Elias makes two things clear; 1st base and Irvin

wildcard

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Fair enough and I'm all for competitive advantages, but at the same time changing the dimensions of the ballpark rather than placing an emphasis on the development and/or acquisition of young pitching seems just as extreme to me. And prior to this season, have teams really moved their walls that frequently? Maybe they have, and I'm just not remembering. In hindsight, maybe using the word "ruined" was a bit too harsh, but I think OPACY definitely looked better before the change.  

Yeah I actually shouldn't have said all the time, I honestly don't know and was basing it on recent examples. And I'm definitely not going to take time looking it up lol.

I don't think it's an and/or with the pitching necessarily either. They know they need pitching of course. I think their emphasis thus far has been about adding value safely in every move, and the safest way to do that was to draft bats over pitchers. Once they have surplus value in the bats, then they can trade from a position of strength. That's starting to play out now and I expect it will continue.

With the park dimensions, I imagine they think it'll help the veteran FA market and their future heavy LH lineup. Admittedly that veteran market was for guys on 1 year deals like Gibson, and I agree that shouldn't be their only approach to bringing in pitching. But im conjunction with the trade potential of their bats, I think they'll find ways to add young quality SPs.

I also think picking in the mid (to hopefully late) first round may influence their risk analysis on pitchers too. Missing at the beginning of a rebuild on a top 5 pick is a lot more damaging than missing on a mid-late first round pitcher once the minor league system is developed.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No. Elias did mention that Santander had taken some reps there, and that they had Adley play some 1B in the minors.  

Interesting. I thought Stowers might be a fit there especially since he didn’t look to fluid in the out field last year grant it was a sss. Maybe he looks less fluid at first. Didn’t he play some 1st base Norfolk or am I mistaken? 

4 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Interesting. I thought Stowers might be a fit there especially since he didn’t look to fluid in the out field last year grant it was a sss. Maybe he looks less fluid at first. Didn’t he play some 1st base Norfolk or am I mistaken? 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=stower000kyl

6 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Perhaps they could have just tried to develop BOTH pitchers and hitters as opposed to ruining the aesthetics and charm of the best ballpark in baseball? I mean, look at the Reds. The play in a bandbox and they have a TON of great young arms in their system. And it's not like Elias didn't know the dimensions of the ballpark when he took the job. 

Playing in a stadium with tiny dimensions totally prevents a team from signing top free agents pitchers.  Look at the Yankees.