Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

That was about the same part of the Fred Nats park Kjerstad reached when Delmarva was there last season.

Usually not many oppo HR's get hit in Low-A, or at least those that hit them aren't there long.     Except that here he's already the league's youngest.

Almost all of Gunnar’s homers in low A were opposite field, as I recall.  Nitpickers were questioning if he could pull the ball.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Almost all of Gunnar’s homers in low A were opposite field, as I recall.  Nitpickers were questioning if he could pull the ball.  

Because covid we won't know how long Elias would have had him there in 2020, or how much oppo pop he already had by that year, but Gunnar's low A 2021 yardstick was 35 games after another winter with a pro training regimen.

'23 Basallo is more like what a proper 2020 Gunnar low A "13th grade" year would have been demographically.

At a glance Edwin Arroyo looks like last year's best Age 18 bat in the three low A leagues and he became a pillar of Seattle's Luis Castillo acquisition.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Because covid we won't know how long Elias would have had him there in 2020, or how much oppo pop he already had by that year, but Gunnar's low A 2021 yardstick was 35 games after another winter with a pro training regimen.

'23 Basallo is more like what a proper 2020 Gunnar low A "13th grade" year would have been demographically.

At a glance Edwin Arroyo looks like last year's best Age 18 bat in the three low A leagues and he became a pillar of Seattle's Luis Castillo acquisition.

Basallo has tremendous power at 18, no question about it.  

Holy crap.  The camera switch was too slow to even catch it.  

A part of me wants to switch him off Catcher to get that bat up here while we have Adley, but then a part of me wants him as an Adley replacement option at Catcher.  Catching might be an easier position than ever before with the pitch calling devices, and lack of stolen bases.  

I want to get greedy and have that bat up here for Adley years 4-6.  Even if at 1B/DH.  

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Easy swing too.  Very little movement and then the ball jumps!  Wow!  

Look how little his head moves....Let's it get super deep and then just easily flicks it over the LF fence on a line.  Don't think he even broke a sweat. 

At the game last night I was extremely impressed with Basallo.  He is a physical marvel.  He build and size is something to see and he move well for a man his size.  The ball just sounds different off of his bat like it does with great hitters.  They stole a few bases on him and he looked a little slow getting out of his crouch, but the arm is strong.  I think at the end of the day he is a first basemen.  Before each at bat he looked to Holiday for info on what the pitcher was doing and how his pitches moved, can't wait to see him develop.

• Upvote 3

This kid has me excited not only for his own development, but also for seeing what’s next on the international pipeline. I wonder who’s in the DR and FL complex as we speak, ready to make the next great impression?  

SO good to see an international presence that is already showing results. 

On 4/18/2023 at 9:19 PM, Just Regular said:

Usually not many oppo HR's get hit in Low-A, or at least those that hit them aren't there long.     Except that here he's already the league's youngest.

Holliday hit two oppo homers tonight.