Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

I think that if the robo-ump's accuracy is better than human umpires, and relaying a ball/strike boop/buzz to the home plate ump only takes a third of a second per pitch (and thus wouldn't add more than a minute or two to an average game), that we may as well do that on every pitch in the game, instead of wasting time with challenges. 

Why introduce accuracy technology to the game, and then waste its potential by letting human umpires call most pitches anyway (and yes, human umps would still miss many close pitches, as only the most egregious misses will be challenged).

The umpire would still be able to make common sense over-rulings (like if a pitcher spikes one five feet out in front of the plate and it bounces up into the zone, for example).  And be able to manually call balls and strikes if there's a malfunction.  But otherwise, I'd want him out of the pitch calling equation.  

I agree with you ideally but ultimately I am fine with a good compromise solution if that is the easiest way to get robo adopted with the umpire union, MLB, and Luddite fans. And it has already been tested in the minors, and it works well.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'll be curious to read the article. They are already using a challenge system with roboumps in the minors. My impression is very positive. Umpires keep their jobs, challenges eliminate the worst/highest leverage bad calls, everyone happy.

I really dislike challenge systems in all sports. You eventually get to the point where you have to accept a terribly blown call because the manager used up his challenges previously.

I don't understand why they don't a) have a buzzer to immediately tell the ump if it's a strike, and b) for calls in the field a 5th ump in the booth watching the game and with access to replays that just tells the field umps if they're wrong.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

I think the replay system we have in place for on field calls has forced umpires to up their game, and made them better at their jobs. Having your decision overturned in front of thirty thousand fans in a stadium, and a couple million watching on television, is embarrassing (even humiliating). *

A challenge system for balls and strikes similar to what’s being used in AAA should likewise lead to an improvement in how umpires do their jobs behind the plate. At first we’d see a ton of challenges (99% of which would overturn the ump’s call), but after a while the men in blue would grow tired of getting punked and actually make the right call to begin with. 

* Yes, I understand that even with the current challenge system there are umpires who are so incompetent and/or egotistical that the embarrassment of being constantly overruled mean nothing to them. The only fixes to guys like Angel Hernandez, CB Bucknor, and Laz Diaz is putting them out to pasture. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

12 pitches off the plate called strikes, and if memory serves 11 of them were against the Orioles. O’Nora had a clear and obvious blind spot on that side of the plate, and MLB should either get him additional training or disqualify him from calling balls and strikes going forward. One Eric Gregg in the game was quite enough. 

9A85DA45-7645-4A21-AC1F-27A18F0F4CED.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Thought I would bump this topic. We won 5-0 and the officiating was atrocious.  One of the most recent series, may have been the Brewers, all 3 games were decidedly "favoring" the Brewers.  I put it in quotes because, in no way am I implying umpires dislike the Orioles.  But they have been pretty bad this year so far.  

https://x.com/UmpScorecards/status/1782418235507216887

GLxr8CdWsAAzTmU.jpg

Edited by Mooreisbetter27

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Thought I would bump this topic. We won 5-0 and the officiating was atrocious.  One of the most recent series, may have been the Brewers, all 3 games were decidedly "favoring" the Brewers.  I put it in quotes because, in no way am I implying umpires dislike the Orioles.  But they have been pretty bad this year so far.  

https://x.com/UmpScorecards/status/1782418235507216887

GLxr8CdWsAAzTmU.jpg

Sadly that is actually a "good" scorecard on a relative basis. 94% accuracy and the missed calls were all close. But when even a good scorecard has that many misses that pact the game, that just underscores the need for robo, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sadly that is actually a "good" scorecard on a relative basis. 94% accuracy and the missed calls were all close. But when even a good scorecard has that many misses that pact the game, that just underscores the need for robo, IMO.

Just adding fuel to the fire of the Game Thread crew 😀. But I agree, in general he was good. Which shows how even a good ump can affect one team negatively. That call to Gunnar was a minimum of 1 run cost to us. 

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I put it in quotes because, in no way am I implying umpires dislike the Orioles.  But they have been pretty bad this year so far. 

Per Ump Scorecards, going into today, the O's were the fifth-most negatively impacted team in the MLB. 

And that's going by their stats, which weigh missed pitches by impact to win percentage.  If you were to instead measure by taking each time a bad call extended the opponent's hitting during an inning, treating it as an "umpire error" and making everything that followed umpire-charged runs following the unearned run rules, it'd likely be even worse.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

Per Ump Scorecards, going into today, the O's were the fifth-most negatively impacted team in the MLB. 

And that's going by their stats, which weigh missed pitches by impact to win percentage.  If you were to instead measure by taking each time a bad call extended the opponent's hitting during an inning, treating it as an "umpire error" and making everything that followed umpire-charged runs following the unearned run rules, it'd likely be even worse.   

Always makes me wonder how they calculate something like the Gunnar walk. You can say that cost 1 run, but what about the possible subsequent at bats with the bases loaded? There’s no way to calculate it.