Appears Grayson pitched his way to AAA to start the year

Tony-OH

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I don't think it'd undermine the reasoning too much. 

Elias' claim is basically that there were 6 SP candidates and Grayson finished 6th. If one of the top 5 gets injured, it'd make sense to call up the 6th. (Hall would be 7th on this list and could theoretically leapfrog Grayson if DL is doing well but Grayson is not.)

He's still got to out-perform guys like Watkins and Zimmermann I would think. Especially if it's a short IL stint for someone and they only need a spot start or two. Easier to option Zimmermann than Grayson. 

It's just a situation where you HAVE to promote him at some point simply because he's the #1 or #2 pitching prospect in all of baseball. So hopefully Grayson makes that decision easy, but if it's July and he's got a 4.50 ERA down there with a bad walk rate, does Elias call him up anyway or do you let him slip down the prospect rankings and your pitching development image takes a hit, etc. 

All eyes on Grayson tonight. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean I agree, it's clear that as long as the rotation is steady he won't be up until he's really forcing the issue. But if he's down there and bored and pissed off and pitching poorly, it could be a total loss year for him. And that's on him for not doing his job down there, 100%, it would just strike me as a wildly unlucky turn of events. If he had gotten injured after 5 ML starts last year, I don't think he'd be down there now. Now there's a real (if very slim) possibility he doesn't make it up here all year despite looking like he graduated the level last year. 

I'm sure it's very frustrating for him as well as the organization. I hope he lights it up down there. Right now though, I'd be putting money on Hall coming back before Grayson. 

If Grayson sulks and pitches badly, then he's not the ace or person that the Orioles thought they had. The only person Grayson has to be pissed at is himself for pitching poorly. The only way to solve this "problem" is to go out and pitch like we've seen him pitch pre injury. If he does that, he'll be in the big leagues.

Again, if he doesn't make it up this year and it's not injury related, then he's not the TOR in the making we thought the Orioles had.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's still got to out-perform guys like Watkins and Zimmermann I would think. Especially if it's a short IL stint for someone and they only need a spot start or two. Easier to option Zimmermann than Grayson. 

It's just a situation where you HAVE to promote him at some point simply because he's the #1 or #2 pitching prospect in all of baseball. So hopefully Grayson makes that decision easy, but if it's July and he's got a 4.50 ERA down there with a bad walk rate, does Elias call him up anyway or do you let him slip down the prospect rankings and your pitching development image takes a hit, etc. 

All eyes on Grayson tonight. 

Zimmermann is starting tomorrow and Watkins on Sunday. Not sure when Hall is pitching or if they are going to piggyback him. Probable pitchers in the minors usually at best go out a few days .

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Grayson ends up disappointing it is all on him?

Nothing on the team at all?

They are faultless?

I think that depends on what you think the reason is that post-injury, Grayson has lost the ability to command the baseball as well as he has pre-injury. 

The most likely answer is that it's not anyone's fault, it's just a physiological thing that he either overcomes or he doesn't. But it is on the Orioles staff to figure out if there's something they can change mechanically to overcome it. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Zimmermann is starting tomorrow and Watkins on Sunday. Not sure when Hall is pitching or if they are going to piggyback him. Probable pitchers in the minors usually at best go out a few days .

I thought I saw that Hall was pitching the home opener in Norfolk on Tuesday

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Grayson ends up disappointing it is all on him?

Nothing on the team at all?

They are faultless?

I don't think Grayson pitched to Maverick during ST.  Hopefully, Maverick starts tonight.  That would be step 1 

50% of the games in/across AAA are ROBO Ump and 50% of the games are Umpire w/ 3 appeals.

Anyone have any idea when/how these are determined or we will find out?

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

What is Maverick going to do for Grayson that Adley wouldn't have in ST? 

Guess we will have to watch and see to compare two different scenarios?  But I believe you are Anti-Anybody but Adley... and I am pro-Stanford players getting their shot.  Handley said it himself if that recent interview... every game is a showcase for 29 other teams.

But the fact remains that Grayson didn't pitch well enough in ST (and Adley didn't catch every game) to make OD roster.  Maverick never caught Grayson in Spring Training.

Maverick I believe is a better option to catch Grayson that Kolozsvary.  Every catcher calls a different game and has different strengths and weaknesses.  And... I don't think they had plans to option Adley to AAA to catch Grayson today.  

9 minutes ago, CHIP said:

Guess we will have to watch and see to compare two different scenarios?  But I believe you are Anti-Anybody but Adley... and I am pro-Stanford players getting their shot.  Handley said it himself if that recent interview... every game is a showcase for 29 other teams.

But the fact remains that Grayson didn't pitch well enough in ST (and Adley didn't catch every game) to make OD roster.  Maverick never caught Grayson in Spring Training.

Maverick I believe is a better option to catch Grayson that Kolozsvary.  Every catcher calls a different game and has different strengths and weaknesses.  And... I don't think they had plans to option Adley to AAA to catch Grayson today.  

I'm not anti-anybody but Adley at all. I like Maverick quite a bit. But Adley outclasses him in every conceivable way. And in fact it was Adley that Grayson was throwing to for the majority of his upper minor league career when he was dominating. So it's kind of bizarre to think that Maverick is going to be the guy that unlocks Grayson when it was Adley who did that first.

What bothers me about Grayson is that he seems to be cruising and then hits a wall, implodes, much like Lopez and Arrietta. I am judging this by the scorebox. Some young pitchers are so use to living by the K, they have trouble when K's aren't happening. That's why I admire guys like Watkins, Voth and others that are able to adjust and get a much needed out on a soft fly or grounder. I'm not sure Grayson has that ability yet, how to work when you don't have your best stuff or get in trouble.