McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

I don’t understand why Stowers has played sparingly either, but there has to be a reason. The upside of him going down is to get everyday at bats, which he needs. Maybe that buys some time to make a deal that may or may not already be in the works. It could be Stowers is going out in a trade, and the AAA at bats help rebuild his value.

With Kjerstad and Cowser emerging rapidly, was Stowers going to stay here long term? And unless they start playing Westburg in the OF, I think he is being traded as well. 

I don’t believe Stowers can come back up in less than 10 days unless there is a player going on the IL, but maybe I’m wrong. If that is true, has to be another player if the nest move is in four days as was speculated. Probably Lester or O’Hearn. 

I just had one other ominous speculative thought. What if Adley is playing through some injury right now and they kept Bemboom around as insurance? Or it could be that they aren’t sure McCann is not going to aggravate the oblique again, which is a concern with those injuries and his history. It would have made more sense to keep him on a rehab though. I don’t know what to think here. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read it as they are not sure McCann is 100% healthy.

Which, if true, should lead to McCann having a rehab stint.

Is this a respect the vet thing?

Think it’s as simple as giving Stowers every day Abs.  He isn’t cracking lineup with everyone hitting and he isn’t a defensive replacement for mate in games. I think the respect thing was having Stowers start the year on the MLB club. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It’s that last question where he sounds like he has no idea what he’s doing. Or he’s afraid to tell Hays he’s gonna sit some games. Hyder sounds like he isn’t cut out for this. 

That was not my first thought reading his answer. Weird. Hyde was 2nd place in Manager of the Year voting, he is doing just fine. The problem is that Hays probably gives us a better chance to win every night than Stowers, so if you want to see Stowers every day Elias (not Hyde) needs to trade Hays.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

That was not my first thought reading his answer. Weird. Hyde was 2nd place in Manager of the Year voting, he is doing just fine. The problem is that Hays probably gives us a better chance to win every night than Stowers, so if you want to see Stowers every day Elias (not Hyde) needs to trade Hays.

Manager of the year voting is indeed the best way to judge how a manager is doing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

It’s really easy to get Stowers consistent playing time. You just need to sit Hays and Santander once a week, and let Stowers run through the DH rotation. There’s no excuse to not give him 3 starts a week even while everyone is healthy and reasonably performing. If Hyde can’t figure that out, they need to find someone who will. 

I pretty much guarantee that Hyde isn’t deciding unilaterally to play Stowers that seldom.  I don’t think the front office micromanages the lineups, but they let Hyde know generally what they want and discuss things.  

• Like 1

I'm late to this party, but emotion aside, if folks want to make the argument that Stowers should be getting regular time over someone else who is, that's a fair opinion.  I don't know that I've seen enough from Stowers at the Major League level to have an informed opinion, and he's not getting the chance to prove himself right now.

The reality is, he's not getting playing time over the others, and he needs to play, so I think him being chosen to go to Norfolk to get that playing time makes a ton of sense to get into a groove.  

I'd rather have Benboom not playing than Stowers,.....but that's just my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Insurance for what?

If McCann is healthy there is no reason for Bemboom to be on the roster, when would you want to play him?

I think you can only make player moves the first 10 days/games because of injury and not performance. So we could only send one down for McCann. I’m sure Benboom is gone as soon as that deadline hits. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I share your same frustration and bewilderment-- just the other day I said I expected Stowers to start both games against RHP in the Yankees series. But it's too soon to say never like that. Injury or poor performance from any one of 6-7 guys in the regular lineup could open up more substantial PT for Stowers pretty quickly. 

Just like Grayson going from AAA to a rotation start overnight with Bradish's injury, they probably just view Stowers as the best outfielder/DH they don't have space for, and if/once that space exists he'd be first in line.  I don't agree with that assessment because I would be giving Stowers plenty of PT over Vavra and Frazier, but I think that's what's going on. 

Frazier has proven that he's a professional hitter so far this year....one quality at after another.   Much more polished than Stowers showed last year, plus Frazier playing 2B doesn't directly impact Stowers not being in the lineup.  

I get the fact that people hated the Frazier signing, but I think he's been better than expected, and that just makes those that root against him angrier.  And, there's a lot of folks rooting against this guy, just to rail on Elias. 

Stowers has clearly not pushed anyone out of a starting role.  Did he mash during spring training?  I'm guessing he didn't.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

No Way Meme GIF

Then keep crying about it. 

I mean, I think Hays and Santander have stayed past their welcome and I’d prefer to see someone like Stowers, too. But I’m also not about to pretend that Stowers is a guy without some serious flaws and doesn’t deserve a spot just because he’s got upside. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If you think Hyde is solely making the call on the lineup then I honestly don’t know what to tell you. 

I don’t think either of us know the answer to that. Even if it’s not his call, you still have to explain your boss’s decisions better than that. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think either of us know the answer to that. Even if it’s not his call, you still have to explain your boss’s decisions better than that. 

Yes we do. Modern baseball the FO plays a huge role in lineup construction. 

They sent Stowers down. Do you think they did that because Hyde would not play him? 

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Manager of the year voting is indeed the best way to judge how a manager is doing.

Better indicator than a random quote on Twitter. He also got those votes with a +19 win season vs projection. Maybe that was all the players and luck but that is hard to do if he is "in over his head".

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes we do. Modern baseball the FO plays a huge role in lineup construction. 

They sent Stowers down. Do you think they did that because Hyde would not play him? 

I don’t think it was just Elias telling him what to do.