Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

On 1/3/2023 at 6:45 PM, maybenxtyr said:

To me, this puts to rest the idea that Westburg was going to learn 1B and get 4 starts a week around the IF. 

At this point it's not worth arguing about the need for O'Hearn or Frazier, but more about what does this mean for the MiL guys that I thought were going to get a legitimate shot in '23? Besides, they could have kept Nevin on the roster as a backup 1B for the minimum over paying O'Hearn 1.4.

I was partially correct, at least about Westburg. 

Obviously O'Hearn has been above and beyond what Nevin has been.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, Sports Guy said:

No it doesn’t. Our need exists for a player who is good. He hasn’t had an OpS over 650 since 2018.

Just because he stands in the left handed batters box, doesn’t mean he is fits a need.

This one didn't age well.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, Yardball85 said:

Not that I wanted Hosmer, but he would have been preferable to O'Hearn. 

In hindsight, Hosmer wouldn't have been referrable just based on age.

On 1/3/2023 at 7:06 PM, Sports Guy said:

Why do they keep signing guys that aren’t good?

On 1/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, HakunaSakata said:

Does Ryan O'Hearn really even belong on a MLB roster? Certainly not a good one. I mean, the Kanas City Royals didn't want him for god's sake. 

On 1/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Wife:  Who's this guy they got from the Royals yesterday?

Moose:  O'Hearn.  He's not good.

Wife:  WHY THE **** ARE THEY GETTING ALL THESE BAD PLAYERS?

A lot of us missed on O'Hearn.  Glad he's here, glad he's mashing, glad he's making it hard for prospects to come up.  He's an important part of this team.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, Tony-OH said:

You better watch out, the Optimists will come after you if you doubt their baseball King. 

Think about this for a bit. 

We left 2022 all exciting, being told we were going on a liftoff from here on out. 

Since then Elias has added one good reliever in Givens, replaced Lyles with Gibson, and now has added Frazier and O'Hearn for a combined $9.4 million. 

Can't make this offseason up.

Funny how it works out when Guys like Elias and his front office Know more than us( you're pick Givens ,not so much) Frazier yes , Ohearn in Spades

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A lot of us missed on O'Hearn.  Glad he's here, glad he's mashing, glad he's making it hard for prospects to come up.  He's an important part of this team.

“Print the Playoff Tickets”. 

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Your wife needs a lesson from Pickles's mom

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's a LH 1B. Our prospects aren't. Seems to me that he's more likely to be kept next year than people might realize, freeing up someone like Kjerstad for a trade.

I'm not guaranteeing this by any means, but it wouldn't shock me.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yea..I wasn’t as vehement as others and I believed I mentioned that he did have some good batted ball data but it definitely was a signing that left most of us a little befuddled, especially because they were giving him gtd money and seemingly, a gtd roster spot (didn’t get it on OD but did shortly after) in a year where they were supposed to be contending.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He's a LH 1B. Our prospects aren't. Seems to me that he's more likely to be kept next year than people might realize, freeing up someone like Kjerstad for a trade.

I'm not guaranteeing this by any means, but it wouldn't shock me.

It may just be semantics but they aren’t going to trade Kjerstad because OHearn is here.

They could elect to trade Kjerstad for pitching they need and perhaps knowing OHearn is here makes it easier to do that but I think they would prefer to have Kjerstad at his salary vs OHearn at his 2025 salary.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It may just be semantics but they aren’t going to trade Kjerstad because OHearn is here.

They could elect to trade Kjerstad for pitching they need and perhaps knowing OHearn is here makes it easier to do that but I think they would prefer to have Kjerstad at his salary vs OHearn at his 2025 salary.

Yeah. I don't think we're disagreeing, but O'Hearn being a decent 1b and LF bat fills two needs, whereas Kjerstad is really just a bat that they'll try to find a place to play. On the other hand, if Santander leaves, there's more room for both.

So I wouldn't trade Kjerstad straight up for O'Hearn, but the latter gives Elias some flexibility assume O'Hearn would resign at a pretty low price.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:40 AM, Tony-OH said:

Nice reference. I wish he was Jim Dwyer. From 1981-1987 Dwyer slashed  .263/.360/.442/.801 for the Orioles.

Better than Dwyer? For the moment, I’d say it worked out. He has been a very good pinch hitter as advertised, too. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Overall, O’Hearn was a very slick pickup. Getting him to agree to the $3 million team option for 2025 was a slick move as well. He probably shouldn’t play RF, but stuff happens over a long season and we may see that again. I think the bad feelings of the Crush Davis contract rubbed off a little on O’Hearn. Just similar looking players. 

He’s not blocking Kjerstad. Kjerstad is our Santa replacement. Stowers is just being blocked because he’s LH and he’s behind the other LH hitting OF types in the MLB. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Overall, O’Hearn was a very slick pickup. Getting him to agree to the $3 million team option for 2025 was a slick move as well. He probably shouldn’t play RF, but stuff happens over a long season and we may see that again. I think the bad feelings of the Crush Davis contract rubbed off a little on O’Hearn. Just similar looking players. 

He’s not blocking Kjerstad. Kjerstad is our Santa replacement. Stowers is just being blocked because he’s LH and he’s behind the other LH hitting OF types in the MLB. 

It's a $7.5m team option for 2025. I'm not sure the O's will pick it up.

Agreed that Kjerstad is blocked by Santander more than by O'Hearn though, and that O'Hearn and Kjerstad could coexist on the same roster in 2025. Quite a lot will change between now and then, I'm sure.

I'm old enough to remember the days of arguing about :::swoon::: Kasey Kotchman, so I don't begrudge a lot of people "missing," on O'Hearn. Especially because it was totally reasonable to think that he wouldn't have been the impact player he has become. 

• Haha 1