Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think in podcast I heard Holliday mention Willems and Servideo in Delmarva roommate context.

Is Willems flirting with doing enough in his repeat of Delmarva for the Aberdeen test together whenever Holliday gets the bump?   

Probably not - the 250 bad and 50 good combine to a 696 Shorebirds OPS, but the different guy he looks like has already put a +100 on that sub-600 number from last year.

I think Willems is looking at a relatively long stay down there. I wouldn’t think he would be called up to Aberdeen until June or so unless he keeps his OPS in the 1300 range and then at that point, you would have to move him up. The next 2 weeks will be important for him in that regards.

16 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I wonder who they promote first Basallo or Willems if both are hitting well? Or who moves to 1B?

I think Willems would get promoted first.   He's got more experience in low A and he's showing better plate discipline numbers.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, EdwinRip said:

Hopefully he didn’t get injured.  I saw he was HBP twice and lifted for a pinch hitter in the 6th.

I wonder if he leans out over the plate as he has already been hit 3 times in 48 plate appearances this year and was hit 9 times in 246 plate appearances last year. 

.395/.521/.790 slash line through 11 games. Hopefully he makes his way to Aberdeen before the All Star Break. He isn't exactly old for the league, but finishing the season in high A is appropriate for a prospect turning 20 during the season.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've gotta say, I did NOT see this coming.

I did not see this coming but I expected much better numbers from him this year.   Again, we are talking about a kid who was 18 at this time last year, had barely played in the FCL, and was making probably the biggest jump in pro ball, especially now that there are no short season rookie leagues above the complex leagues.    Let's give the Orioles some credit.   Here are the HS position players they've taken in each draft.

2019 - 2nd round - Gunnar Henderson     5th round Darell Hernaiz

2020 - 5th round Coby Mayo (overslot)

2021 - 8th round Creed Willems (overslot)

2022 - 1st round Jackson Holliday

Every expert said Druw Jones was the clear #1 pick last year.    So far, I don't think anyone is disappointed that we took Holliday.

As few HS players as they have taken, they have chosen well.

• Upvote 3

On 4/22/2023 at 6:41 AM, Sports Guy said:

I think Willems is looking at a relatively long stay down there. I wouldn’t think he would be called up to Aberdeen until June or so unless he keeps his OPS in the 1300 range and then at that point, you would have to move him up. The next 2 weeks will be important for him in that regards.

This seems a bit ridiculous to hold him down for an extra month and a half while he does a Barry bonds impression against low-A pitching.  You've got to challenge him IMO.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I did not see this coming but I expected much better numbers from him this year.   Again, we are talking about a kid who was 18 at this time last year, had barely played in the FCL, and was making probably the biggest jump in pro ball, especially now that there are no short season rookie leagues above the complex leagues.    Let's give the Orioles some credit.   Here are the HS position players they've taken in each draft.

2019 - 2nd round - Gunnar Henderson     5th round Darell Hernaiz

2020 - 5th round Coby Mayo (overslot)

2021 - 8th round Creed Willems (overslot)

2022 - 1st round Jackson Holliday

Every expert said Druw Jones was the clear #1 pick last year.    So far, I don't think anyone is disappointed that we took Holliday.

As few HS players as they have taken, they have chosen well.

They don't take many high school players in the draft overall, but they certainly have not done bad with their high school hitting picks. Whether these guys make it or not is still unknown (outside of Gunnar) but they have not totally whiffed on any, and that's tough to do because high school hitters are risky picks for the most part with a high level of complete wash outs.

44 minutes ago, Hallas said:

This seems a bit ridiculous to hold him down for an extra month and a half while he does a Barry bonds impression against low-A pitching.  You've got to challenge him IMO.

I get it but he was hot garbage last year and I’m not sure you ignore that because of a really hot 3 week stretch. 

If he was merely ok last year, I would agree but he was terrible.

Now, like I said, if he is still doing this in 2 weeks or so, you have to make the change.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I get it but he was hot garbage last year and I’m not sure you ignore that because of a really hot 3 week stretch. 

If he was merely ok last year, I would agree but he was terrible.

Now, like I said, if he is still doing this in 2 weeks or so, you have to make the change.

I think they’ll be patient.  Hopefully Willems continues to excel and push for a promotion.