Othani discussion

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Doesn't care about "Asian" culture, yet gave up a ton of money to play on the west coast because of the commute to Japan.

that-makes-sense-hubie-dubois.gif

Not only that, it’s not like Japan is the only country in Asia that is all about this guy. He’s huge everywhere. 

It’s not about what he cares about (in terms of what country they are from), it’s about what JA could profit off of him and entire country and continent.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yes, he cares about being close to his homeland: Japan.

He doesn't care if there's a sizeable Vietnamese population in Northern VA.

No, but I think SG's point was that Asian people of various cultures (aka, not Japanese) are more inclined to support HIM and root for him....and it might bring more of them to Wal-Mart Field at Camden Yards.

• Haha 1

I would be curious what kind of financial impact it would have for the Orioles revenue if they did sign him. Merchandise across the country and Japan, increase attendance, those type of things. How much would it offset his salary? What if he is the guy that helps them win the World Series 4 out of 6 years? That increases the Orioles brand even more. Now people know who AR and Grayson and Henderson and are buying their merchandise even more as well because the Os are now their team because they are winning. 
I am sure someone in marketing for a team has modeled it all out and can put a rough number on it. But I think all of that is a factor in what a team would be willing to pay and I do think that number may be higher of a return for the Orioles than SD for example. Also, you have insurance for injuries. You may just have to be worried about a drop in production. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yes, he cares about being close to his homeland: Japan.

He doesn't care if there's a sizeable Vietnamese population in Northern VA.

I agree Southern California has a vast Japanese population and in the DMV not so much. I don't think the Korean community in the DMV is going be a selling point in getting Ohtani to sign with the Orioles. If Ohtani ends up on the east coast it's going to be with New York or Boston.

This is purely a rhetorical exercise considering the Angelos family owns the Orioles.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, but I think SG's point was that Asian people of various cultures (aka, not Japanese) are more inclined to support HIM and root for him....and it might bring more of them to Wal-Mart Field at Camden Yards.

Well, I don't think that's what his point was.  It clearly wasn't.

You could argue it would be more attractive for the O's to sign Ohtani because there's a sizeable Asian population in the DMV and he would likely act as a draw to get them invested in the O's.  I think you're vastly overestimating the economic impact of that, but you could make that argument.

However, the argument clearly being made was that becuase the DMV has a sizeable Asian population that would make it more likely to Ohtan to want to sign here.

I pointed out the deep flaw in that thinking.

Not to get too off topic, but I lived in Asia for ten years in several different countries.  The idea that Asian people are a monolith couldn't be further from the truth.  You know who doesn't give a crap about Cambodians?  Japanese people.  You know who doesn't like Koreans?  Chinese people.  Etc.  I could go on.

Again, that there is a sizeable population of Vietnamese in Norther Va. doesn't make the area more attractive to Ohtani.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad to see you are smart enough to figure out the obvious.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I cannot imagine him wanting to come here or the Orioles being willing to do what it takes to sign him.   But let’s get past that and focus on, would I want to have the Orioles win the auction to sign him?   Probably not, I think.  He’d just suck up too many of the team’s resources and I don’t like putting so many of our eggs in one basket.  He’s a really great player, and would be super-fun to have on the team, but is just going to cost more than it makes sense for us to pay.  

This is where I’m at

Commenting on Ohtani signing with the O's under the Angelos regime seems like an appropriate way to celebrate National Goof Off Day.

The 10 most likely destinations in order, to me, seem like LAD, SFG, SEA, SD, NYY, NYM, CHC, LAA, TEX, HOU. I think BAL is like 25th.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SpOkane said:

Commenting on Ohtani signing with the O's under the Angelos regime seems like an appropriate way to celebrate National Goof Off Day.

The 10 most likely destinations in order, to me, seem like LAD, SFG, SEA, SD, NYY, NYM, CHC, LAA, TEX, HOU. I think BAL is like 25th.

All of this is true..but this question is putting that aside and discussing the merits of whether or not the Os should sign him if he was willing to come here.

1 minute ago, SpOkane said:

That looks about right to me.

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Adley’s really got his work cut out for him to win MVP. Haha. 

Ohtani might get 10/750 if both NY teams get involved. He’s not just the greatest FA of all time, but in this moment… he’s the greatest player of all time. 

No he’s not

27 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, I don't think that's what his point was.  It clearly wasn't.

You could argue it would be more attractive for the O's to sign Ohtani because there's a sizeable Asian population in the DMV and he would likely act as a draw to get them invested in the O's.  I think you're vastly overestimating the economic impact of that, but you could make that argument.

However, the argument clearly being made was that becuase the DMV has a sizeable Asian population that would make it more likely to Ohtan to want to sign here.

I pointed out the deep flaw in that thinking.

Not to get too off topic, but I lived in Asia for ten years in several different countries.  The idea that Asian people are a monolith couldn't be further from the truth.  You know who doesn't give a crap about Cambodians?  Japanese people.  You know who doesn't like Koreans?  Chinese people.  Etc.  I could go on.

Again, that there is a sizeable population of Vietnamese in Norther Va. doesn't make the area more attractive to Ohtani.

Fair enough.  And I wasn't making that argument, SG was.  

I really don't care if there's much of an economic impact if he were to sign here.  Certainly the Orioles would become more followed by people in Japan, but what does that mean for revenue and how's it measured?  I believe a lot of people here would pretend to know but it's hard to say.  It would make the Orioles brand a bit more global but again, that's hard to measure.  Is he worth it?  Probably.  

If Ohtani really did sign with the Angels due to the proximity of being closer to Japan, then he's most likely interested in West Coast based teams.  And he wants to win, that narrows it down to probably the Dodgers, Padres and Giants, maybe the Mariners.