McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Detroit is 12 days away.

Yes but Tuesday at Oakland is 2 nights away  with 3 LH starters then Chicago W/ 3 RH starters then back home against Detroit couple Lefthanders. Bring up Westburg or Norby give them some starts against these Lefthanders maybe a couple pinch hit chances say 12 to 15 abs over those 9 games  see what shakes out  if it does not work out or they look overmatched option and reset the roster If nothing else good experience. Got to make more sense than 3 catchers.

Stowers got a raw deal.  The way he save Tyler Wells in the Texas game at the wall, and got the defense started, should have earned him more opportunities. Especially over the other outfield options. But I guess this is more of factors being he's left handed, and they can still preserve some of his service time in AAA rather than sitting the MLB bench and doing nothing. He'll get more playing time in AAA than what they're giving him now in MLB. They already burned through McKenna's service time and McKenna is right handed. So I guess that's why they made the decision they did.

I just have to wonder what they're going to do after the week is over. I see no reason to keep 3 catchers unless  you're just going to DH Adley Rutschman all of the time. (And on that note, I think they should've paired Bemboon with Tyler Wells because they worked so good together in the Rangers game.)

Are they allowed to replace a position player with a pitcher? That might be another thing they're thinking. They have 3 infielders who are capable of playing the outfield, so a back up outfielder isn't as critical right now.

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

McKenna can play center.  Stowers can't or maybe I should say shouldn't.

Mateo can play Center too. Just saying, that makes it more flexible and a better lineup to have Gunnar, Ramon, and Jorge in their all together at the same time. I would venture to say that Mateo could do pretty well at Center Field with his speed and range.

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some of you guys are gonna have to get over the emotional attachments to some of these guys when they don’t get enough at bats, are blocked by someone in the majors, get traded before they have a chance to make an impact or some combination of all of the above. 

This just makes me think about all the former Orioles we let go and who end up with division rivals and beating us. Guys like Lester Cortes, Franchy Cordero, and Kevin Gausman.

The Orioles should learn a lesson from their poor management of young players and stop letting those players talents go to a rival when it could actually help the team get over the hump. Imagine if they still had those 2 aforementioned pitchers in their rotation, especially Cortes the way he is now.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This just makes me think about all the former Orioles we let go and who end up with division rivals and beating us. Guys like Lester Cortes, Franchy Cordero, and Kevin Gausman.

The Orioles should learn a lesson from their poor management of young players and stop letting those players talents go to a rival when it could actually help the team get over the hump. Imagine if they still had those 2 aforementioned pitchers in their rotation, especially Cortes the way he is now.

It’s really bad how terrible the other teams in the MLB are at evaluating talent considering we got Mateo, Urias, Santander, Wells, Bautista, and Perez, all for nothing. 

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some of you guys are gonna have to get over the emotional attachments to some of these guys when they don’t get enough at bats, are blocked by someone in the majors, get traded before they have a chance to make an impact or some combination of all of the above. 

It has nothing to do with emotional detachment to anyone. If you don't understand the frustrations many of have over Stowers than I don't know what to tell you. 

If players are blocked in AAA by much better players then great. When players are not getting playing time over lesser players, than yes, those of us that are using actual baseball logic are upset that the Orioles have chosen to go in another direction.

It has ZERO to do with "emotional Attachment". I want the Orioles to build a roster with the best talent they have and they are choosing otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It has nothing to do with emotional detachment to anyone. If you don't understand the frustrations many of have over Stowers than I don't know what to tell you. 

If players are blocked in AAA by much better players then great. When players are not getting playing time over lesser players, than yes, those of us that are using actual baseball logic are upset that the Orioles have chosen to go in another direction.

It has ZERO to do with "emotional Attachment". I want the Orioles to build a roster with the best talent they have and they are choosing otherwise. 

It’s just so odd. All you do is talk about your prospects and how highly they are ranked, etc…and then you block them with mediocre vets, some of which are expensive. You don’t move players, you don’t create space and you don’t field your most talented players.

I really don’t get it. 

20 hours ago, waroriole said:

It’s that last question where he sounds like he has no idea what he’s doing. Or he’s afraid to tell Hays he’s gonna sit some games. Hyder sounds like he isn’t cut out for this. 

I don't think Hyde is making these lineup decisions because his excuses don't hold weight. I can guarantee a good manager (if he were making out the lineup cards himself like they used to do) would have found a way to get Stowers 4 starts a week at worse. 

His excuse to why Stowers gets no PAs against lefties was weak. BTW, good on whoever asked those questions. If Hyde really feels the way his answers come across, then I do think he's over his head a little bit when it comes to using all his talent on his roster.

There is a reason you have 26 guys on a roster and you wanna just run out the same basic lineup everyday they will be cooked by Late August.

