Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

Reading this story about Austin Nola's undiagnosed concussion, makes me wonder if that is what they are describing as Mountcastle's "vertigo". It caused "eye movement" issue and difficulty tracking pitches. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2023-09-02/padres-catcher-austin-nola-on-the-road-to-recovery-following-diagnosis-of-vision-issue

Could Mountcastle have gotten a concussion on that play he was hit in the neck on that play at the plate vs Blue Jays? 

On 8/27/2023 at 9:56 AM, ShoelesJoe said:

Since June 1st Mountcastle has put up .343 / .409 / .550 / .959. 

What exactly do we know about his "vertigo" problems? If they've been resolved then is it possible that this is who he is going forward, give or take a mini-slump every couple of months? 

If you've never experienced vertigo it can be a vexing problem. When I was going through training for my instrument rating on my pilot's certificate my instructor tried to induce vertigo so I would have some experience with it. He would do this by having me put my head down and close my eyes while he put the plane through some maneuvers and then, while the aircraft was in an unusual attitude, would have me open my eyes and recover. It never worked during this training but a few years later I was flying out of a airport at night in my twin-engine Beech Baron when it happened. After taking off and establishing a positive rate of climb I reached down to retract the landing gear and the flaps, when I looked back up, my sight picture just “melted” like a Salvador Dali painting – everything in my field of vision shifted to the right and downward as if it were disappearing down a shower drain. It was a momentary loss of visual and spatial orientation that is hard to describe. As my field of vision stabilized, I focused on the attitude indicator to hold the plane straight and level. The whole thing lasted a couple of seconds but it was very disorienting and I've never forgotten it. That was 20 years ago and thankfully it has never happened again. My brother wasn't quite so lucky. He was a helicopter pilot and after 30 years of flying began experiencing intermittent vertigo outside the cockpit. He could never get it under control well enough to resume flying and he lost his medical certificate. 

When my instructor pilot was trying to induce vertigo by putting the aircraft through some unusual attitudes, steep turns, etc. he said he was trying to “unhinge my gyros.” After finally experiencing it for myself years later I thought his was an apt description of what it feels like. Here's hoping that Mountcastle's bought with it was temporary.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is it with folks putting the word vertigo in quotes?  

No one is saying the Mountain has a "UCL strain".

It's an unusual injury and the organization has given us zero details as to it's cause or treatment. It's possible that it was completely spontaneous but I was also speculating that it was concussion related so I think it is clear why I used quotes in my post. Admittedly that is complete speculation but pro sports are known to have issues diagnosing concussions.

16 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Bringing it back to the question about Hyde's testy response. 

Is there any logical explanation for a response like that after a reporter simply asking if this was related to his previous issue with vertigo?

My reading of it is that he couldn't say no but didn't want to say yes, so he just repeated his statement. I think if it was definitely unrelated (virus, etc) he would have said so. Which leads me to believe it is related, Hyde just doesn't want to confirm that. Admittedly speculative but I don't see an explanation that makes more sense than that.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

It's an unusual injury and the organization has given us zero details as to it's cause or treatment. It's possible that it was completely spontaneous but I was also speculating that it was concussion related so I think it is clear why I used quotes in my post. Admittedly that is complete speculation but pro sports are known to have issues diagnosing concussions.

If it wasn’t caused by anything on the field, what explanation would they give? Nobody gave a cause of Mancini’s cancer diagnosis. 

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If it wasn’t caused by anything on the field, what explanation would they give? Nobody gave a cause of Mancini’s cancer diagnosis. 

They often say flu like symptoms, stomach virus, etc. I can't recall hearing anything as vague as "under the weather," and the vagueness around Mountcastle's vertigo, as well as in Hyde's response, leads me to conclude that they know more than they are telling us. Again, Hyde could have easily said no, it's unrelated, but he didn't. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

My reading of it is that he couldn't say no but didn't want to say yes, so he just repeated his statement. I think if it was definitely unrelated (virus, etc) he would have said so. Which leads me to believe it is related, Hyde just doesn't want to confirm that. Admittedly speculative but I don't see an explanation that makes more sense than that.

Seems to be a pattern/conscious decision by this regime to be purposely cryptic with injuries/illness.

Exact same methodology with Bautista a week and a half after his injury, not offering any details  and not making him available to the media.

19 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Seems to be a pattern/conscious decision by this regime to be purposely cryptic with injuries/illness.

Exact same methodology with Bautista a week and a half after his injury, not offering any details  and not making him available to the media.

Eventually the gambling concerns will force teams to be more forthcoming with injury information.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eventually the gambling concerns will force teams to be more forthcoming with injury information.

With as much money as these gambling apps are paying to MLB teams to inundate the fans with gambling odds throughout ballgames, at some point there could potentially be a concern for more openness surrounding injuries and availability similar to the NFL. 

Now the one big difference is that teams can put players on the IL so you know they are not available, which is good enough for the daily gambler. With a 162 game schedule vs the 17 of an NFL schedule, a player missing a few games is a lot less meaningful then whether a QB is going to play or not and besides, players are sat all the time for various reasons and I doubt it typically affects the odds too much (I'll be honest, I don't do sports betting so maybe someone else can attest to this or not).

I guess I just don't see the odds changing all that much over player availability with MLB gambling to warrant too much concern over teams being koy with injury diagnosis and availability. 

In case you don't remember, there is a little thing called HIPAA....unless a player says "Go ahead and tell the World of my medical conditions" he has and should have the right to privacy. Even Vegas and betting does not have the right..and they are smart enough to adjust their odds accordingly despite not knowing exactly the problem.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

They often say flu like symptoms, stomach virus, etc. I can't recall hearing anything as vague as "under the weather," and the vagueness around Mountcastle's vertigo, as well as in Hyde's response, leads me to conclude that they know more than they are telling us. Again, Hyde could have easily said no, it's unrelated, but he didn't. 

He also could’ve just felt like it’s nobody’s business and doesn’t want to allow speculation on his condition every time he sits out a couple of games. There’s no obligation to say whether it was flu or vertigo or anything.