Adam Jones Speaks Up

Saintbird

Wow I cant believe such a big deal is being made of this whole weight gain. I take this all as being great news, he sounds positive upbeat and Optimistic about the upcoming season, He has been working hard all year and seems poised for a breakout year. The weight he has gained will only help him, He seemed a bit on the thin side last year to me so the extra weight should fill him out and I think will make him a better player. API has an amazing reputation you all have nothing to worry about.... THIS IS A GOOD REPORT.

I cannot wait to see this young OF next year, it is going to be exciting to watch. :D

This is an incredible outfield, I have high hopes for all of them. Pie, Jones, Kakes - my butt is in a seat at OPACY this year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an incredible outfield, I have high hopes for all of them. Pie, Jones, Kakes - my butt is in a seat at OPACY this year.

We might as well call AJ, "Cookies" for all that weight he put on and to fit in with the other names in the OF

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/01/orioles_talk_adam_jones.html

Rotoworlds Take:"Sounds like it's already time for a change of plans in Baltimore. The extra weight and strength might not be a bad thing for Jones' game overall, but Felix Pie in center and Jones in left would seem to be a significantly better arrangement for the team."

Link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=72

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/01/orioles_talk_adam_jones.html

Rotoworlds Take:"Sounds like it's already time for a change of plans in Baltimore. The extra weight and strength might not be a bad thing for Jones' game overall, but Felix Pie in center and Jones in left would seem to be a significantly better arrangement for the team."

Link:

Isn't this what we were talking about last year when we acquired Jones and almost got Pie?

I think it is odd to move a great man in CF to a new position. However, it does make sense. If Pie's defense is that great and about the same as Jones or a little better, which would have to be unbelievable, then go ahead. I think Jones can play LF, he just has the right mindset, and I think he can adjust and be just as good in LF than CF, or maybe better. I believe Pie is, but I have to see it first, a great fielder. Can he be as good as Jones? That is the only question. I think either one can play either position well, it just seems jones is a better fit in LF if it doesn't hurt him.

Link:

I have no doubt that Pie should be the CFer and Jones moves to LF. Jones is a very good CFer, Pie is better. Jones reminds me of a young Don Baylor, a gifted athlete who is going to fill out into a power player. Pie is the natural CFer, and I am not knocking Jones at all. In fact, I think Jones is going to be a superstar. But a superstar LFer.

That's not exactly true. I'd be willing to bet that most players lift more heavily as the season goes on. It's the volume of their workload that shrinks, not the intensity. Most (especially the younger guys) are probably lifting close to their maximum levels near the second half of the season

It's a pretty solid plan. Strength trainers typically advocate an off-season of bulk, then varying the intensity/workload levels prior to the season, and then get into a maintenance mode. Truth be told, 162 games in a season, plus the number of practices in a week does not lend to bulking nor high intensity, high workload. It can typically be a combination of the two, but it varies from person to person. I just don't see many athletes putting on weight as the season goes on. And if they do, it's a very minute fluctuation.

It does vary person to person, that's for sure.

If Jones can play like he did last year, I want Jones in CF. If he falls off with the added size, then he moves to left.

I'm definitely willing to let him prove that he can still move just as quick despite carrying a bit more muscle around. People can also get faster if the add the right muscles and do a lot of running and other lower body exercise.

Jones gets first crack at CF. If he's a step slower with the extra muscle, make the switch, but preemptively doing it is a slap in the face of Adam Jones, who has done everything we've asked of him.

How can he have gained 25 pounds so fast? I hope it is legal and I hope it is all muscle.

I did think last year alot. And I mean alot of balls he hit in the first half died at the warning track. Maybe now they will clear the fence.

I am concerned on what the weight will do to his knees and joints. Will it slow him too much for center? Cant wait to see him on TV in spring training.

He could be our best player next year.

I'd give the CF job to Jones hands down for a few reasons:

1) After some bad jumps early he showed he could be a very excellent defensive CF.

2) He has seniority over Pie. First come first serve rule. :)

3) As of this moment from what I've seen from Jones I think he will be with this team for the next 5 years, at least, no questions asked. Pie has to prove he is an everyday player. I'd hate to move Jones to LF and give Pie CF for the next year and half and if he fails to cut it have to move Jones then back to CF.

If Jones' extra size proves to be a problem then okay I'd swap the two or if Pie proves he is a MLB capable hitter and is this teams long-term future plans then swap the two if Pie is a better defender.

In my unfounded opinion, I believe that Juan Gone was a juicer who started to get injured as a result of his over tight - juiced - body.

True that.

Jones is a BIG dude. Seeing him up close last season, I also couldn't believe he was 6'2. Of course he was wearing spikes, but still.

API is a great place. While I think it's good that Jones is so dedicated to getting his body in shape for a grueling 162 game marathon of a season, I hope he's working on pitch recognition and hitting, too.

Archived