PLEASE BEWARE OF SCAMMERS.

Snutchy

Just an FYI, there is a scammer or scammers out there pretending to be Gary Roenicke. 

This individual or individuals have been posting on multiple Facebook groups pretending to be Gary selling-off his personal memorabilia. I’ve even been messaged personally on Facebook from this individual asking for permission to post on the Facebook group.

Well, it finally just happened to the main board. 

IT IS A SCAM!

I have a friend who has reached out to Gary. Gary has confirmed that this is false and someone is pretending to be him. Don’t get scammed!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

• Snutchy changed the title to PLEASE BEWARE OF SCAMMERS.

Thanks for the heads up Snutchy.

Scammers are the worst.  My in-laws have both recently passed.  A few years ago, we didn't hear from them for a day or so, which was unusual.

Turns out some scammers had called them, telling them they were the police and they had them pegged for a murder they committed in Texas.  My in-laws have never even been to Texas.  But this guy gave them an (obviously fake) case number, ID number, etc.  Said if they didn't do what he asked he had a detective 5-minutes away ready to arrest them.  Had them go to Target, buy several hundred dollars worth of gift cards (might even have been more) and give him the numbers.

The ruse was up when he had them go to the bank.  They were going to transfer their entire savings to this guy.  Finally my father-in-law told the teller what was happening and she thankfully let them know that it was all a scam.  My MIL was still convinced that they were going to be arrested and was crying in the bank.

Anyway...I know it goes without saying, but scammers seriously suck.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of all the people to pretend to be.  That’s so random. 

But it made me pull up Gary Roenicke’s baseball reference page. He had some really good years. 

That's what makes the charade more believable. He was on the last WS team and has kinda just faded out of the spotlight. He is a name that a lot of older hardcore fans are going to remember.  No one is going to believe that Cal is selling memorabilia. They'll be more convinced that Gary is. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Just an FYI, there is a scammer or scammers out there pretending to be Gary Roenicke. 

This individual or individuals have been posting on multiple Facebook groups pretending to be Gary selling-off his personal memorabilia. I’ve even been messaged personally on Facebook from this individual asking for permission to post on the Facebook group.

Well, it finally just happened to the main board. 

IT IS A SCAM!

I have a friend who has reached out to Gary. Gary has confirmed that this is false and someone is pretending to be him. Don’t get scammed!

Thanks for your work on this Justin!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

But it made me pull up Gary Roenicke’s baseball reference page. He had some really good years. 

Earl used the Roenicke/Lowenstein platoon so well.   Combined stats for all Orioles in LF during the ‘79-‘83 run:

1979: .257/.349/.510, 37 HR 90 RBI

1980: .294/.387/.437, 17 HR 61 RBI

1982: .283/.378/.545, 36 HR 104 RBI

1983: .295/.368/.525, 34 HR 113 RBI

I conveniently omitted the strike-shortened 1981 season, when the left fielders mysteriously produced a collective .634 OPS.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Earl used the Roenicke/Lowenstein platoon so well.   Combined stats for all Orioles in LF during the ‘79-‘83 run:

1979: .257/.349/.510, 37 HR 90 RBI

1980: .294/.387/.437, 17 HR 61 RBI

1982: .283/.378/.545, 36 HR 104 RBI

1983: .395/.368/.525, 34 HR 113 RBI

I conveniently omitted the strike-shortened 1981 season, when the left fielders mysteriously produced a collective .634 OPS.

Those are some fantastic numbers out of LF. 

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

10 hours ago, Snutchy said:

That's what makes the charade more believable. He was on the last WS team and has kinda just faded out of the spotlight. He is a name that a lot of older hardcore fans are going to remember.  No one is going to believe that Cal is selling memorabilia. They'll be more convinced that Gary is. 

This was exactly my theory when I saw the post last night. People would call BS if Eddie Murray or Cal Ripken would be claiming to sell memorabilia from a random OH post. They would make a more formal announcement and likely have an auction company represent them.

But someone who was a good player in his day and who never really made big money? That might seem believable to some fans. Roenicke is not on a fame level where he would have an agent or company to partner with him on sell his personal items.

It’s all the more believable because Roenicke offers videos on Cameo for $40 each (a site where you can get short personalized for others or yourself, like wishing someone a happy birthday or such).

(other Orioles of note on Cameo:

Brooks for $300

Murray or Dempsey for $150

Adam Jones or Aubrey Huff for $100

Steve Pearce for $45

Jeremy Guthrie for $35

Tyler Wells for $25)

Really, Dempsey, $150?  🙄

7 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

It’s all the more believable because Roenicke offers videos on Cameo for $40 each (a site where you can get short personalized for others or yourself, like wishing someone a happy birthday or such).

(other Orioles of note on Cameo:

Brooks for $300

Murray or Dempsey for $150

Adam Jones or Aubrey Huff for $100

Steve Pearce for $45

Jeremy Guthrie for $35

Tyler Wells for $25)

Really, Dempsey, $150?  🙄

Wonder if Huff would take $50 to just berate me about something? :D

• Haha 4