Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

I wonder how Elias values Norby compared to Prieto.  What order?  How big the gap?  Norby's power vs. Prieto's hit tool...  Norby's a year younger and in AAA (vs. Prieto's AA).

Interesting that you've got Almeyda as CF instead of SS.  It makes sense from an org perspective.  Hopefully he gets reps there on his way up so we know if it's a fit or not.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not often that you come across a disappointing beaver but I’m surprised that he has struggled the way he has.

I know Aberdeen can be an issue but I kind of figured he would be doing something similar to what Fabian is doing. 

With all of the talk about how eccentric his swing mechanics were coming out, I'm curious how much they're actively tinkering with that right now.

An adjustment period to the rework (if any) could explain his lacking production.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

With all of the talk about how eccentric his swing mechanics were coming out, I'm curious how much they're actively tinkering with that right now.

An adjustment period to the rework (if any) could explain his lacking production.

That could make sense for sure. Otoh, I would have expected him to struggle more last year because of that but maybe they eased in the changes a little more with him.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not often that you come across a disappointing beaver but I’m surprised that he has struggled the way he has.

I know Aberdeen can be an issue but I kind of figured he would be doing something similar to what Fabian is doing. 

I see what you did there. ;)

The only solace we can take from Beavers is that Henderson, Cowser, Kjerstad and Norby did not do much there either. 

Obviously Fabian has turned into the better prospect because Fabian was always in front of his defensively and now has hit better with a better K-BB.

Beavers reminds me of Nolan Reimold in that he's a good athlete overall, but does runs and even hits awkwardly. Aberdeen is tough place to watch games from MILB TV because the entire league is pretty poor overall for broadcasts though Aberdeen itself did improve this year but still no center field camera. 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 players once the short season clubs start up. (Updated as of 12 Jun)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   ABN (A+)  
2 Colton Cowser OF 2   Nor (AAA)  
3 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 4 Up Nor (AAA)  
4 Joey Ortiz SS 3 Down Nor (AAA)  
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 5   BOW (AA)  
6 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 6   BOW (AA)  
7 Samuel Basallo C 8 Up DEL (A)  
8 D.L. Hall LHP 9 Up Nor (AAA)  
9 Jud Fabian OF 10 Up ABN (A+)  
10 Creed Willems C 11 Up DEL (A)  
11 Connor Norby 2B 12 Up Nor (AAA)  
12 Cade Povich LHP 7 Down BOW (AA)  
13 Chayse McDermott RHP 13   BOW (AA)  
14 Max Wagner 3B 14   ABN (A+)  
15 Dylan Beavers OF 15   ABN (A+)  
16 Cesar Prieto 2B 16   BOW (AA)  
17 Hudson Haskin OF 17   Nor (AAA)  
18 Carlos Tavera RHP 20 Up BOW (AA)  
19 Trace Bright RHP 23 Up ABN (A+)  
20 Jean Pinto RHP 21 Up ABN (A+)  
21 Justin Armbruester RHP 22 Up BOW (AA)  
22 Luis Almeyda CF UR Up DSL O's  
23 Leandro Arias SS UR Up FCL O's  
24 Braylin Tavera CF UR Up FCL O's  
25 Frederick Bencosme INF 19 Down ABN (A+)  
26 Aron Estrada 2B UR Up FCL O's  
27 Drew Rom LHP 18 Down Nor (AAA)  
28 Wandisson Charles RHP 24 Down BOW (AA)  
29 T.T Bowens 1B UR Up BOW (AA)  
30 Juan De Los Santos RHP 25 Down DEL (A)  

Bubble Players INF     FCL  
  Carter Young SS     DEL (A)  
  Elio Prado CF 28   DEL (A)  
  Edwin Amparo SS     FCL  
  Maverick Handley C     BOW (AA)  
  John Rhodes OF     BOW (AA)  
  Juan Nunez RHP     Del (A)  
  Stiven Acevedo OF     Del (A)  
  Chris Vallimont RHP 29   Nor (AAA)  
  Keegan Gilles RHP 30   ABN (A+)  
  Noah Denoyer RHP 26   Nor (AAA)  
  Josh Lester* 3B/1B     Nor (AAA)  
  Silas Ardoin C 27   ABN (A+)  
  Maikol Hernández SS     FCL O's  

55 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Impressive that 5 of top 9 are now the 67th+ pick or International.   

Mayo 4th

Ortiz 4th round 

Basallo Int

Fabian 67Th

Willems 8th

A lot of talent in that grouping.  

Which shows you don’t have to have super-high picks to have a good farm system.  Obviously, it helps.  

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kinda?

If the O's weren't picking high and saving money would they have been able to sign Mayo or Willems?

I suppose we'll get a hint over the next few years watching how 2023 draft/development unfolds.

• 2 weeks later...