Gibson has a new pitch; Adley praise

Sports Guy

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

My question is if this is something he is working on on his own(or a third party training/coaching program) or if this is a result of the Orioles system and analytics?  

From Steve Melewski’s Closer Look at Kyle Gibson’s Late-Season Strikeout Surge that he put out about a month ago:

“I also did something that early in the year I probably would have told you that was crazy," Gibson said. "But I tweaked my slider. And turned it into a pitch that moved more horizontally to the left, and actually went down less. So, you guys have probably heard the term a sweeper slider. I was throwing a bullpen before my start late September against the Braves and Caleb (Cotham), the pitching coach, came up and said, ‘Hey, what do you think about messing with your slider today?’ That’s been my best pitch my whole career, so it was a little interesting conversation, but I said ‘Yeah, let’s try it.’

“Four days later or three days later I’m throwing it in a game and I probably got more swing-and-miss on sliders, even more so than I normally did, than I probably have in a while. So, I think those two things, to me, along with using my pitches better in the month of September at times, probably led to the uptick in Ks.”

He’s not kidding about getting swings and misses in that start against Atlanta, when he actually allowed five runs over five innings. He fanned nine and got 25 whiffs on 51 Atlanta swings, according to Baseball Savant. And while baseball-reference.com credits him with 22 swings and misses, either number is easily a season-best for him.

To be clear, Gibson primarily credited a largely unexplained uptick in velocity for the increased swing-and-miss, but it does look like he’d been dabbling in the “sweeper” game even before joining up with the Wizard. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

“I also did something that early in the year I probably would have told you that was crazy," Gibson said. "But I tweaked my slider. And turned it into a pitch that moved more horizontally to the left, and actually went down less. So, you guys have probably heard the term a sweeper slider. I was throwing a bullpen before my start late September against the Braves and Caleb (Cotham), the pitching coach, came up and said, ‘Hey, what do you think about messing with your slider today?’ That’s been my best pitch my whole career, so it was a little interesting conversation, but I said ‘Yeah, let’s try it.’

That's about the same thing Holt was telling Spenser Watkins in David Laurila's recent feature on him.

Maybe Chris Holt and Caleb Cotham are just 3D-printed androids from Pitching Skynet.

As for batting averages, temporarily...

Edited by Just Regular