Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

And that's even without mentioning the fact that Lyles is having a horrible season this year: 0-8, 7.15 ERA, with 14 homers yielded already in 56.67 innings (Gibson: 6 / 66) despite half of his starts being in spacious Kauffman Stadium.

I appreciate what Lyles brought to the O’s and I’m sorry that he’s doing so poorly in KC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I appreciate what Lyles brought to the O’s and I’m sorry that he’s doing so poorly in KC.

Of course, I do too. But it does look like the Oriole management yet again made the right move--as was acquiring him in the first place.

• 1 month later...

Halfway along, here's how he mixes in with last winter's other 1-year deals near his price point.   Its a known known you constrain yourself on talent keeping it to one year guys.    

13 Syndergaard, 55 innings of 7.00 ERA

12 Clevinger, 60 innings of 4.00 ERA

10 Kluber, 55 innings of 7.00 ERA

10 Gibson, 95 innings of 4.50 ERA

10 Matt Boyd, 70 innings of 5.50 ERA, and Tommy John

8.5 Cueto, 1 inning of 36.00 ERA

8.5 Greinke, 85 innings of 5.00 ERA

8.5 Lorenzen, 80 innings of 4.25 ERA

8 Rich Hill, 90 innings of 4.50 ERA

We'll see what Means and Grayson tell us in the second half about our need for this kind of guy in 2024.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Halfway along, here's how he mixes in with last winter's other 1-year deals near his price point.   Its a known known you constrain yourself on talent keeping it to one year guys.    

13 Syndergaard, 55 innings of 7.00 ERA

12 Clevinger, 60 innings of 4.00 ERA

10 Kluber, 55 innings of 7.00 ERA

10 Gibson, 95 innings of 4.50 ERA

10 Matt Boyd, 70 innings of 5.50 ERA, and Tommy John

8.5 Cueto, 1 inning of 36.00 ERA

8.5 Greinke, 85 innings of 5.00 ERA

8.5 Lorenzen, 80 innings of 4.25 ERA

8 Rich Hill, 90 innings of 4.50 ERA

We'll see what Means and Grayson tell us in the second half about our need for this kind of guy in 2024.

That’s about a 50% bust rate on the low financial risk deals. Spending on pitching is a tough game. 

• Upvote 1

He should get it back today, but all square after 17 turns (giving Wells full turn credit for backing up Bradish in April), Wells has passed him for the team lead in innings pitched.

Only Gibson will get a 19th turn Sunday before the break, and then we'll see if he gets priority pitch over some of the others coming out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, banks703 said:

When he’s started games poorly Gibson has done a decent job of battling through to eat innings but man, it seems like every other game starts off like this for him. 

Hopefully he can stay in the game to save the pen. 

Came here to post something similar. It’s actually kind of impressive in a weird way. He figures out a way to get through 5 or 6. 

• Upvote 1

There was some shoddy defense behind GIbson in the 2nd.   I'm not saying he pitched well -- he didn't -- but the defense left a lot to be desired.   Gibson could have gotten out of that inning giving up just 2 runs and his overall line would look a lot better.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There was some shoddy defense behind GIbson in the 2nd.   I'm not saying he pitched well -- he didn't -- but the defense left a lot to be desired.   Gibson could have gotten out of that inning giving up just 2 runs and his overall line would look a lot better.

I completely agree.  First he screwed up the grounder up the middle, then Mullins made a really stupid throw to 3B on a single up the middle, then Mateo had a chopper in the hole go off his glove.  Those three batted balls had xBAs of .240, .060 and .160.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I completely agree.  First he screwed up the grounder up the middle, then Mullins made a really stupid throw to 3B on a single up the middle, then Mateo had a chopper in the hole go off his glove.  Those three batted balls had xBAs of .240, .060 and .160.   

Don't forget Westburg's throw to the plate.  The good news was their starter was no stopper.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Mullins throw was stupid.   A good throw on the fly or better hop probably gets the runner there.    It’s not like he had no chance there.   Mateo could have had the one back handed and Westburg is the one with the bad decision.  As soon as he had to lateral to field the ball he should have gone to 1B instead of home where he had no chance.   It was an unlucky inning for Gibson and some plays that could have been made that weren’t.   I counted 2 clean line drive singles and then grounder up the middle.  

• Upvote 1

He's worked the ASB slingshot and a couple of the other AL hosses wobbling to pitch his way back near the top of the charts.   He's contributed mightily to the staff getting to late July with the best record in the American League - there is almost nothing that could happen from here to turn 1/10 into a bad outcome, and with a mid-case finish he should do better than the $17mm BAL helped Jordan Lyles get guaranteed.     Bradish and Kremer even look like they are verging on being able to be the ones to give "how do you make it through a year in the Show" lessons.

Innings Pitched
1. Eovaldi  TEX 123.2
2. Cole  NYY 123.0
3. Bassitt  TOR 121.2
  López  MIN 121.2
5. Gibson  BAL 121.0

Too bad we didn't get him more runs in the 2nd inning....as much as bullpen guys wearing out a bummer, on a gut level that was the pivot point last night.      Next turn leading off the Canada series looking like a Bassitt head to head.

Is he going to do better or worse than 1/10 this offseason?

Innings Pitched
1. Cole • NYY 129.1
2. López • MIN 128.2
3. Gibson • BAL 127.0
4. Bassitt • TOR 126.2

Career win #99.     

Bassitt has him by half a run of ERA, but I did notice YTD all 67 runs Gibson has yielded are earned, while Bassitt has totals of 66 R and 59 ER.     Their IP totals virtually identical at the top of the league.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Like 1