Adam Jones Speaks Up

Saintbird

I have no idea why this discussion turned into an argument about weight gain and muscular development, but I like Adam's attitude about the game and his approach to this upcoming season:

Like Markakis, Jones is one of the key parts of the Orioles’ young nucleus and -- after Brian Roberts, of course -- is also viewed as the next logical Oriole in line for an extension, but that day is likely a good bit down the road for a player who doesn’t have two full years of service time yet.

"I’m not really thinking about anything like that," Jones said yesterday. "I’m just thinking about the upcoming season. All I can do is go into spring training with the same mindset that I’ve always had; just give it my all and try to improve. Our roster is a lot different than last year. I still think we can make some noise in the [American League] East. Honesty, I really do."

No one seems to be discussing this stuff he said. Jones is exactly the kind of guy this team needs and this is what I was talking about when I asked if the losing culture here was dying out.

These young guys seem to be unwilling to quit and look to go out there and bust their butts day in and day out. Teams like that are not always easy to beat, lousy pitching or not.

MSK

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who are not familar with API, it is completely serious. They make your every meal individually catered towards your genetic makeup, and every aspect of your physical progress is professionally tracked. They are the best training facility in the world, they know what they are doing with their athletes. They are the same guys who train NFL players each year for the combine.

When Adam Jones says he has gained 25 pounds while training at API, I am not worried. First, it all obviously is not muscle. A lot of that is probably bulk, or water weight from creatine supplements. It will not add to your body fat, but will put weight on you. I will not be surprised to see Adam drop around 5 pounds after the first couple weeks of spring training. Second, the guy is 22-years old, he is naturally going to put on some weight.

At API speed and agility is just as important, if not more, than strength. The guys there are obviously aware that Adam plays centerfield (unless the O's have other plans which we do not know about), and have him on a program to get him ready to play 162 games in centerfield (in other words, speed, agility, explosiveness, and reaction are key). Adam is working hard, he will be just fine.

So, you think he won't be significantly hurting his range in CF by weighing 235 lbs?

I don't agree. The Adam Jones I saw last year... I can't see the ideal baseball weight for that frame being more than in the 220ish range.

I can agree to disagree -- no issue for me. But, yeah, I think he's fine putting on the weight. I'd also imagine his playing weight will be around 5 lbs lighter.

For those who are not familar with API, it is completely serious. They make your every meal individually catered towards your genetic makeup, and every aspect of your physical progress is professionally tracked. They are the best training facility in the world

As long as every meal is all-natural works for me.

Maybe our PR department needs to jump on this and create a Rocky IV training montage commercial featuring Adam Jones for the upcoming season. That'd be cool. :scratchchinhmm:

As long as every meal is all-natural works for me.

Maybe our PR department needs to jump on this and create a Rocky IV training montage commercial featuring Adam Jones for the upcoming season. That'd be cool. :scratchchinhmm:

Maybe Under Armour needs to...;)

Exactly. Aubrey Huff came out last year and he had a career year...and he did nothing over the offseason. Apparently he's doing the same thing this year. Hey, it worked once, right?

I think it's a gimmick when players start talking about gaining/losing weight or being in better shape. But I guess the numbers will tell us what the case is for AJ soon enough.

I wonder if he's working on a new pitch too? :)

For those who are not familar with API, it is completely serious. They make your every meal individually catered towards your genetic makeup, and every aspect of your physical progress is professionally tracked. They are the best training facility in the world, they know what they are doing with their athletes. They are the same guys who train NFL players each year for the combine.

When Adam Jones says he has gained 25 pounds while training at API, I am not worried. First, it all obviously is not muscle. A lot of that is probably bulk, or water weight from creatine supplements. It will not add to your body fat, but will put weight on you. I will not be surprised to see Adam drop around 5 pounds after the first couple weeks of spring training. Second, the guy is 22-years old, he is naturally going to put on some weight.

At API speed and agility is just as important, if not more, than strength. The guys there are obviously aware that Adam plays centerfield (unless the O's have other plans which we do not know about), and have him on a program to get him ready to play 162 games in centerfield (in other words, speed, agility, explosiveness, and reaction are key). Adam is working hard, he will be just fine.

Sounds good to me. Glad to hear Matusz is there too. Thanks for the info.

I love that he's doing these workouts. He really seems like a great guy and a dedicated player. That being said, he certainly looks to me like a guy who will have a very thick build as he gets older (a la Vlad). A move to LF may be premature, but it might make a lot of sense at some point.

Let's hope this extra work results in great things with the bat in 09.

It really depends. Does having four or five batting sessions or flagging down balls three times a week acclimate you? Does a player focus on the benefits and ignore the detrimental aspects? Maybe the API program takes these into consideration or maybe they cater to the player's wishes. I really do not know.

Why don't we assume a professional training organization that is attracting and retaining world class athletes as clients has considered things that pop up into the heads of guys on a message board after taking a few moments to consider the issue.

There is a huge bit of academia built around the ideas of athletic training and performance.

----

Yes, API is all about athleticism, i.e. explosion, balance, coordination, flexibility, hip turning, agility, core strength, etc API core performance.

Its not a bunch of meathead powerlifters.

Do we have to worry about him pulling a Juan Gone?

Bulk up and then suffer through muscle pulls and strains..things like that?

That is my worry with this.

In my unfounded opinion, I believe that Juan Gone was a juicer who started to get injured as a result of his over tight - juiced - body.

Really...so, you wouldn't want arguably the best defensive CF in the NL over the course of 8+ years and a guy that can hit 30+ HR's season after season....:scratchchinhmm:

Can you name a few young 235 pound or more gold glove caliber CFers from any time in baseball history?

Archived