Appears Grayson pitched his way to AAA to start the year

Tony-OH

Take a different look at this.

Should you throw away the opportunity to get an extra year of control for a pitcher who might in theory one day make $40 million/year, particularly if you only lose ~1 month of struggling time with him on the major league team, just because of his reputation?

I know nobody likes to play service time games, but Elias would almost be derelict in his duties not to in this situation, IMO.

If personalities are hurt, he'll have to prove it with guys like Gunnar/Adley by finally paying someone who's earning it.

Edited by LookinUp
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I heard that Grayson’s mother had some things to say on Twitter, though I haven’t read them.  

I had to go see for myself.  Unless she deleted her tweets, she had merely retweeted other's criticisms of the move.  Some were a little profane, but honestly, nothing too bad.  The worst probably accusing the O's of "Kris Bryant level of service time manipulation."

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Should you throw away the opportunity to get an extra year of control for a pitcher who might in theory one day make $40 million/year, particularly if you only lose ~1 month of struggling time with him on the major league team, just because of his reputation?

I know nobody likes to play service time games, but Elias would almost be derelict in his duties not to in this situation, IMO.

If personalities are hurt, he'll have to prove it with guys like Gunnar/Adley by finally paying someone who's earning it.

I don't believe that.  I think some fans are gleeful about the idea.  These kids are millionaires anyway right?

I'd rather the team I root for do the right thing.  Pretty much everyone is these days.

I know I'd not like to be treated that way by an employer.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I had to go see for myself.  Unless she deleted her tweets, she had merely retweeted other's criticisms of the move.  Some were a little profane, but honestly, nothing too bad.  The worst probably accusing the O's of "Kris Bryant level of service time manipulation."

So idiotic.  Bryant hit like 9 homers in spring training.  I think he led the entire league in spring homers.  Rodriguez meanwhile pitched to a 7.04 ERA.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So idiotic.  Bryant hit like 9 homers in spring training.  I think he led the entire league in spring homers.  Rodriguez meanwhile pitched to a 7.04 ERA.  

Well, I for one am not surprised that Grayson's mother is not able to look at this in a logical and rational manner.

TBH, I don't expect Grayson to be dispassionate about this either.  I hope he's pissed.  Channel it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I really don't buy the service time in this situation. He just didn't pitch the way a top prospect pitcher should have in spring training. Most of the time the extra year of control is way overblown.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But as a Mom you see things as a Mom and want what is best for your kid. He was hyped up and Elias said he would make the team. She is disappointed but all understandable. Parents take Pride in what their kids do. So perhaps no contract extension this week?

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, I for one am not surprised that Grayson's mother is not able to look at this in a logical and rational manner.

TBH, I don't expect Grayson to be dispassionate about this either.  I hope he's pissed.  Channel it.

It’s not Grayson’s mother’s quote, she just retweeted it.  Whoever made the initial quote is who I’m criticizing.  Such ridiculous hyperbole.  Of course I expect Grayson and his family to be very disappointed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It wasn’t harsh, it was the truth.

I did say verging. :) I agree, it was the truth. I guess I just didn't expect him to go into detail and describe all of the things he did wrong. It sounded a tad defensive. Typically, a GM is going to just say less in that moment. But he had no qualms about spelling it out. Not saying I disagree with that approach, just found it interesting. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I did say verging. :) I agree, it was the truth. I guess I just didn't expect him to go into detail and describe all of the things he did wrong. It sounded a tad defensive. Typically, a GM is going to just say less in that moment. But he had no qualms about spelling it out. Not saying I disagree with that approach, just found it interesting. 

Thank the lord this organization is at the point where it can be operated as a true meritocracy. Earn it, kid. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Westburg not making the team is merit based?

To me Westburg not making the team is a sign that the organizational depth is strong and they couldn't swing a deal for Mateo or Urias this winter that satisfied them.

Alternatively I think maybe he's a guy that they utilize @ the deadline to trade and supplement the existing roster if they're in the mix.