Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m leery of how the game values him because of the subpar on base and sub .800 OPS.

I don’t really see a realistic scenario where we can get back a package like you describe.

Is there anything wrong with letting help this team win?

I think Santander fits the description of a player who has more value to the Orioles over any potential return in a trade. The Orioles know what Santander gives them and due to the limitations you mentioned isn't worth trading. It's very possible the prospect(s) returned in a trade will be much worse players than Santander.

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Because doing so would likely improve the team in the long run? An easy example -- the Braves' DH is currently batting .147 / .256 / .360 after putting up 226 / .274/ .413. last year. You don't think their GM wishes he had Santander in his lineup instead of Ozuna? After years of having one of the best minor league systems in the game Atlanta is pretty thin right now (not a single prospect in the MLB top 100), but the better prospects they do have are mostly pitchers. If I'm Elias I'd offer Santander in trade for 3-4 of their pitching prospects and not think twice about it. We can easily replace Santander in the long term, and all it would take is one of those young arms to eventually become a MLB regular and we'd come out way ahead on the deal. 

I'm sure there are other teams out there that could give us more than the Braves in such a trade, but in any case trading a hot Santander in season is probably the smart move for the Orioles. 

First of all, I don’t see any scenario where any team is giving up 3 to 4 pitching prospects the way starting pitching is valued in the game today. 

Second, aren’t we trying to win just like the Braves? If not this year, when would be the appropriate time to try to make the Major League better? Or are we punting that until next year? Is there rebuild/retool/reload ever going to end or should it just continue indefinitely? 

Am I as a resident of the community, with disposable income (while in a recession), young kids, and plenty of other entertainment  choices, supposed to be interested in investing my money in an ongoing rebuild?

I’m asking for several friends…lol

29 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Santander fits the description of a player who has more value to the Orioles over any potential return in a trade. The Orioles know what Santander gives them and due to the limitations you mentioned isn't worth trading. It's very possible the prospect(s) returned in a trade will be much worse players than Santander.

That's VERY possible. I just struggle with the "why win today win we can try to win tomorrow" approach, when there are too many unpredictable variables in pro sports, like untimely injuries and regression.

Grayson could need TJ next year or the year following OR Adley could suffer an untimely injury like Manny did in 2014, next year or in some future 'promising' season.

While I believe keeping an eye on the future is important, it's certainly no longer more valuable than the present. 

Adley, Grayson, and Gunnar are here now and their clocks have all begun to tick. It's time to start trying to win now. IMO it's no longer prudent to sacrifice the present any longer.

I've made this point a few times before - But HOU has ZERO top 100 prospects. But I'm quite sure they wouldn't trade their last 6 years of success (3 WS appearances and 2 championships) for more stockpile in the top 100 now.

We are never going to be bankrupt of prospects with Elias running the team. But we don't need to continue to strive to be the richest team in prospects either. There is a medium that can be found, where winning games in the present season actually matter... like a lot.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Santander is an interesting player. Very rare do you find a switch hitter with his power that goes off and hits 2 home runs in several games from each side of the plate. He has times when he gets hot and starts hitting like Babe Ruth. But then there's also times he goes very cold too. I have a hard time figuring out Anthony Santander. I just enjoy cheering for him when he's helping the Orioles to win.

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Santander is an interesting player. Very rare do you find a switch hitter with his power that goes off and hits 2 home runs in several games from each side of the plate. He has times when he gets hot and starts hitting like Babe Ruth. But then there's also times he goes very cold too. I have a hard time figuring out Anthony Santander. I just enjoy cheering for him when he's helping the Orioles to win.

Hard not to like 5 consecutive 2-hit games.

Santander and Mountcastle are similar players.  Both have limited defensive value, are streaky, but have a lot of power and can carry a team when they’re hot.   They’re both low OBP guys, though Mountcastle is a little more extreme in that regard.  I don’t mind either one of them.  Their biggest fans are people who worship homers and extra base hits and underrate the importance of getting on base and defensive value.   Their biggest detractors underappreciate that their power does have significant value.

Right now, both are right around their career norms.  I expect many more peaks and valleys from both as the year progresses.

• Upvote 1

I was driving during most of today's game from southern Virginia and got the Braves radio guys the first half.

Recency bias and all, but they were impressed.    One gave the artistic description he looks like he can "bench press a bulldozer."

The biggest differentiator between him and Mountcastle today is service time entering season of 4.162 vs. 2.105.

Mountcastle gets another couple swipes at 125 RBI....Santander gets a Will they Won't they tender wait out this fall.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Santander and Mountcastle are similar players.  Both have limited defensive value, are streaky, but have a lot of power and can carry a team when they’re hot.   They’re both low OBP guys, though Mountcastle is a little more extreme in that regard.  I don’t mind either one of them.  Their biggest fans are people who worship homers and extra base hits and underrate the importance of getting on base and defensive value.   Their biggest detractors underappreciate that their power does have significant value.

Right now, both are right around their career norms.  I expect many more peaks and valleys from both as the year progresses.

I hadn't realized how similar the two are until you said so above, which motivated me to go and peruse their career stats, incl. platoon, clutch, etc. splits. I had always considered Santander the more dependable hitter, but now I see there is no statistical basis for doing so. 🤨

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

I hadn't realized how similar the two are until you said so above, which motivated me to go and peruse their career stats, incl. platoon, clutch, etc. splits. I had always considered Santander the more dependable hitter, but now I see there is no statistical basis for doing so. 🤨

But Santander doesn't have that stupid smile.

• Haha 1

I was still innings behind in the DVR when Santander got doubled off on the bloop Wander caught, helping McClanahan out of one of the innings he looked touchable.

My gut reaction having seen it once is it was a bad read.    I'm sure McClanahan makes run producers feel desperate generally....he's about as flawless an Ace as the game has right now.

Lot of folks around here were saying Anthony should never play an inning in the outfield again a week into the season.

Anthony has always been a solid outfield defender when his legs aren’t compromised. Gets solid jumps and good going back on the ball. Underrated athlete and might have won us the game with that play. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Lot of folks around here were saying Anthony should never play an inning in the outfield again a week into the season.

Anthony has always been a solid outfield defender when his legs aren’t compromised. Gets solid jumps and good going back on the ball. Underrated athlete and might have won us the game with that play. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but IMO Anthony planted about 6 inches too far forward and jumped a split second too soon, or it wouldn’t have seemed like such a spectacular catch.  Not that I’m complaining.   It wasn’t an easy play, and he made it.  That’s the bottom line.  

https://www.mlb.com/video/tyler-wells-in-play-out-s-to-miguel-andujar