Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I was against the signing, but for all his shortcomings, the man has come up clutch several times this year and no hit of his was bigger than the one in the 9th yesterday. 

I've said earlier in the year that his main strength is being able to put the ball in play against strike out pitchers, and sure enough, that poke down the left field line is a perfect example of that ability.

I'm not going to revisit the Frazier vs Westburg/Ortiz discussion because for now, it's all OBE. I will say though, with the game on the line, I'd rather have Frazier up against hard throwing right-handed strike out pitcher than either Westburg or Ortiz in this stage of their careers. 

So I will graciously tip the cap to Elias for the signing because he's certainly contributed to this magical season.

You're absolutely right. He's hitting .261 with a .333 OBP vs. power pitchers. But against finesse pitchers only .208 

56 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

You're absolutely right. He's hitting .261 with a .333 OBP vs. power pitchers. But against finesse pitchers only .208 

What point are you trying to make by cherry-picking certain stats?  I guess we could do that for everyone, couldn't we?  We saw two rookies get seriously overmatched yesterday in key at bats.   We saw Frazier have a truly exceptional at bat and kept us from losing the game.   I expect those two rookies to be awesome in similar opportunities as the mature, but seriously, what was the point of citing a .208 batting average against finesse pitchers.  Last I checked, there aren't a whole lot of those in the majors......

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

He has come up with some big hits for us but overall he's hitting .215 in innings 7-9.  

True, but most of that is driven by bad 7th and 8th innings numbers. He's also been a terrible pinch hitter.

BUT:

RISP: 300/.385/.560/.945 in 120 PAs
High Leverage: .301/.366/.507/.873 in 86 PAs
9th inning: .324/.366/.514/.879 in 41 PAs

That's clutch.    

• Upvote 4

Yep, as much as I wish they had cut bait with Frazier by mid-July and given his plate appearances to Ortiz, the results haven't been terrible.

I am not a believer in clutch as a separate skill set, but he is able to get around on a fastball and when you are facing a team's best relievers late in the game, that is a necessary skill.

Just like Hicks, I wish he wasn't on the team, but he is and I wish him luck for the rest of the season, I hope he doesn't come back next season, and I hope his veteranosity will have whatever positive attributes over the last two weeks and into the playoffs that veteranosity has.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, as much as I wish they had cut bait with Frazier by mid-July and given his plate appearances to Ortiz, the results haven't been terrible.

I am not a believer in clutch as a separate skill set, but he is able to get around on a fastball and when you are facing a team's best relievers late in the game, that is a necessary skill.

Just like Hicks, I wish he wasn't on the team, but he is and I wish him luck for the rest of the season, I hope he doesn't come back next season, and I hope his veteranosity will have whatever positive attributes over the last two weeks and into the playoffs that veteranosity has.

Is there one team in baseball, just one team that doesn't have a veteran who isn't a superstar? Moreso, a young team? Just one team?

20 minutes ago, Malike said:

Is there one team in baseball, just one team that doesn't have a veteran who isn't a superstar? Moreso, a young team? Just one team?

I have no problem with veterans when they aren't blocking young players. I was all for acquiring James McCann and had no real beef with signing Kyle Gibson or Mychal Givens.

I thought Frazier was overpaid when they signed him, but I had no problem with him having a role on this team in the first half because I wanted Westburg and Ortiz to spend at least a couple more months in AAA.

I accepted the justification of signing Hicks when Mullins went down, and appreciate that he has been ok for the O's since he has been here, but I am not convinced that he is a different player than he was the last three years with the Yankees, so I fully anticipate him turning back into a pumpkin. That said, I did appreciate his hustle double the other night, and there is something to be said for a change of scenery.

Do I think that Frazier gives the Orioles a better chance to win right now than Ortiz or Holliday? Not really. Likewise with Hicks and Kjerstad or Cowser.

