Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Mountcastle is swinging a little better since his return than he was in the several weeks before he went on the IL.   However, he’s just as impatient as ever.  He hasn’t drawn a walk in the 25 PA since he returned and I’ve seen him swinging at the first pitch and/or swinging at pitches outside the zone a ton.  I’m fine with this platoon situation for now, but I don’t think Mountcastle is a long-term piece for this team.

On another note, was anyone surprised that Mountcastle’s homer was measured as longer (451 feet) than the one Gunnar hit on Sunday (446 feet)?  

He absolutely belted that ball, it was a laser. If he had a bit more launch angle on that it's over the batter's eye out there probably the longest HR for an Oriole this season. It hit the wall, hard.

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What are his stats since returning?

In his last 15 games he’s posted .316/.366/.553

Not sure on exact numbers since his return but I’d think those 15 games are close to what he’s played since he came off the IL. 

Just a quiet comment so as not to upset the applecart... but Mountcastle is extremely streaky... and we've already suffered the pain...

But he's

.324  .375  .568

.943 for July

And if he stays hot in August... this could be quite a show      

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Just a quiet comment so as not to upset the applecart... but Mountcastle is extremely streaky... and we've already suffered the pain...

But he's

.324  .375  .568

.943 for July

And if he stays hot in August... this could be quite a show      

He seems to be thriving a bit in this new role. Maybe he isn’t a guy who needs 500+ ABs in a season to be productive. Maybe less is more with him.

While he was on the IL/rehab he adjusted his stance a little bit and his approach seems to be (more) in-line with the org’s desired approach to working counts and be (more) selective. He’s not chasing nearly as much and has increased his contact rate.

If this is who Mountcastle can be in 300ish ABs in a year, I’ll take it. 

Edited by banks703