McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

46 minutes ago, waroriole said:

No it’s not. He doesn’t even know why Stowers made the team if he wasn’t gonna play. 

Hyde didn't know that Mateo and Urias would be hitting well this early.  If they weren't hitting well Gunnar would be playing everyday at SS/3B.   Opening room at DH.  DH/RF  at bats the Santander and Stowers would be getting.

Wait a little bit.   Slumps and injuries will happen.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde didn't know that Mateo and Urias would be hitting well this early.  If they weren't hitting well Gunnar would be playing everyday at SS/3B.   Opening room at DH.  DH/RF  at bats the Santander and Stowers would be getting.

Wait a little bit.   Slumps and injuries will happen.

Hays isn’t hitting well. He could play once a week for Hays. Santander isn’t hitting well. He could play once a week there too. He’s also been a better hitter than Vavra at every step of the way. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I just explained it. But you can sit Hays at least once a week. Same with Santander. And Vavra should not be getting any ABs at DH ahead of Stowers. 

My point would be whether they think the team/Stowers would benefit from that. 

Which gets back to original point of why was he on team to begin with? If they didn’t want to bench someone to play him then why was he on the team?

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point would be whether they think the team/Stowers would benefit from that. 

Which gets back to original point of why was he on team to begin with? If they didn’t want to bench someone to play him then why was he on the team?

Don’t ask Hyder. He doesn’t know. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

GG caliber Urias and Mateo are play well and hitting.  Frazier has been hitting as well.   That has pushed Gunnar to backup at SS/3B and  more time at DH.   With Adley and Santander also DHing there is no much room for Stowers.   

Hays and Santander are injury prone.  I don't expect Urias and Mateo to keep hitting like they have been.   At some point there will be PT for Stowers.

Yes, the problem is we have 1+ WAR guys at every position. It is quite possible that Stowers does not outperform Hays/Mateo/Urias/Frazier. But he had a good enough minors career it seems a good idea to give a chance to the younger, cheaper, still developing guy. With the roster we have I agree Stowers may be outside our top 10, but if he is close enough why sign Frazier? Why not trade Urias/Mateo/Hays/Santander? Or trade Stowers. The net result of signing Frazier and refusing to trade anyone is wasting Stowers talent. Westburg may be next.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, the problem is we have 1+ WAR guys at every position. It is quite possible that Stowers does not outperform Hays/Mateo/Urias/Frazier. But he had a good enough minors career it seems a good idea to give a chance to the younger, cheaper, still developing guy. With the roster we have I agree Stowers may be outside our top 10, but if he is close enough why sign Frazier? Why not trade Urias/Mateo/Hays/Santander? Or trade Stowers. The net result of signing Frazier and refusing to trade anyone is wasting Stowers talent. Westburg may be next.

If only there had been this extended period of time in which the team wasn't trying to be competitive in which they could have sorted out who would be the best choices to keep going forward when the team was trying to be competitive. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If only there had been this extended period of time in which the team wasn't trying to be competitive in which they could have sorted out who would be the best choices to keep going forward when the team was trying to be competitive. 

I think they did do that... then inexplicably signed Frazier. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

See I don’t agree with this. 

I don’t think you force trades because your options are increased. Frazier really does not impact Stowers that much. Indirectly he does to an extent but Frazier has started 7/9 at 2nd base. 

In order for Stowers to play with current roster they need to be willing to rest guys more. They haven’t done that much.