Looks like this is how the rotation shakes out

interloper

Wells starts Saturday. Last 2 games don’t have anyone listed. 

Gibson today. Projected OD starter. We know Bradish, Kremer and Irvin are in. 

I think Wells is the competition for Grayson. Starting Wells would also allow another arm for pen. 

If Wells throws well Saturday I’ll guess that Grayson goes down. 

I strongly advocated for Grayson to be the fifth starter on the team in this thread and I still think that is what the Orioles should do. (His ERA was 2.62 in his weakest minor league season...he seems fully cooked).  But if Grayson ends up being sent down, then it's basically on him...and it's troubling that he has not pitched well when a spot was there for the taking. I really hope there's not another injury issue. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Grayson is a starter.   They need him to go between 5 and 6 innings per start.  The question is  how do they get him there?

Just keep putting him out there.  If he's healthy, he didn't turn into a pumpkin.   He looks healthy.   Just a matter of time before he gets his feet under him.   

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I strongly advocated for Grayson to be the fifth starter on the team in this thread and I still think that is what the Orioles should do. (His ERA was 2.62 in his weakest minor league season...he seems fully cooked).  But if Grayson ends up being sent down, then it's basically on him...and it's troubling that he has not pitched well when a spot was there for the taking. I really hope there's not another injury issue. 

I wouldn’t call it troubling. You don’t know what he is working on and what he is doing that he wouldn’t be doing “for real”.

George Kirby had a similar ERA last spring and had a big first year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t call it troubling. You don’t know what he is working on and what he is doing that he wouldn’t be doing “for real”.

George Kirby had a similar ERA last spring and had a big first year.

I hope it was a combination of Grayson working on stuff and a few missed plays in the field...but I'm beginning to worry that there's an injury or he's really out of whack. A couple of "working on things" starts are kind of expected, but it seems like his spot in the rotation may really be in jeopardy now due to how he's pitching in spring training.  Hopefully he's fine and starts the year on the ML roster, but I do find it troubling that he wasn't able to get past the fourth inning in his last spring training start. 

On the flip side, Wells is probably Grayson's only real competition for the fifth starter spot and Wells hasn't pitched better than Grayson. 

Hopefully all is well...but I sure wish Grayson had a better game last time out. 

43 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

If he was injured, he would not be pitching.

Unless he's hiding something or downplaying something. I would expect the Orioles to be extra cautious, but players do try to pitch or play through injuries, downplay injuries, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hope it was a combination of Grayson working on stuff and a few missed plays in the field...but I'm beginning to worry that there's an injury or he's really out of whack. A couple of "working on things" starts are kind of expected, but it seems like his spot in the rotation may really be in jeopardy now due to how he's pitching in spring training.  Hopefully he's fine and starts the year on the ML roster, but I do find it troubling that he wasn't able to get past the fourth inning in his last spring training start. 

On the flip side, Wells is probably Grayson's only real competition for the fifth starter spot and Wells hasn't pitched better than Grayson. 

Hopefully all is well...but I sure wish Grayson had a better game last time out. 

He’s definitely not hurt.

He could have a few mechanical issues or something like that.

If his spot is in jeopardy, it’s only in jeopardy for a month.  It’s not the end of the world.  I don’t like it and I wish he was here from the get go but you can always argue that it’s a poor business decision not to wait and increase your chances of getting the extra year.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just keep putting him out there.  If he's healthy, he didn't turn into a pumpkin.   He looks healthy.   Just a matter of time before he gets his feet under him.   

Reluctantly, I think this is where I’m at.  Grayson isn’t at his sharpest, and he’s probably going to take some lumps in the early going, but eventually it will be worth it.   I wish he’d just dazzled all spring and made this decision a no-brainer, but he didn’t.  Still, I’d put him out there and have a plan each game to have a long man available in case it’s one of those games where Grayson starts fizzling in the 3rd/4th inning.   

• Upvote 2