Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias, Vavra, and Westburg could also play 1B if needed. If Mouncastle is injured and needs to miss a couple weeks we could always call Diaz up. I don't see the need for a dedicated backup defensive 1B taking up a roster spot. I'd rather have a guy who can hit and/or play the field in a variety of positions. As it is Diaz seems like a worse version of Nevin.

I don’t think it will be Diaz for one. I think it’s O’Hearn. That said it really doesn’t matter. Why do you think just anyone can play over there?

Mountcastle missed a couple of games consecutively last year, Nevin played there. All teams have someone who can play that spot. McCann can play there but he is also the backup C. This team is unique because the current roster does not need the usual utility player. 

We already have more than enough depth to cover those spots. How much playing time would Vavra get? You would never use him. You aren’t using Westburg and not playing regularly.  

The FO thinks based on how this roster is built that they can use this type of player. It’s the fact that Mateo/Urias are both here and not just one of them is why Vavra does not currently project to be here. If one gets dealt good chance he is with the team. All teams carry at least 4 bench players. Backup C, utility INF, 4th OF and then ????? The Orioles have McCann and McKenna. They also have basically 10 regulars more or less for 9 spots. Especially in the infield they have a ton of depth. They think a spot that can play 1B/DH/OF is a better fit than a traditional utility guy. 

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think it will be Diaz for one. I think it’s O’Hearn. That said it really doesn’t matter. Why do you think just anyone can play over there?

Mountcastle missed a couple of games consecutively last year, Nevin played there. All teams have someone who can play that spot. McCann can play there but he is also the backup C. This team is unique because the current roster does not need the usual utility player. 

We already have more than enough depth to cover those spots. How much playing time would Vavra get? You would never use him. You aren’t using Westburg and not playing regularly.  

The FO thinks based on how this roster is built that they can use this type of player. It’s the fact that Mateo/Urias are both here and not just one of them is why Vavra does not currently project to be here. If one gets dealt good chance he is with the team. All teams carry at least 4 bench players. Backup C, utility INF, 4th OF and then ????? The Orioles have McCann and McKenna. They also have basically 10 regulars more or less for 9 spots. Especially in the infield they have a ton of depth. They think a spot that can play 1B/DH/OF is a better fit than a traditional utility guy. 

I'm OK with that but give me a guy who can actually hit. I don't know why we would be concerned about 1B defense for a guy who isn't going to play more than a few games. 

Nevin is a good comp for Lewin. Nevin was terrible. Teams used to get by with 12. You have the extra spot. Why use it on a defensive 1B? 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm OK with that but give me a guy who can actually hit. I don't know why we would be concerned about 1B defense for a guy who isn't going to play more than a few games. 

Nevin is a good comp for Lewin. Nevin was terrible. Teams used to get by with 12. You have the extra spot. Why use it on a defensive 1B? 

This is a 26th man spot. You aren’t wedded to the player for a ton of at bats. You can try different options. My guess is they want Diaz to be the main 1B at AAA if they can pull it off. 

Where would you use it?  You have to have a minimum of 4 bench players like you said. Can only carry 13 arms max. If it’s not  1B/DH type it’s someone else. 

They are going to cherry pick some spot starts here and there. Maybe a pinch hit spot. Play in blowout games. Most clubs in baseball unless it’s a top prospect at AAA do not have high end depth at 1B. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is a 26th man spot. You aren’t wedded to the player for a ton of at bats. You can try different options. My guess is they want Diaz to be the main 1B at AAA if they can pull it off. 

Where would you use it?  You have to have a minimum of 4 bench players like you said. Can only carry 13 arms max. If it’s not  1B/DH type it’s someone else. 

They are going to cherry pick some spot starts here and there. Maybe a pinch hit spot. Play in blowout games. Most clubs in baseball unless it’s a top prospect at AAA do not have high end depth at 1B. 

Yes, Diaz to AAA. We agree. I'm not sure what you're arguing now. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, Diaz to AAA. We agree. I'm not sure what you're arguing now. 

I’m just saying I think it makes sense whoever the player is to be a 1B/DH type over Vavra. I’m also saying a spot projected for limited at bats is going to be held by a flawed player. They also can try different guys there if they don’t like the production they have from someone. We could in theory see multiple players get a shot at that role. 

We are not going to have a proven player in that type of a role. We have poor depth at that spot in the organization as well. 

Edited by eddie83

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

This is the kind of thing where it makes me think there is some kind of new salary floor for MLB teams. Some kind of quiet thing to appease the MLBPA.

Or just the other teams that are tired of the money they put into revenue sharing going into the pockets of the other owners.