Matchups

wildcard

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

We just gotta play the games, man.  No need to overthink it. 

Elias/Hyde/Holt are no doubt thinking  about it.  They are thinking what are the most important factors in how they arrange the rotation.     So if they are thinking about it there is nothing wrong with us thinking about.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias/Hyde/Holt are no doubt thinking  about it.  They are thinking what are the most important factors in how they arrange the rotation.     So if they are thinking about it there is nothing wrong with us thinking about.

Unlike you, they aren't devoting all their time developing new and creative ways to say, "I don't like Cole Irvin"

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess is, they’ll think about it when opening day is < 2 weeks away.   They need to know who’s healthy, whose in sync or not, etc. before they get too granular with the rotation order.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My guess is, they’ll think about it when opening day is < 2 weeks away.   They need to know who’s healthy, whose in sync or not, etc. before they get too granular with the rotation order.  

Unlikely.    The O's mgt are openly saying that they intend to make the playoffs.  In so doing they have making a bet.    They are betting they can:

1) Take a veteran that had a 5.05 ERA in Gibson and  can turn him into a 3.75 ERA guy.   And do the same with Irvin you had a 5.29 ERA away from home and now he will play 29 or more games away from the Coliseum.     A 4.42 ERA like Lyles had will not do.   This time the O's need to have a rotation that is in the top 6 in the AL in ERA.   Holt better be as good as I hope he is.

2)  Take two guys that has good halves in Wells and Bradish and make them pitch a whole season like they did in halves.

3)  Get Kremer to repeat; get GRod to give them a good 100-120 innings.  Gets Means to come back  healthy and effectiveness for the 2nd half.   While hoping that Hall finds his command.   

I think a team starter 3.75 ERA is required to make the playoffs.  That may be good enough for 6th in the AL.

Its a aggressive task and they will be working hard on it from the first day of ST.   They have already did the planning of who needs to pitch vs what team.  Now they have to make it happen.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think much of your post addresses the question of what the order of the rotation should be to start the year.  I think the Orioles will want to observe the first part of spring training before making those decisions.   

Other than health I don't think spring training has much impact on roster construction issues.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think much of your post addresses the question of what the order of the rotation should be to start the year.  I think the Orioles will want to observe the first part of spring training before making those decisions.   

Holt and company want to do more than observe.  They need to improve pitches.  They already have profiles of Boston, Rangers, Yankees and A's.  I am sure they have plans on who they think can face who if they achieve what they want to do this ST.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Elias in particular seems pretty clear that he doesn't give a .......flying fig about spring training stats.

Its not about ST stats.   It about improving pitches.  You really think the O's are going to let Gibson and Irvin pitch like they did last season?

Just now, wildcard said:

Its not about ST stats.   It about improving pitches.  You really think the O's are going to let Gibson and Irvin pitch like they did last season?

I'm sure they are treating them like any other pitcher they saw on video before coming here.  They saw things, tried to convince them they saw some things they can tinker with, and the pitcher likely agreed to work with them.  I don't think i ever implied anything contradictory.   I'm hopeful they can improve on their numbers here.  We will see.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's can expect them to make some changes, but I don't expect to see Irvin and especially Gibson and his $10 million salary in the bullpen unless he is truly awful. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think the O's can expect them to make some changes, but I don't expect to see Irvin and especially Gibson and his $10 million salary in the bullpen unless he is truly awful. 

The OP has both pitchers in the rotation to begin the season.   Hope they are not awful but they are going to need to show they are the best O's pitchers for the job.  Elias/Hyde/Holt will have options this season.