I was just wondering reading the Frazier thread whether Westburg might be trade bait. 

I've thought that for months. There are too many options are second, short and third. I think Westburg or Mountcastle could go for a pitcher with the other playing first.

19 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I think the time to make a trade will be the trade deadline this year. We’ll have a better feel for where we’re at, and theoretically it gives our prospects another half season to build value. 

Am I wrong in thinking that, post trade, the Twins are now probably our best potential trading partner for a SP? They currently have Nick Gordon penciled in as their DH, and that's by far their biggest week spot. With Correa penciled in at SS and Polanco at 2B I'd say they'd have very little interest in Urias or Mateo. The only exception would be if they wanted to move Miranda (not a great defender) to DH. 

Looks like they have three SPs who will be FAs after this season. I'm not sure about the contract status of the younger guys (Ryan and Winder), I'd personally target Mahle. 

Twins SP Depth Chart
1. P. Lopez / 1 yr $5,450,000 / FA in 2025
2. J. Ryan / FA in 2027
3. S. Gray / 3 yr $30,500,000 / FA in 2024
4. T. Mahle / 1 yr $$7,500,000 / FA in 2024
5. K. Maeda / 8 yr $$25,000,000 / FA in 2024
6. B. Ober / FA in 2028
7. J. Winder (I think he might have options left)
8. C. Paddack (due back mid-season) / 3 yr $12,525,000 / FA in 2026

Edited by HakunaSakata

32 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Am I wrong in thinking that, post trade, the Twins are now probably our best potential trading partner for a SP? They currently have Nick Gordon penciled in as their DH, and that's by far their biggest week spot. With Correa penciled in at SS and Polanco at 2B I'd say they'd have very little interest in Urias or Mateo. The only exception would be if they wanted to move Miranda (not a great defender) to DH. 

Looks like they have three SPs who will be FAs after this season. I'm not sure about the contract status of the younger guys (Ryan and Winder), I'd personally target Mahle. 

Twins SP Depth Chart
1. P. Lopez / 1 yr $5,450,000 / FA in 2025
2. J. Ryan / FA in 2027
3. S. Gray / 3 yr $30,500,000 / FA in 2024
4. T. Mahle / 1 yr $$7,500,000 / FA in 2024
5. K. Maeda / 8 yr $$25,000,000 / FA in 2024
6. B. Ober / FA in 2028
7. J. Winder (I think he might have options left)
8. C. Paddack (due back mid-season) / 3 yr $12,525,000 / FA in 2026

They also have Richardson (Pipeline team #6) and Varland (#10) w/ MLB experience. and Balazovic (#16) and Canterino (#9) who have dealt w/ recent injuries.

9 minutes ago, SpOkane said:

They also have Richardson (Pipeline team #6) and Varland (#10) w/ MLB experience. and Balazovic (#16) and Canterino (#9) who have dealt w/ recent injuries.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd consider a Santander for Mahle swap. I like him quite a bit more than Wacha who I honestly think would be a complete waste of money. 

For context, when the Twins traded for Mahle last season they gave up three prospects outside of the top 100 (Spencer Steer, Steve Hajjar, and Encarnacion-Strand) to get him.  Steer is currently ranked as the Reds 7th best prospect and Encarnacion-Strand is 14th. 

• Upvote 1