Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

I know Oakland isn't much, but that was a clinic last night. He looked bad the first inning but then taught the youngsters what pitching is all about. If he has comand of all his pitches, I think he can go toe to toe with anyone.  Anxious to see what GRod does for an encore.

6 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Inflation is real.  Aaron Boone made $17.7, Alex Cora made $16, Craig Counsell $20 mil, Dave Roberts $23 mil.  I bet they all make more in today's market.

Those are managers.   They didn't make that as coaches.   When players that have made a lot of money retire they either want to spend time with their family and avoid the travel that coaching requires or they have something better than coaching to do.   

I think it would be very rare for a player that has made 54m to go into coaching when he retires.

13 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Inflation is real.  Aaron Boone made $17.7, Alex Cora made $16, Craig Counsell $20 mil, Dave Roberts $23 mil.  I bet they all make more in today's market.

Exactly, I remember long ago when people lamented that modern players wouldn't want to manage because they will have made too much money.  Thing is that lifestyles have to be maintained and there aren't a lot of things outside of TV that athletes can do that pay as well as managing a baseball team.

33 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Those are managers.   They didn't make that as coaches.   When players that have made a lot of money retire they either want to spend time with their family and avoid the travel that coaching requires or they have something better than coaching to do.   

I think it would be very rare for a player that has made 54m to go into coaching when he retires.

Barry Bonds $188M earnings had a year as a hitting coach. 

Harold Baines $24M earnings was a White Sox coach for about 10 years. 

Greg Maddux $153M earnings was a college pitching coach for a while, though I think it was his son's team so that may fit the time with family theme. 

I think a low percentage of all players become coaches but I'm not sure the percentage would be lower for well-paid players. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

How many MLB coaches have made 54M in their career?

It wouldn't be unheard of for a player of Gibson's caliber. Quick glance at current coaches, top earners I see:

Mike Napoli $82M in '10's dollars = $111M

Don Mattingly $29M in '80's/90's dollars = $71M

Sandy Alomar $28M in '90s dollars = $52M (not quite there)

Eric Young $29M in 90's dollars = $51M

Walt Weiss $20M in 90's dollars = $38M

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It wouldn't be unheard of for a player of Gibson's caliber. Quick glance at current coaches, top earners I see:

Mike Napoli $82M in '10's dollars = $111M

Don Mattingly $29M in '80's/90's dollars = $71M

Sandy Alomar $28M in '90s dollars = $52M (not quite there)

Eric Young $29M in 90's dollars = $51M

Walt Weiss $20M in 90's dollars = $38M

Pitchers?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Still pretty small chance Gibson becomes a MLB coach.   I will bet he doesn't.  Anyone want to take the other side of that bet?

I wouldn't put the odds of Gibson becoming a coach any lower than any other player. I don't think I would take that bet for any player no matter how little money they made playing.