I appreciate that the O's seem to now recognize that Mateo is not a starting shortstop, but he is an asset off the bench as a pinch-runner and a defensive upgrade. Frazier hasn't shown a knack for pinch hitting and he isn't a defensive upgrade, so I don't think he is particularly valuable as a bench player..

Doesn't mean I am not going to root for them. Certainly not going to boo them. But I don't think the team is benefiting much in the short term or the long term with their presence.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I have no problem with veterans when they aren't blocking young players. I was all for acquiring James McCann and had no real beef with signing Kyle Gibson or Mychal Givens.

I thought Frazier was overpaid when they signed him, but I had no problem with him having a role on this team in the first half because I wanted Westburg and Ortiz to spend at least a couple more months in AAA.

I accepted the justification of signing Hicks when Mullins went down, and appreciate that he has been ok for the O's since he has been here, but I am not convinced that he is a different player than he was the last three years with the Yankees, so I fully anticipate him turning back into a pumpkin. That said, I did appreciate his hustle double the other night, and there is something to be said for a change of scenery.

Do I think that Frazier gives the Orioles a better chance to win right now than Ortiz or Holliday? Not really. Likewise with Hicks and Kjerstad or Cowser.

I appreciate that the O's seem to now recognize that Mateo is not a starting shortstop, but he is an asset off the bench as a pinch-runner and a defensive upgrade. Frazier hasn't shown a knack for pinch hitting and he isn't a defensive upgrade, so I don't think he is particularly valuable as a bench player..

Doesn't mean I am not going to root for them. Certainly not going to boo them. But I don't think the team is benefiting much in the short term or the long term with their presence.

Cowser had a chance to cement his place and he failed to do so, if Cowser hit even a little bit and had shown he could catch the ball, they likely wouldn't have gotten Hicks and he's been quite good for them. Ortiz is hurt, not sure how he's an upgrade over anyone.

Westburg has basically taken over for Frazier getting most of the starts at 2B since he came up and while he's been fine defensively, he struggles with velocity and has a .685 OPS against power pitchers, He is even worse against Finesse pitchers and he's been really good against average pitchers. His biggest advantage has been the defense at 2B and he should get most of the starts there.

Holliday is a pipe dream, he's got a .700 OPS at AAA, I don't think he will walk onto the field tomorrow, and be an instant upgrade over Frazier.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

This is where I am too.

Well done Mr. Frazier (especially last night) and I will be rooting for you the rest of the way.

I think we are better off with the young guys playing and those vets in the bit roles they should be in.  Westburg has been the more valuable player for example.

That being said, there are situations where I would want Hicks or Frazier up to the plate more than Westburg, Ortiz or Cowser, at least right now. But that’s fine. That’s why you have those guys.

You don’t give those guys a lot of money, play them everyday, etc…but there is a role that they can give you that is very valuable, especially for a playoff team. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we are better off with the young guys playing and those vets in the bit roles they should be in.  Westburg has been the more valuable player for example.

That being said, there are situations where I would want Hicks or Frazier up to the plate more than Westburg, Ortiz or Cowser, at least right now. But that’s fine. That’s why you have those guys.

You don’t give those guys a lot of money, play them everyday, etc…but there is a role that they can give you that is very valuable, especially for a playoff team. 

I think that was the plan this year, to weed out who was going to be the future and then they lifted off with what they have and they've sprinkled in some of the young guys but the leash wasn't as long as it would have been. 

I'd dare to say they might have been better off with a middling record this season just so the kids could all take their lumps but the current team forced their hand by winning. A lot.

Just now, Malike said:

I think that was the plan this year, to weed out who was going to be the future and then they lifted off with what they have and they've sprinkled in some of the young guys but the leash wasn't as long as it would have been. 

I'd dare to say they might have been better off with a middling record this season just so the kids could all take their lumps but the current team forced their hand by winning. A lot.

This organization is probably surprised they are winning 100 games and the division.

I can guarantee you, nobody in the entire organization is surprised they're playoff-bound.