Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

With robot umps there’s no need for a human behind the plate, just like there’s no need for stenographers in court, or to take the oath for that matter.

Sometimes the guys will get it wrong, and that’s part of being human. The problem is when guys are egregious yet are allowed to continue the behavior. Angel Hernandez has no business being an empire at all, and yet the union doesn’t care about quality., Only about payment of dues.

I wrote a short story once, a creepy science fiction story called “with folded hands” which is rapidly becoming prophetic.

Of course, there will be. Safe/out calls, balls hit fair/foul. Humans are not being replaced, the terrible variability of what each one thinks a strike zone is will be replaced.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Malike said:

Of course, there will be. Safe/out calls, balls hit fair/foul. Humans are not being replaced, the terrible variability of what each one thinks a strike zone is will be replaced.

I understand your point, but I disagree. The problem isn’t umps who are 98% correct, but Umps that are 88% correct. I don’t mind a missed call, even though it’s annoying. And if a questionable call is always the same”when in doubt favor the batter” it’s ok.

humans are indeed being replaced. Video review has literally replaced on field calls, so that ANY close call can be subject to video review, even if a challenge isn’t issued. Laser beam foul line sensors are next, I’m sure.

And Nate’s fly ball DID hit the foul Pole!

Despite that, I would prefer to keep the human element, but insure that the humans are the best available. You’d prefer to eliminate the human element so that K calls are essentially perfect. I get it, but I disagree.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

I understand your point, but I disagree. The problem isn’t umps who are 98% correct, but Umps that are 88% correct. I don’t mind a missed call, even though it’s annoying. And if a questionable call is always the same”when in doubt favor the batter” it’s ok.

humans are indeed being replaced. Video review has literally replaced on field calls, so that ANY close call can be subject to video review, even if a challenge isn’t issued. Laser beam foul line sensors are next, I’m sure.

And Nate’s fly ball DID hit the foul Pole!

Despite that, I would prefer to keep the human element, but insure that the humans are the best available. You’d prefer to eliminate the human element so that K calls are essentially perfect. I get it, but I disagree.

When games matter, and you have the ability, human error should be minimized. I don't even care if they go full robo ump, give the players challenges and if umps are getting and losing 10 challenges a game, they can not let them work in the playoffs or whatever.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

When games matter, and you have the ability, human error should be minimized. I don't even care if they go full robo ump, give the players challenges and if umps are getting and losing 10 challenges a game, they can not let them work in the playoffs or whatever.

Like I said, we disagree. No worries.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

With robot umps there’s no need for a human behind the plate, just like there’s no need for stenographers in court, or to take the oath for that matter.

Sometimes the guys will get it wrong, and that’s part of being human. The problem is when guys are egregious yet are allowed to continue the behavior. Angel Hernandez has no business being an empire at all, and yet the union doesn’t care about quality., Only about payment of dues.

I wrote a short story once, a creepy science fiction story called “with folded hands” which is rapidly becoming prophetic.

Can a robot ump determine if a batter swings at a pitch or not? Can a RU add to the determination that a pitcher balks or not? Can a RU call a runner safe or out at the plate? Call a foul ball for a batted ball that doesn't reach the 1B or 3B bag? Call interference for a runner inside the 1B line?  

Robo Umps will not eliminate the need for a home plate ump. But they will reduce the volatility of what is called a ball/strike, which is all I really care about. 

• Upvote 1

Robo umps NOW!  The 'human element' should ONLY come from the humans that matter in the game, that being the players.  Let them get properly rewarded with their actual performance.  If the pitcher shows a ball or a strike, he should be rewarded accordingly.  If the batter has a good eye and properly recognizes said ball or strike, he should get properly rewarded for his 'human element'.  The human element outside of the teams on the field SHOULD be removed, so the players can compete evenly and fairly against each other.  We will still need just as many umps for safe/out calls, etc, and to implement the other rules.  But balls/strike can, and should, be automated.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Can a robot ump determine if a batter swings at a pitch or not? Can a RU add to the determination that a pitcher balks or not? Can a RU call a runner safe or out at the plate? Call a foul ball for a batted ball that doesn't reach the 1B or 3B bag? Call interference for a runner inside the 1B line?  

Robo Umps will not eliminate the need for a home plate ump. But they will reduce the volatility of what is called a ball/strike, which is all I really care about. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Meh. I said how I feel. You’re welcome to disagree.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I hate missed calls, especially egregious ones, but I stand by my firm opposition to robot Umps.

Angel Hernandez should be a barista at Starbucks, and everybody knows it, including all of his colleagues.
But the human element is really important and shouldn’t be replaced without really good reason.

Every time there's a discussion about robot umps somebody who opposes an electronic strike zone brings up how we need to keep "the human element" in the game. I cannot emphasize enough how wrong headed this attitude is wrt umpires. The HUMAN ELEMENT of baseball involves the players and the coaches, not the umpires. Never the umpires. Not in a million years the umpires. The boys in blue are a necessary evil who's influence on the game should be minimized where ever and when ever possible. Minimized to the point of total elimination if feasible. That's why the players who do their jobs the best are celebrated, while the umpires who do their jobs the best are unknown and invisible. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

Are umpires worse than they always have been or does every broadcast now having a box that we can use to judge every call off of just skewing it in our minds?

I think the human eye hasn't evolved enough in the past several decades to accurately judge the movement on pitches thrown at high velocity these days. Spin rates and velocity are through the roof.

5 hours ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

Are umpires worse than they always have been or does every broadcast now having a box that we can use to judge every call off of just skewing it in our minds?

The latter.  Evidence shows the umpires have improved significantly.  However, they’re still missing calls 7-8% of the time, which is a lot.