2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I hate when they keep injured players on the active roster in the hope that they recover more quickly than the IL stint length.

Probably helped us yesterday. The guys who aren't supposed to get bunts down have done it successfully and the ones who should be able to can't.

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Defensive OF replacement. He could be playing for Hicks tonight who apparently is awful against Verlander. 

Hicks is on fire right now and McKenna is RH. No way he should be starting and the odds of him making a diffence on defense are slim. I'd rather have Mountcastle whenever he is available. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hicks is on fire right now and McKenna is RH. No way he should be starting and the odds of him making a diffence on defense are slim. I'd rather have Mountcastle whenever he is available. 

He’s not available. That’s the point. Why keep an injured guy on the roster this long? The odds of needing Mateo to come flying home from 1B to tie a game are slim too, but he’s still here. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Verlander has pretty even splits, with RH batters hitting slightly better vs him

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He’s not available. That’s the point. Why keep an injured guy on the roster this long? The odds of needing Mateo to come flying home from 1B to tie a game are slim too, but he’s still here. 

Because you lose him automatically for 10 days. 2 days of Mountcastle is worth more than 10 days of a replacement level player.