Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

Bit over a week late, but happy 17th birthday Ayden Almeyda, who I guess might still be doing 11th grade, and I hope we'll see in complex ball later this summer.

I guess for Elias the choice will be if he needs to go to the Dominican Summer league, or if at 17 already he's advanced enough for the Florida Complex League.    Basallo at 17 went 279/350/424 there last summer, but had had a full Age 16 DOSL season in 2021.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 3:06 AM, Gurgi said:

Anyone slightly worried that none of the 22 picks are doing well in their SSS?  Fabian, Wagner, Beavers, Young.  No one is doing good.  Just Jackson Holiday.  

I was actually going to post that I think Beavers is flying under the radar a bit at 12, so I appreciate the segue. 

In fairness to your post, he’s had a couple strong games since you made it (as has Fabian, for that matter, so it looks like an excellent motivational tactic), but he’s now sitting at an .882 OPS, with a BB rate over 13% and a K rate at just over 22%. Checking in with a wRC+ of 134, without any wacky SSS batted ball luck to make it feel like fool’s gold. 

Like every human being thus far created, he’s not hitting for power at Ripken Stadium (.345 SLG), but he’s still posting a pretty strong OBP (.353) at home. And he’s tearing the cover off the ball everywhere else (1.073 OPS on the road). Love seeing this sort of production, pretty much consistently since he donned orange, out of such a toolsy dude. Maybe the quirky swing gets exploited more at higher levels, but whatever they’re doing seems to be working for now.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 players once the short season clubs start up. (Updated as of 24 April)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   DEL (A)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   BAL  
3 Joey Ortiz SS 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 5   BOW (AA)  
6 Colton Cowser OF 7 Up Nor (AAA)  
7 Samuel Basallo C 8 Up DEL (A)  
8 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 10 Up BOW (AA)  
9 D.L. Hall LHP 9   Nor (AAA)  
10 Cade Povich LHP 11 Up BOW (AA)  
11 Connor Norby 2B 6 Down Nor (AAA)  
12 Dylan Beavers OF 12   ABN (A+)  
13 Jud Fabian OF 13   ABN (A+)  
14 Trace Bright RHP 14   ABN (A+)  
15 Chayse McDermott RHP 15   BOW (AA)  
16 Noah Denoyer RHP 17 Up Nor (AAA)  
17 Creed Willems C 25 Up DEL (A)  
18 Hudson Haskin OF 18   Nor (AAA) 7 day-IL
19 Drew Rom LHP 19   Nor (AAA)  
20 Max Wagner 3B 16 Down ABN (A+)  
21 Cesar Prieto 2B 21   BOW (AA)  
22 Yennier Cano RHP 27 Up BAL  
23 Justin Armbruester RHP 23   BOW (AA)  
24 Carlos Tavera RHP 24   BOW (AA)  
25 Stiven Acevedo OF UR New Del (A)  
26 Frederick Bencosme INF 20 Down ABN (A+)  
27 Maverick Handley C 26 Down Nor (AAA)  
28 Jean Pinto RHP 28   ABN (A+)  
29 John Rhodes OF 22 Down BOW (AA)  
30 Chris Vallimont RHP UR New Nor (AAA)  

Bubble Players INF     FCL  
  Carter Young SS 29 Down DEL (A)  
  Juan De Los Santos RHP 30 Down DEL (A)  
  Silas Ardoin C     Del (A)  
  Juan Rojas LHP     Del (A)  
  Anderson De Los Santos UTL     Del (A)  

• Upvote 1

I see Nuñez made the bubble.  He’s listed as SP tomorrow for Delmarva.  Reading up on him sounds like he has a live arm and a killer slider (60 grade).  Also sounds like an odd body type for a pitcher (short and stocky w/big lower half).  In Fangraphs write  up he was listed as the best arm (velocity wise) of the pitchers we got in the Lopez trade.   Curious if @Tony-OH has seen him throw and any initial impressions.  Gotta say all the sudden there are some intriguing arms in the lower minors.  I plan to watch his outing tomorrow.  11am Game unless there’s a typo.  

