Roster moves at the end of ST

wildcard

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is really annoying:

The idea that Roch feels he can lump Stowers with those guys is sickening. He should have a definitive every day role. 

Wow, "for now" sounds ominous. Do we think Roch knows something we don't know about these three? I hope he is just trying to add to the drama of the final cuts. I get it if Stowers doesn't play every day but for him to not even make the roster would constitute organizational malpractice. 

Westburg could have 100 RBI's this season in the minors and still won't get called up.

Oh wait...he did that last year.

Him not making the team after the spring he had is complete BS.  I can't come up with an explanation other than he isn't as sexy of a prospect as, say, Gunnar.  Yet, compare their numbers last year in Norfolk and they are very similar.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Was that by design? Or someone miss I wonder. 

I'm sure it saved MASN some money since Roch was already in Sarasota. Melanie Newman mentioned during yesterday's radio broadcast that her flight home last night was delayed.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Don't have MASN and didn't know that Rock was also a color analyst  Does he do many games?

No, he doesn't do many games. He's basically the fill-in when nobody else is available. He actually didn't do a bad job today as color analyst.

• Like 1

Not liking how ST is wrapping up

McCann, Givens, Tate injured, Frazier not hitting

GRod ineffective and certainly not a TOR guy anytime soon

DL Hall back to the minors

Nothing in the IF resolved, too many players to few positions, no real backup 1B emerged

I am afraid the O's get buried in the standings in the first 6 weeks

On 3/28/2023 at 10:58 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Not liking how ST is wrapping up

McCann, Givens, Tate injured, Frazier not hitting

GRod ineffective and certainly not a TOR guy anytime soon

DL Hall back to the minors

Nothing in the IF resolved, too many players to few positions, no real backup 1B emerged

I am afraid the O's get buried in the standings in the first 6 weeks

Not sure what's occurred that makes you think the O's can't hang with a very weak April schedule. 

The team has 5 soild starters who will keep them in games or better. We haven't been able to say that since, like, 2017. Grayson and Hall are insanely good pitchers to have in reserve when the time is right. 

Infield is a solid group who will be supplemented with Westburg relatively soon. We have an elite defensive SS and two elite defensive 3B, one of whom will likely be ROY. And Vavra is an exciting player to have mixing in there. 

Mullins/Santander/Hays/Stowers is a very nice OF group. 

Backup 1B is O'Hearn, Lester, or Diaz in AAA. Santander or Adley will spell Mountcastle here or there. 

McCann going on IL is not a big deal - Bemboom is a decent backup guy with LH pop. 

The one big concern is the bullpen, I'll give you that, but we have some dudes in there still. Bautista and Perez should be very good. Coulombe is a nice stability pickup. Akin is good for a couple scoreless innings usually. Baker throws heat and looked better at the end of camp. I think they'll muddle through ok, especially since the starters should avoid too many blowouts. 

Edited by interloper

On 3/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, wildcard said:

10 relievers.  Pick 8

Bautista, Perez, Akin, Baker, Baumann, Gillaspie, Krehbiel, Voth, Coulombe, Politi

Politi is gone.  It's probably Baumann versus Gillaspie.  The bullpen really worries me.  I like the idea of Baumann.  He's got upside.  The pen looks much better with Wells in it.  

Give me Krehbiel and Baumann for the pen with Gillaspie in AAA. Krehbiel has done it before and Baumann you have to know what you have in this guy. Gillaspie is a nice backup option if things go awry, but he's far from a sure thing. 

If I'm Elias, I'm trying to find a good ML bullpen arm + prospect for Ramon Urias and his 3 years of control. That would solve two problems in one move. But I suspect he will probably wait until the deadline to try to build value and see who's desperate for an infielder. 

Edited by interloper

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Politi is gone.  It's probably Baumann versus Gillaspie.  The bullpen really worries me.  I like the idea of Baumann.  He's got upside.  The pen looks much better with Wells in it.  

I'd go with Baumann and Gillaspie over Krehbiel. Especially in a place like Fenway Park. Krehbiel just doesn't have enough juice to prevent himself from getting knocked around the ballpark. Especially in hitter's parks.

• Upvote 1