Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

Just now, RZNJ said:

No point in digging for something that isn’t there.  Seems like a waste of time, doesn’t it?

Dude, I don't think highly enough of you to be baited into digging it up.

Kinda sad you want to try and hammer this point home but you be you.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Dude?  LOL

I think you’re confused by something another poster said or something a writer theorized.   You don’t have to admit you might be wrong.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Never hurts to use both or at the very least site which one your using.  Would be easier if we decided to use one or the other.  I think I prefer fwar.

Depends what I’m using them for.  I find BB-ref easier to use for various purposes , so I tend to use rWAR.  The pitching version of fWAR is strongly FIP-based and often spits out results I refuse to accept.  Examples:

- Ubaldo Jimenez was somehow worth 4.8 fWAR as an Oriole, despite producing a 4.62 ERA here.   Sorry, but no.  I’ll take 0.1 rWAR as the better measure for him every time.  

- After signing his big deal to return to the Orioles, Sidney Ponson was credited with 3.0 fWAR in 2004 for throwing to a 5.30 ERA (86 ERA+), then 1.0 fWAR for throwing to a 6.21 ERA (70 ERA+) before being kicked off the team.  That’s insanity!  rWAR put him at 1.4 and -1.3 for those two seasons.   I don’t know what fWAR was smoking there.   

Those are two examples that pop readily to mind, but there are a number of others.  They say that because fWAR relies heavily on FIP, it’s a better predictor of future success than rWAR, but I’m not interested in future success when measuring a pitcher’s current value, and I’m not sure it’s a better predictor anyway.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree, hombre.  I get that you like the upgrades they've made this off-season so far and that's fine.  I'll agree that these players should be better.  

I just don't think they'll be significantly better.  I mean, Frazier had a lower OPS than Odor last year, so I'm hoping his glove is somehow significantly better.  

But why not sign guys to free up at bats for rookies?  I'd much rather see someone like Westburg get a shot at 2nd base instead of Frazier.  Frazier's best days are behind him, Westburg has a chance to be a very solid every day player.  I am confident that Westburg could surpass the numbers that Frazier put up last year and I don't think it'd be particularly close.

In other words, save 8 million and play someone who's being considered a key piece to this rebuild and get better production.  

I don't think anyone's naive enough to think that rookies won't struggle, but there's upside there that they can get past their struggles and make a breakthrough.  Odor struggling all last year wasn't going to get any better.  That's the difference, you want to watch guys who have an upside to see if they're going to show signs of figuring it out.  There's no upside for Frazier.  There was no upside for Odor.  

Again, you seem to think this team so far has added "much better" depth.  I don't.  

They have added $12M to improve the depth of the team. I don’t love these moves. I see the logic in them. 

I don’t agree that a team that views themselves as a contender should hand at bats to rookies without a safety net. Frazier does not mean they don’t like Westburg. Things happen, things go wrong. By making that move and not forcing a trade of say a Urias he has depth to deal with it. I think this club has the best options at the big league level and when you combine the AAA talent they have had in a very long time. I’m not saying this is the best team. That said I don’t recall so many options if injuries or poor play happen. They literally have at least two capable players at most positions. I think if Mountcastle doesn’t hit they are in big trouble at 1B. 

Westburg is a call away. Vavra can still help. Cowser will be here soon. I’m fine if they deal someone but it better be for the right player. 

The rotation is one thing, but that view shouldn’t skew our view on the bullpen or our position players. The bullpen is rock solid. As far as position players go, we have them right on the cusp…

Westburg ETA OD

Cowser ETA June

Norby ETA June/July

Ortiz ETA June/July

Mayo ETA September 

That’s four big time prospects that are really close. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kinda sad you want to try and hammer this point home but you be you.

Almost as sad as someone who can’t admit that maybe Elias never actually said anything about acquiring a MOO bat.  With the internet today it seems almost impossible that no one can actually find it.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Almost as sad as someone who can’t admit that maybe Elias never actually said anything about acquiring a MOO bat.  With the internet today it seems almost impossible that no one can actually find it.   

I did, like 36 minutes ago.