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I see Nuñez made the bubble.  He’s listed as SP tomorrow for Delmarva.  Reading up on him sounds like he has a live arm and a killer slider (60 grade).  Also sounds like an odd body type for a pitcher (short and stocky w/big lower half).  In Fangraphs write  up he was listed as the best arm (velocity wise) of the pitchers we got in the Lopez trade.   Curious if @Tony-OH has seen him throw and any initial impressions.  Gotta say all the sudden there are some intriguing arms in the lower minors.  I plan to watch his outing tomorrow.  11am Game unless there’s a typo.  

44. Juan Nunez – RHP (FCL/A): Acquired in the Jorge Lopez trade, brings a fastball that sits 94-96, but can touch 98 on occasion. His best offspeed pitch is his slider, though he also has a curveball and change. Has a long way to go command wise, but when he’s on, he has a starter’s repertoire.

Command has a long way to go though.

• Thanks 1

I know Jackson Holliday is a dude, and I know these are power rankings, and I know it'll be moot point in a few weeks when he's no longer eligible, and I know the order doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things, but Grayson Rodriguez sure looks like a #1 guy to me.

I still like Bencosme and think he’ll be top 15 by mid season.  Last year he had 17 extra base hits of his 83 hits.  This year he has 9 hits.  4 doubles and 1 triple.  Has more walks than strikeouts and his walk rate is much higher than last year.  I think this is a case of a player making some changes, similar to Cowser last year, and taking one step back before he takes two forward.

Also interesting to note that Dylan Beavers is outperforming 2022 Cowser at a younger age (doesn’t turn 22 until August).   Over half of his hits are extra bases.   I think he could be a top 5 guy by the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I know Jackson Holliday is a dude, and I know these are power rankings, and I know it'll be moot point in a few weeks when he's no longer eligible, and I know the order doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things, but Grayson Rodriguez sure looks like a #1 guy to me.

They're probably 1a and 1b for me, but I would really like to see Rodriguez put some seven inning starts together before anointing him back to #1 by himself. They're both fantastic prospects.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I still like Bencosme and think he’ll be top 15 by mid season.  Last year he had 17 extra base hits of his 83 hits.  This year he has 9 hits.  4 doubles and 1 triple.  Has more walks than strikeouts and his walk rate is much higher than last year.  I think this is a case of a player making some changes, similar to Cowser last year, and taking one step back before he takes two forward.

Also interesting to note that Dylan Beavers is outperforming 2022 Cowser at a younger age (doesn’t turn 22 until August).   Over half of his hits are extra bases.   I think he could be a top 5 guy by the end of the season.

Beavers' start to the season this year is pretty impressive overall especially when you look at him through the Aberdeen lense. Bencosme could still end up a guy, and I certainly love the plate discipline, but I'm not convinced he sticks on the dirt and definitely is not a SS without a huge step forward on his throwing accuracy and overall hands. Next year I'd like to see some power start to play a bit and would like to see him drive the ball a little more consistently.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

They're probably 1a and 1b for me, but I would really like to see Rodriguez put some seven inning starts together before anointing him back to #1 by himself. They're both fantastic prospects.

I won’t be surprised if Grayson never goes 7 innings this year, between the team’s cautious approach and his tendencies towards high pitch counts.  And I guess that’s okay with me, so long as he tosses some six-inning gems in the playoffs!

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I won’t be surprised if Grayson never goes 7 innings this year, between the team’s cautious approach and his tendencies towards high pitch counts.  And I guess that’s okay with me, so long as he tosses some six-inning gems in the playoffs!

I tend to agree with you here. Either way, I just would like the Orioles to take the gloves off a bit, but I'm not complaining on the results of late from him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 players once the short season clubs start up. (Updated as of 1 May)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   DEL (A)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   BAL  
3 Joey Ortiz SS 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 5   BOW (AA)  
6 Colton Cowser OF 6   Nor (AAA)  
7 Samuel Basallo C 7   DEL (A)  
8 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 8   BOW (AA)  
9 Cade Povich LHP 10 UP BOW (AA)  
10 D.L. Hall LHP 9 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
11 Connor Norby 2B 11   Nor (AAA)