NRI list for ST

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say about the only name not on the list that I thought we might see is Justin Armbruester.     Maybe another catcher or two, too.  

The Orioles are usually cautious at bringing in starters so they don't get them started too early and out of their routine as a starter. This year though, the AAA season starts on March 31st so maybe they don't mind those guys getting started a little earlier than usual which is why Povich is in for a look.

Either way, Povich will most likely be an early cut and sent back to minor league camp to get his routine started. 

I think we may see an extra catcher or two behind the scenes, but not necessarily officially invited because that is a small amount to catch bullpens early in the year.

• Thanks 1

I think 30 is a bit higher # than we normally have for non-roster invitees.   There will be 70 guys in camp by Feb 23!   Of course we have at least 4 guys leaving for the WBC the first week of March, and Vespi is probably sidelined for most of camp.

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think 30 is a bit higher # than we normally have for non-roster invitees.   There will be 70 guys in camp by Feb 23!   Of course we have at least 4 guys leaving for the WBC the first week of March, and Vespi is probably sidelined for most of camp.

I think that's the reason for the slightly bloated NRI this year. 

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think Darwinzon probably will get an invite if he clears waivers and is outrighted to Norfolk.

Yeah, prolly... It seems to me that LHP is the biggest deficiency on the club. Irvin should help but it looks like we going to be relying on Akin (who faded badly) and Perez (our most obvious regression candidate), so I'd like to see a couple more projects like Darwinzon Hernandez in ST.

We do have an overweight of LHSP at the top of the minors though, so we should see a couple of those guys get ready quickly. And Means will return... so LHSP should be okay.

The depth at LHRP scares me, though. Vespi, Hernandez, Lucas, McGough?? Maybe we convert Zimmermann, Lowther, and Kevin Smith to full-time RP's?

When do the Brad Hand and Jose Alvarez types accept a minor league deal with a ST invite and opt-out? Time's running out... We should be talking to guys like that. (Smith, Chafin, Britton, Wilson, Moore... there aren't enough musical chairs.)

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles are usually cautious at bringing in starters so they don't get them started too early and out of their routine as a starter. This year though, the AAA season starts on March 31st so maybe they don't mind those guys getting started a little earlier than usual which is why Povich is in for a look.

Either way, Povich will most likely be an early cut and sent back to minor league camp to get his routine started. 

I think we may see an extra catcher or two behind the scenes, but not necessarily officially invited because that is a small amount to catch bullpens early in the year.

Do you think Povich begins the season in AAA or AA?