I conceded the point.

And for some reason your fetish with me won't let you just accept that gracefully.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, because we picked up Adam Frazier, Franchy Cordero and Ryan O'Hearn.  If Nomar Mazara sets foot into Camden Yards this season, I might break a window at the Warehouse.

Here's a potential Sunday punt lineup, you tell me if you like it:

Frazier:  SS

Cordero:  RF

Urias:  3B

Santander:  DH

Vavra:  2B

Hays:  LF

O'Hearn:  1B

McKenna:  CF

McCann C

Lineups like that are why I don't drive to Clearwater to watch Spring Training games.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I conceded the point.

And for some reason your fetish with me won't let you just accept that gracefully.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I conceded the point.

So, you concede that Elias never indicated that he would acquire a MOO bat?   That’s a yes or no.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you concede that Elias never indicated that he would acquire a MOO bat?   That’s a yes or no.  

You are shameless.

You yourself said

that maybe Elias never actually said anything about acquiring a MOO bat.

Eighteen minutes ago.

And you've already moved the goalposts.

Pure shamelessness.

You might have a problem.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what I’m using them for.  I find BB-ref easier to use for various purposes , so I tend to use rWAR.  The pitching version of fWAR is strongly FIP-based and often spits out results I refuse to accept.  Examples:

- Ubaldo Jimenez was somehow worth 4.8 fWAR as an Oriole, despite producing a 4.62 ERA here.   Sorry, but no.  I’ll take 0.1 rWAR as the better measure for him every time.  

- After signing his big deal to return to the Orioles, Sidney Ponson was credited with 3.0 fWAR in 2004 for throwing to a 5.30 ERA (86 ERA+), then 1.0 fWAR for throwing to a 6.21 ERA (70 ERA+) before being kicked off the team.  That’s insanity!  rWAR put him at 1.4 and -1.3 for those two seasons.   I don’t know what fWAR was smoking there.   

Those are two examples that pop readily to mind, but there are a number of others.  They say that because fWAR relies heavily on FIP, it’s a better predictor of future success than rWAR, but I’m not interested in future success when measuring a pitcher’s current value, and I’m not sure it’s a better predictor anyway.  

bWAR had Jorge Mateo and Bo Bichette as equal players last year. That’s absolutely ludicrous. Pitcher WAR is certainly a very divisive topic to this day. Position player wise I don’t think there’s much of a debate between the two.

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

bWAR had Jorge Mateo and Bo Bichette as equal players last year. That’s absolutely ludicrous. Pitcher WAR is certainly a very divisive topic to this day. Position player wise I don’t think there’s much of a debate between the two.

Also one flavor of WAR counts catcher framing and the other doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are shameless.

You yourself said

Eighteen minutes ago.

And you've already moved the goalposts.

Pure shamelessness.

You might have a problem.

I am ashamed.  Yes or no.  Do you believe it’s possible that Elias, himself, never spoke about acquiring a MOO bat this off-season?

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Nah, I didn't actually. 

Who is saying he is getting that many games over at DH and first??? The worst national baseball reporter and the worst Orioles beat writer have speculated an amount of games he will play. No one else, including McCann himself have said anything else other than he may fill in there on occasion. He also said that he was told Adley could play there as well. That seems to me that he may be catching more than we think with Adley sliding over to DH/1B more than he did last year. There's nothing wrong with that given that McCann is a good catcher who could reasonably be expected to hit around the MLB average for catchers and Adley will be fine with the bat at 1B/DH.

Santander will get plenty of run at DH. He started 35 games there last year and with Mancini gone I imagine that number will go up. That gives Stowers the opportunity to play more in the OF. Hyde and Elias have said Stowers is part of the plan in some capacity. Westburg and Ortiz could factor in or they could be traded. I don't think either of them are locks to be better than Adam Frazier next year so I don't see the point in complaining about it that much. Plus they could be traded. Everyone else is on a MiL deal or has options like O'Hearn. 

People are saying it who are connected to the Os. We will see if it plays out but if that’s the current plan, it’s stupid.

The rest of your post is just lol funny, so I’m just going to leave it alone.