Can Mateo and Mullins combine for 100 steals.

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Meh... I think it cheapens the stat. How many bases would Ricky Henderson or Lou Brock have stolen under the new rules?

Let’s see how many SB’s there are this year, and then we can guess at that.  But I think the days of baseball records being sacrosanct are over.

20 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Meh... I think it cheapens the stat. How many bases would Ricky Henderson or Lou Brock have stolen under the new rules?

Evolution is a thing.  I think it will make for a more entertaining game.  

MLB needs to do absolutely everything it can over the next decade to compete with soccer and basketball.  

19 minutes ago, yark14 said:

ahem....football....ahem

Football has its own issues and average age of viewer is also in 50s.  It’s an American phenomenon and unsellable in other countries.  Only Americans will sit through 3hr of commercials to see 15 minutes of game action.  Soccer and Basketball are global sports and present the biggest competition long term.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You'd also be playing Gunnar at Short.

You talk about Mateo having a breakout year (3.4 rWAR) and a Fielding bible award as if Urias didn't have a breakout year(3.6rWAR) and a Gold Glove.

I have been a big fan of Urias, but Mateo’s work at SS was steady, if not spectacular. With all of the ground ball pitchers, for me personally, I would want the best possible infield defenders. I get all of the arguments, but this just sounds off. There has to be a deal in the works. You don’t just take the best defensive SS in baseball, according to Bill James, and make him into a part-time UT player. I guess I am wrong according to the masses here.

For the record, I want Gunnar to get a shot at SS. I think he is a star there. To get full value from Mateo in a trade, would it not make sense to feature him?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I have been a big fan of Urias, but Mateo’s work at SS was steady, if not spectacular. With all of the ground ball pitchers, for me personally, I would want the best possible infield defenders. I get all of the arguments, but this just sounds off. There has to be a deal in the works. You don’t just take the best defensive SS in baseball, according to Bill James, and make him into a part-time UT player. I guess I am wrong according to the masses here.

For the record, I want Gunnar to get a shot at SS. I think he is a star there. To get full value from Mateo in a trade, would it not make sense to feature him?

Am I missing something here?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/league?view=statcast&nav=pitching&season=2022

It looks to me like the Orioles were exactly league average in GB% at 43.6%.

• Upvote 1

I like the competitive nature between these guys, but it's not happening.  Mateo can't take a walk and if he plays will be hitting at 9th.  Even if he gets most PAs from SS, he'll likely lose PAs from last year with the IF crunch.  That puts the bulk of the load on Mullins.  The odds of 1 player breaking 50 is slim much less 2 combining for 100.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No one is touching Rickey’s record.

I was looking tonight at Henderson’s 130 SB season and Lou Brock’s 118 SB season.  Brock had 299 opportunities to steal a base, and stole 118 while being thrown out 33 times.   So, he attempted to steal 50.5% of the time that he had the chance.  Impressive.  But Henderson only had 225 SB opportunities, and he attempted a steal 172 times.  That’s a 76.4% attempted steal rate!  Amazing.   

in comparison, Mateo attempted a steal 44 times in 134 opportunities, or 32.8% of his chances.   Mullins was even more judicious, with 44 attempts in 269 opportunities, or 16.4% of his chances.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I doubt any deal is in the works.  But it's simple,  he's fantastic with the glove, but so poor with the bat it's just hard to have him in the lineup consistently if there are viable options.  Playing Gunnar over Mateo at short makes the overall team better.   Sure, the defense takes a small step back, but the offense takes a giant leap forward.  That said, I'm not sure I like moving Gunnar from 3rd, but if you ask me who I'd rather be on the bench more, Mateo or Urias,  to make room for Gunnar, I'm sitting Mateo.  I think Mateo needs to come out of the gate quickly, swinging a hot bat, or else he's going into a utility/part time role, Pending injuries of course.