O’s record in position player starts

Frobby

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

This is debatable, but the very fact that it is debatable and that we already had these 4 players made the Frazier signing surprising to me.  I can't fault Frazier's stats or the $8 million cost, but the need for another 2B is what I question.

Elias is feeding the beast.   He signs several FA to one year deals.  Backs up talent at AAA.  Then some of those on one year deals are traded for prospects at the deadline.   The prospects acquired add to the good players in the farm system.  And some of the AAA players are promoted to help the major league team.

Its just another way to feed the farm system with talent.

19 hours ago, now said:

That's a good way to put it. Not at all what was advertised ("liftoff")... but still useful to grab a few more wins (or, consistent with "securing the floor," to prevent a few more losses).

Agreed.  The liftoff comment and reality seem like different paths for sure.  

Many have opined with historical examples that rebuilding teams have a set-back/consolidation year before continuing an upward trend.  Perhaps that was an assumed next phase as part of the “liftoff” comment (and the need to secure the floor)?  I have no idea but that’s how I’m reading the tea leaves currently.

• Upvote 1

Here’s a breakdown of how our main hitters did in wins vs. losses:

+.315 Mateo (.794/.479)

+.292 Mullins (.859/.567)

+.284 Urias (.858/.574)

+.256 Santander (.898/.642)

+.228 Odor (.752/.524)

+.208 Rutschman (.898/.690)

+ .178 Mountcastle (.810/.632)

+.160 McKenna (.701/.541)

+.152 Hays (.790/.638)

+.118 Mancini (.811/.693)

+.023 Chirinos (.564/.541)

I’m not at all surprised to see Mateo and Mullins at the top of this list.   They are both catalysts who when they are getting on base it ignites the offense.   Unfortunately for Mateo, he’s not hitting a lot of the time.   

FWIW, the team average differential was .229, while the league average differential was .231.   

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed.  The liftoff comment and reality seem like different paths for sure.  

Many have opined with historical examples that rebuilding teams have a set-back/consolidation year before continuing an upward trend.  Perhaps that was an assumed next phase as part of the “liftoff” comment (and the need to secure the floor)?  I have no idea but that’s how I’m reading the tea leaves currently.

That does seem to jibe with Elias's clarification of "liftoff" as a multiyear trend, not a one-year phenomenon.