BTW, his "Have you looked at our outfielders" comment is hilarious. Hays (.715 OPS), Mullins (.647), Santander (.556) with back ups in Vavra (.311) and McKenna (661 OPS). Yeah, I don't know how he could have found some PAs for Stowers with the way they've hit the ball. Lol

Just more BS from Hyde and the Orioles. If Hyde is making out the lineup cards by himself, he's over his head and should not be around here when the team is really ready to compete, but I think he does nothing more than give health updates to Sig or Sig's computer minions before the computer spits out it's "optimized lineups". 

Sure, it's early in the season but the team is last place once again, is 2-4 against the AL East, and has rarely looked like the best team on the field talent wise against their opponents.

We are 5 years into Elias' reign. He gets judged on wins and losses at the major league level and his roster decisions are not looking good at all.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe Stowers is overrated on here.  Is that not a possibility?

Don't get me wrong, I'm over Santander and I'm over Hays.  I'd prefer to see Stowers over either of them, but I don't think the talent gap between the three is necessarily that huge, which makes the outrage over the treatment of Stowers a bit more perplexing.  Sure, these three players have different skill sets and yes, I'd agree that Stowers has more upside since he's younger and Santander/Hays are what they are at this point.  

But people are acting like the Orioles just demoted the second coming of Mickey Mantle, that Stowers is heads and shoulders above the other two.  And like I said, I'm tired of Hays and Santander but I'm not sure that Stowers is some kind of automatic upgrade that only people on the OH can see and that the Orioles management is completely oblivious to.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Stowers is overrated on here.  Is that not a possibility?

Don't get me wrong, I'm over Santander and I'm over Hays.  I'd prefer to see Stowers over either of them, but I don't think the talent gap between the three is necessarily that huge, which makes the outrage over the treatment of Stowers a bit more perplexing.  Sure, these three players have different skill sets and yes, I'd agree that Stowers has more upside since he's younger and Santander/Hays are what they are at this point.  

But people are acting like the Orioles just demoted the second coming of Mickey Mantle, that Stowers is heads and shoulders above the other two.  And like I said, I'm tired of Hays and Santander but I'm not sure that Stowers is some kind of automatic upgrade that only people on the OH can see and that the Orioles management is completely oblivious to.

No, people are saying we have plenty of at bats for a player who has shown well at the pro level and doesn’t have elite talent in front of him.

No one is acting like he’s something he’s not. Just saying he should get a chance and this organization shouldn’t be acting in the completely moronic way that they are.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just so odd. All you do is talk about your prospects and how highly they are ranked, etc…and then you block them with mediocre vets, some of which are expensive. You don’t move players, you don’t create space and you don’t field your most talented players.

I really don’t get it. 

It has been illogical and honestly, extraordinarily disappointing for me. Their love for guys like Hays and Santander, who are probably 4th outfielders on good teams, just doesn't make a ton of sense. They are role players on good teams, not guys you play 7 days a week while a good prospects wastes away on the bench. 

Something is wrong with their evaluation system when it comes to building a 26 man roster. You want either speed, defense or power from your bench, hopefully from guys who have proven they can be productive with less than use. You don't sit your 25-year old outfielder who mashed AAA pitching last year. And what system decides that AAA split stats don't matter at the major league level? It's all so disappointing because I really do think they are pretty good at drafting hitting talent.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It has been illogical and honestly, extraordinarily disappointing for me. Their love for guys like Hays and Santander, who are probably 4th outfielders on good teams, just doesn't make a ton of sense. They are role players on good teams, not guys you play 7 days a week while a good prospects wastes away on the bench. 

Something is wrong with their evaluation system when it comes to building a 26 man roster. You want either speed, defense or power from your bench, hopefully from guys who have proven they can be productive with less than use. You don't sit your 25-year old outfielder who mashed AAA pitching last year. And what system decides that AAA split stats don't matter at the major league level? It's all so disappointing because I really do think they are pretty good at drafting hitting talent.

Uh oh, don’t call Hays a 4th OFer. @Pickles is going to have a heart attack.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No, people are saying we have plenty of at bats for a player who has shown well at the pro level and doesn’t have elite talent in front of him.

No one is acting like he’s something he’s not. Just saying he should get a chance and this organization shouldn’t be acting in the completely moronic way that they are.

That's fair, and I don't disagree.  Like I said, I'd prefer him over Hays/Santander and I agree that those guys aren't elite but neither is Stowers.  

My argument is that I don't necessarily see Stowers as a future piece.  For that matter, I don't see Hays/Santander as future pieces either...since I view them all as fungible, I don't get the outrage, outside the fact that Stowers is the one with upside.

If I had to guess, I would assume that the Orioles don't want another strikeout machine in the lineup.  Hays and Santander whiff a lot, I'm wondering if the Orioles think they can get Stowers to work on his contact issues at Norfolk.