McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

Just now, seak05 said:

They face a right handed starting pitcher. The next 4 games are all being started by lefties, which is why having a third catcher on the roster makes some small amount of sense for a few games. 

So, somehow, LH hitting Bemboom is still on the roster BECAUSE we are facing lefties the next few days? I guess I am missing something in this bizarre logic.  And who do you think comes up 4 days from now?

I disagree with this decision but I can see why it was made. There are really only semi-regular ABs right now for Vavra or Stowers - they are using Vavra exclusively as an OF/DH, and seem to want to be able to use Gunnar and Urias at DH with some frequency so that Urias/Frazier/Mateo all get consistent playing time. I’d rather see Stowers in the lineup than any of those 3 (or Vavra), but it seems that’s the direction they are going.

The advantage of the 3rd catcher is that you can DH Adley and pinch hit for McCann without needing to move Adley back to catcher. I think that has more benefit to give Adley the full days off from catching than getting Stowers 6 PAs in 8 games like he’s had. Stowers should be a regular in the lineup rather than playing all 4 IFs and Vavra regularly, but Stowers is better served playing regularly in AAA rather than rotting away on the bench and the small marginal benefit of the 3rd catcher is probably worthwhile.

However, if they decide they are going to start McCann at DH/1B more regularly than just whatever minimum rest days Adley needs, as some of those concerning reports indicated when he was acquired, this is going to be truly appalling mismanagement. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why did they wait to put Mountcastle at first?

When he was in the minors? Not sure but at least he played the IF. I’m sure it’s more of an adjustment to go from OF to 1B than 3B/SS to 1B. Also, Mountcastle did make the move in 2019 so there was some experience before coming to Baltimore. 

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So, somehow, LH hitting Bemboom is still on the roster BECAUSE we are facing lefties the next few days? I guess I am missing something in this bizarre logic.  And who do you think comes up 4 days from now?

They’re facing lefties, so they want the right handed hitting McCann and Adley both in the lineup (potentially). Benboom gives you a catcher on the bench. That way you can pinch hit for McCann and not lose the dh spot (if Adley is dhing). 

• Upvote 2

Just now, seak05 said:

They’re facing lefties, so they want the right handed hitting McCann and Adley both in the lineup (potentially). Benboom gives you a catcher on the bench. That way you can pinch hit for McCann and not lose the dh spot (if Adley is dhing). 

Exactly. Face 4 lefties in a row. Then Bemboom is gone. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

The story here isn’t Bemboom it’s Stowers. Bemboom is temporary. 

So I guess what you are saying is that they like another LH bat such as O' Hearn more than Stowers and that this is a transitional move while we are facing lefties and the other LH bat will be up by next weekend and Bemboom will go down.

Well I guess we'll find out in a few days if that is the case.  But it does beg the question, why not just have that other lefty bat on the team from the start if you preferred him to Stowers?

Just now, SteveA said:

So I guess what you are saying is that they like another LH bat such as O' Hearn more than Stowers and that this is a transitional move while we are facing lefties and the other LH bat will be up by next weekend and Bemboom will go down.

Well I guess we'll find out in a few days if that is the case.  But it does beg the question, why not just have that other lefty bat on the team from the start if you preferred him to Stowers?

Correct.  

fair question. I really wonder how much analytics in terms of pitch types is playing a role in daily lineups. 

Agree this is a litmus test on the roster as Elias envisioned it whether James McCann is part of the "Top 9" against LHP.

I could imagine this Stowers sequence ending next weekend with Westburg on the roster, but we'll see who arrives when Bemboom is cycled out.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1