Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH or anyone else… do we have any side arm/low slot potential future relievers in our system?  It’s always good to have one of those in the pen especially since mostly all of our RH relievers have the traditional over the top delivery. We tried this with Jake Reed last year and he just wasn’t the guy. 

Nolan Hoffman.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. We got him through the milb portion of the Rule 5 draft. Good numbers except for the hits allowed. 

He had a good spring and there was some buzz about him then, but he has not had a great year overall. He hasn't been able to defend himself very well against lefties which will make or break him since you can't no longer use these kinds of guys for one or two right-handed batters coming up.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 the amateur draft concludes.. (Updated as of 10 Jul)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   BOW (AA)  
2 Colton Cowser OF 2   BAL  
3 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 3   BAL  
4 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 5   Nor (AAA)  
6 Samuel Basallo C 6   DEL (A)  
7 Joey Ortiz SS 7   Nor (AAA)  
8 Jud Fabian OF 8   BOW (AA)  
9 Creed Willems C 9   ABN (A+)  
10 Cade Povich LHP 10   BOW (AA)  
11 Max Wagner 3B 13 Up ABN (A+)  
12 Chayse McDermott RHP 12   Nor (AAA)  
13 Connor Norby 2B 11 Down Nor (AAA)  
14 Braylin Tavera CF 16 Up FCL O's  
15 Cesar Prieto 2B 14 Down Nor (AAA)  
16 D.L. Hall LHP 15 Down FCL O's  
17 Luis Almeyda CF 20 Up DSL O's  
18 Trace Bright RHP 19 Up ABN (A+)  
19 Dylan Beavers OF 17 Down ABN (A+)  
20 Hudson Haskin OF 18 Down Nor (AAA) INJ
21 Jean Pinto RHP 21   ABN (A+)  
22 Justin Armbruester RHP 22   Nor (AAA)  
23 Carlos Tavera RHP 23   BOW (AA)  
24 Juan De Los Santos RHP 29 Up DEL (A)  
25 Frederick Bencosme INF 26 Up ABN (A+)  
26 Aron Estrada 2B 27   FCL O's INJ
27 Wandisson Charles RHP 25 Down BOW (AA)  
28 Edwin Amparo SS UR Up FCL  
29 Drew Rom LHP 28 Down Nor (AAA)  
30 John Rhodes OF 30   BOW (AA)  

Bubble Players INF     FCL  
  Thomas Sosa OF     FCL O's  
  Carter Young SS     DEL (A)  
  Jared Beck LHP     DEL (A)  
  Luis DeLeon LHP     FCL O's  
  Juan Nunez RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Luis Guevara INF     DSL O's  
  Aneudis Mordán C/1B     FCL O's  
  Leandro Arias SS 24 Down FCL O's  
  Kyle Brnovich RHP     FCL O's  

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated as of 24 July but will not add the newly drafted players until they begin play. I'll also expand the list to Top 40.

Thanks.  Billy Cook?   Not even the bubble?  LOL

The dude’s numbers just keep going up and he’s at AA.     Older than Fabian, Haskin, and Rhodes, but I think he compares favorably with all three, offensively, plus he can steal bases and, apparently play decent defense.    Not sure how he looks in CF but Fabian is the only true CF out of that trio as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Thanks.  Billy Cook?   Not even the bubble?  LOL

The dude’s numbers just keep going up and he’s at AA.     Older than Fabian, Haskin, and Rhodes, but I think he compares favorably with all three, offensively, plus he can steal bases and, apparently play decent defense.    Not sure how he looks in CF but Fabian is the only true CF out of that trio as well.

He could of very well could have been put on the bubble, but honestly, I still don't think he's a prospect. I know you think he's in the same category as those guys, but I'm not sure I buy that yet. His K rate is too high, he doesn't walk much, and his career .316 OBP does not bode well for success at higher levels. 

He's been hitting well since April, but he does most of his damage against younger inexperienced pitchers and when he faces more mature pitchers, he's struggled a bit slashing .249/.308/.385/.693 off older pitchers.

Defensively he's adequate at best and is the worse of the three others guys your mentioned in the outfield and while he can put on a 2B mitt, he's not very good there overall.

But I'll keep an eye on him to see if he changes my mind. ;)   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board?sortcol=1&sortdir=asc&org=bal

Fangraphs Longenhagen reporting this afternoon he's integrated the new draftees into team lists on their BOARD gadget.

45 Bradfield tucked between Beavers and Fabian in the 10-12 range (Cowser-Westburg-Hall still in the list for a minute)

He must like 40+ Kiefer Lord a lot, has him next to Seth Johnson in mid-teens.

40 Horvath plopped next to Haskin just outside Top 20

He agrees with @RZNJ Baumeister just Top 30 fringe for now.

Tony, any consideration of Daniel Lloyd as a bubble guy?   He was only 20 when drafted in 2021 (14th round), is repeating Aberdeen after getting promoted there midseason last year, and has been excellent the last 10 outings, 1.64 ERA, .599 OPSA, and 10.2 K/7 in that span.  I know nothing about his repertoire, just looking at some pretty decent numbers.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tony, any consideration of Daniel Lloyd as a bubble guy?   He was only 20 when drafted in 2021 (14th round), is repeating Aberdeen after getting promoted there midseason last year, and has been excellent the last 10 outings, 1.64 ERA, .599 OPSA, and 10.2 K/7 in that span.  I know nothing about his repertoire, just looking at some pretty decent numbers.  

I remember watching him a bit last year and was less than impressed with his stuff. Saying that, I haven't really watch him this year but did notice his WHIP is a bit high at 1.395.  They also don't stretch him out very much with him pitching 70 or more pitches only 7 times so that gives me some indication they may view him ultimately more as a reliever. His hot streak probably indicates he needs to be challenged at Bowie soon.