Tate to begin year on IL plus other notes

eddie83

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trying to prevent an injury and having an injury are 2 different things.  

Is shoulder fatigue an injury?   They shut him down and told him not to throw all off-season.  I think it’s a case of preventing an injury from becoming a more serious or reoccurring injury.

Edited by RZNJ

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is shoulder fatigue an injury?   They shut him down and told him not to throw all off-season.  I think it’s a case of preventing an injury from becoming a more serious or reoccurring injury.

No, I don’t think that’s classified as an injury. I think it puts you on the doorstep of one though.

I was worried he had a strain or some actual structural issue with the shoulder. If it was nothing more than shutting him down and just resting the arm, that makes me feel a lot better Vs the initial reports we were seeing.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trying to prevent an injury and having an injury are 2 different things.  

I’d say it was a matter of degree.   Shoulder fatigue probably reflects some minor tissue damage.  They didn’t want it turning into something major.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d say it was a matter of degree.   Shoulder fatigue probably reflects some minor tissue damage.  They didn’t want it turning into something major.  

Interesting to note, he was shut down because of the knee discomfort more than anything else it appears.

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

After listening to Elias, and reading some player quotes, it looks like Tate is the only guy with any real issue.  As long as his forearm strain isn't code for needing TJ surgery, we're in good shape.

Forearm strain seems almost synonymous to TJ surgery to me.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ripken said:

After listening to Elias, and reading some player quotes, it looks like Tate is the only guy with any real issue.  As long as his forearm strain isn't code for needing TJ surgery, we're in good shape.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Forearm strain seems almost synonymous to TJ surgery to me.

I’m not optimistic when I hear forearm strain. That said I do feel the club is in better shape to fill in the middle relief arms than years past. The back end concerns me more in terms of options. The Bautista news doesn’t sound all that bad, so far..

• 2 months later...

Tate had a rehab appearance today, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER including a homer.  Struck out 1.  That’s his third appearance and he hasn’t looked good in any of them, allowing multiple hits each time and 1-2 runs in each.  I’m in no hurry to activate him. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tate had a rehab appearance today, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER including a homer.  Struck out 1.  That’s his third appearance and he hasn’t looked good in any of them, allowing multiple hits each time and 1-2 runs in each.  I’m in no hurry to activate him. 

Not only is he not pitching effectively but with the roster crunch in the O's pen there is no reason to promote him any time soon.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Any velocity information?

IIRC, he had a forearm strain which is often a precursor to elbow issus.  It's possible he's injured.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Until I see it happen, I won’t believe that he pitches for the Os this year.

You say this a lot, and you might be right, but plenty of pitchers pitch after forearm strains. So I'm not sure what's here to make you so sure other than a gut call. Which is fine, I like a good gut call. Just curious if there's anything you think definitely puts him into the forearm strain -> TJS camp rather than the "just a forearm strain" camp. 

He missed a lot of time, so I'm not surprised he's struggling in his rehab starts. He's kind of a feel pitcher anyway. Lot of mechanical changes last year. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

You say this a lot, and you might be right, but plenty of pitchers pitch after forearm strains. So I'm not sure what's here to make you so sure other than a gut call. Which is fine, I like a good gut call. Just curious if there's anything you think definitely puts him into the forearm strain -> TJS camp rather than the "just a forearm strain" camp. 

He missed a lot of time, so I'm not surprised he's struggling in his rehab starts. He's kind of a feel pitcher anyway. Lot of mechanical changes last year. 

I say it a lot?  When?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I say it a lot?  When?

I feel like you said it a couple times during spring training. Maybe I'm wrong and if so, my bad. 

Either way - curious about why you're so pessimistic on Tate's chances of a return.