Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

At this point, I assume that any increase in win talent will be generated internally through the inclusion of players like Henderson, Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall on the early season, if not opening day, roster.  I no longer expect any significant improvement from outside the organization.  Hopefully, players like Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz, and Means will be added to the mix later in the season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes. I think that can add 3-5 wins over last years club. Is it really that difficult to see that? That’s all. I’m not saying we added Aaron Judge. There is a chance the top 2 players won’t even be in the big leagues this year. 

Upgrades along with the depth that started to be created going back to last year when Stowers and Gunnar were called up can benefit a team. 

I appreciate your optimism, but I'm thinking these guys add MAYBE 1 WAR.   I just think the money we are spending on these guys would be better allocated elsewhere and let guys like Vavra, Stowers, and pick another backup catcher at 2m to take the place of the 3 guys mentioned above.

I would have rather seen that money go to a starting pitcher.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the entire point you're missing is that the depth that looks to be projected on the roster next year isn't significantly better than the Odor's, Chrinos's and Nevin's.

Like, if you can explain the difference to me in the value between Nevin and O'Hearn, I'd love to hear it.  I will admit that Frazier should be better than Odor, but it's still a dumb signing.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET202205130.shtml

Here is the lineup last May right before Adley was added. Hays and Mountcastle were nicked and couldn’t play. 

O’Hearn currently would have the best odds to be a negative WAR player on this club. Unlike Nevin he doesn’t have to play 3rd base. The Orioles have multiple positions covered by multiple players. If injuries are more prevalent this year I think they are in much better shape to handle it. I see where people want to deal guys or not sign guys to free up at bats for rookies. Why? Assuming no injuries and the rookies have no struggles? Let’s get pissed off when someone like Odor plays a bunch but then get pissed that the same GM builds a team without him with much better depth that still has the rookies in the system to supplement the team. 

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I appreciate your optimism, but I'm thinking these guys add MAYBE 1 WAR.   I just think the money we are spending on these guys would be better allocated elsewhere and let guys like Vavra, Stowers, and pick another backup catcher at 2m to take the place of the 3 guys mentioned above.

I would have rather seen that money go to a starting pitcher.

That money was never going to a starting pitcher. Never. 

If they didn’t add any of these guys someone is filling those roles. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The quote on page 21 indicates 80 games.

So that's what we've been going off of.

The quote about the MOO bat seems to be non existent though.  That seems to be a rumor that someone turned into fact and just kept getting repeated.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The quote about the MOO bat seems to be non existent though.  That seems to be a rumor that someone turned into fact and just kept getting repeated.

I agree, Elias never mentioned anything about MOO bat. He did say at least one acquisition would be someone who we'd see in the starting lineup. I assume this to be Frazier and/or McCann. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET202205130.shtml

Here is the lineup last May right before Adley was added. Hays and Mountcastle were nicked and couldn’t play. 

O’Hearn currently would have the best odds to be a negative WAR player on this club. Unlike Nevin he doesn’t have to play 3rd base. The Orioles have multiple positions covered by multiple players. If injuries are more prevalent this year I think they are in much better shape to handle it. I see where people want to deal guys or not sign guys to free up at bats for rookies. Why? Assuming no injuries and the rookies have no struggles? Let’s get pissed off when someone like Odor plays a bunch but then get pissed that the same GM builds a team without him with much better depth that still has the rookies in the system to supplement the team. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree, hombre.  I get that you like the upgrades they've made this off-season so far and that's fine.  I'll agree that these players should be better.  

I just don't think they'll be significantly better.  I mean, Frazier had a lower OPS than Odor last year, so I'm hoping his glove is somehow significantly better.  

But why not sign guys to free up at bats for rookies?  I'd much rather see someone like Westburg get a shot at 2nd base instead of Frazier.  Frazier's best days are behind him, Westburg has a chance to be a very solid every day player.  I am confident that Westburg could surpass the numbers that Frazier put up last year and I don't think it'd be particularly close.

In other words, save 8 million and play someone who's being considered a key piece to this rebuild and get better production.  

I don't think anyone's naive enough to think that rookies won't struggle, but there's upside there that they can get past their struggles and make a breakthrough.  Odor struggling all last year wasn't going to get any better.  That's the difference, you want to watch guys who have an upside to see if they're going to show signs of figuring it out.  There's no upside for Frazier.  There was no upside for Odor.  

Again, you seem to think this team so far has added "much better" depth.  I don't.  

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That money was never going to a starting pitcher. Never. 

If they didn’t add any of these guys someone is filling those roles. 

Well, if that's the case, I'd rather have had some combination of Westburg/Ortiz/Vavra playing second, Stowers getting the O'Hearn ABs, and one of the org catchers getting the starts McCann will get and just save the money.   I just don't think these guys are collectively worth the money they are getting.    I truly hope I'm wrong and all of the acquisitions have the best year of their careers at this point.   I just don't see the sense in spending money this way.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Which do you prefer. I have a preference for rWAR but I've heard others say fWAR is more accurate.

fWAR is far better. But CoC is ultimately right. If you have a bone to pick and just can't get over it (like everyone seems to have with Odor) you will use the other to make your case. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you have issues with reading comprehension?

You keep assuming I am saying things I'm not saying.

I'd rather they add more than 3-5 wins worth of talent (I also think they actual added more like 1.5-2 wins)

I have no issues. I don’t think anyone doesn’t wish they added more wins. 

If they are going this route I would rather they do this and add than be cheap with the bench as well. 

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

fWAR is far better. But CoC is ultimately right. If you have a bone to pick and just can't get over it (like everyone seems to have with Odor) you will use the other to make your case. 

Never hurts to use both or at the very least site which one your using.  Would be easier if we decided to use one or the other.  I think I prefer fwar.