Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Per Ump Scorecards, going into today, the O's were the fifth-most negatively impacted team in the MLB. 

And that's going by their stats, which weigh missed pitches by impact to win percentage.  If you were to instead measure by taking each time a bad call extended the opponent's hitting during an inning, treating it as an "umpire error" and making everything that followed umpire-charged runs following the unearned run rules, it'd likely be even worse.   

And Ind

Woops my phone wigged out there. I was going to add that Adley in particular seems to be particularly prone to bad calls as a hitter. I saw somewhere he led the league by far in taken balls called strikes and he seems to get at least one a game, in part due to the number of pitches he sees.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Always makes me wonder how they calculate something like the Gunnar walk. You can say that cost 1 run, but what about the possible subsequent at bats with the bases loaded? There’s no way to calculate it. 

My guess is that they take the historic game data for that situation and use that to extract the average value that the average team gets from that situation, and they use that to figure out what the changed value would do to expected win percentage.  Not sure how else you'd do it.   🤷‍♂️

On 9/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, ShoelesJoe said:

I think the replay system we have in place for on field calls has forced umpires to up their game, and made them better at their jobs. Having your decision overturned in front of thirty thousand fans in a stadium, and a couple million watching on television, is embarrassing (even humiliating). *

A challenge system for balls and strikes similar to what’s being used in AAA should likewise lead to an improvement in how umpires do their jobs behind the plate. At first we’d see a ton of challenges (99% of which would overturn the ump’s call), but after a while the men in blue would grow tired of getting punked and actually make the right call to begin with. 

* Yes, I understand that even with the current challenge system there are umpires who are so incompetent and/or egotistical that the embarrassment of being constantly overruled mean nothing to them. The only fixes to guys like Angel Hernandez, CB Bucknor, and Laz Diaz is putting them out to pasture. 

You're not wrong. I got second hand embarrassment from the first 1:20 of this video.

42 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Brutal. It’s not like the umps are biased against the O’s but does it not seem like they’re seemingly on the wrong side of these scorecards every game? With it often not even being close. 

To date, we have the 5th least favorable cumulative calls, at -4.01 runs.  Our friends the Yankees have had the 2nd most favorable calls, at +8.91 runs.  Who’d have thunk it? 
https://umpscorecards.com/teams/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To date, we have the 5th least favorable cumulative calls, at -4.01 runs.  Our friends the Yankees have had the 2nd most favorable calls, at +8.91 runs.  Who’d have thunk it? 
https://umpscorecards.com/teams/

Also would not be surprised if this is a very small reason for the Orioles very low and the Yankees very high walk rate. The Orioles are certainly aggressive and should be considering the hard contact they make, but with some of the calls they have had go against them at the plate, it has to be harder to take pitches in 2 strike counts. 

I hate missed calls, especially egregious ones, but I stand by my firm opposition to robot Umps.

Angel Hernandez should be a barista at Starbucks, and everybody knows it, including all of his colleagues.
But the human element is really important and shouldn’t be replaced without really good reason.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I hate missed calls, especially egregious ones, but I stand by my firm opposition to robot Umps.

Angel Hernandez should be a barista at Starbucks, and everybody knows it, including all of his colleagues.
But the human element is really important and shouldn’t be replaced without really good reason.

I'd argue there is really good reason. The human will still stand behind the plate, but human error will be reduced, which is a good thing.

56 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd argue there is really good reason. The human will still stand behind the plate, but human error will be reduced, which is a good thing.

With robot umps there’s no need for a human behind the plate, just like there’s no need for stenographers in court, or to take the oath for that matter.

Sometimes the guys will get it wrong, and that’s part of being human. The problem is when guys are egregious yet are allowed to continue the behavior. Angel Hernandez has no business being an empire at all, and yet the union doesn’t care about quality., Only about payment of dues.

I wrote a short story once, a creepy science fiction story called “with folded hands” which is rapidly becoming prophetic.

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

Also would not be surprised if this is a very small reason for the Orioles very low and the Yankees very high walk rate. The Orioles are certainly aggressive and should be considering the hard contact they make, but with some of the calls they have had go against them at the plate, it has to be harder to take pitches in 2 strike counts. 

Already on three separate occasions this year, umps have missed three different ball 4 calls with the bases loaded.  All three cost us a run and the hitter an RBI. 

These three are the most egregious because they had a direct scoring impact, but I'm sure it's happened in multiple at bats for us this season in other scenarios that weren't quite as stand-out.

And as far as everyone talking about bias... oh yeah, it's objectively there, backed up statistically.  There's really no debate.  Only question for me is, assuming it's subconscious, whether the league will draw umpire attention to it or not, and...  I highly doubt it.  

Robo umps can't come fast enough.  I'd prefer ABS to be used on every pitch, but at this point... I'd happily take the challenge system.