Adam Jones Speaks Up

Saintbird

Unless Jones shows up to camp dramatically slower he should be in CF. He's much more likely to be in the lineup consistently. If you made Pie the primary CF you'd have a revolving door at the "captain of the OF" position, so unless there's a really dramatic difference between the two defensively it's better to play the guy in CF who's likely to be in the lineup more regularly.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless Jones shows up to camp dramatically slower he should be in CF. He's much more likely to be in the lineup consistently. If you made Pie the primary CF you'd have a revolving door at the "captain of the OF" position, so unless there's a really dramatic difference between the two defensively it's better to play the guy in CF who's likely to be in the lineup more regularly.

Well he's working out with Roberts from what it sounds like so everything should be fine and dandy. Hopefully he's not dabbling in any of the things that Roberts experimented with a few seasons ago, too.

/blueberry bait.

;)

Let's see if Pie is ready to be a full time major league player before handing over the CF job to him.

Read the article! Yes, Jones has gained 25lbs. of muscle. But he is also faster and stronger than he was last year. What part is it? The "faster" or "stronger" part that makes people think he needs to move from CF?

Curious question that I'll just post here (instead of creating more Pie threads)

Who is anticipating Pie's arm strength + accuracy + assists per year to rival that of Markakis? :scratchchinhmm: From scouting reports they seem to rave on and on about not only his arm strength, but also his accuracy. Has anyone see it in action? I've seen Pie hit a bit and run down some balls, but I have yet to witness the arm.

That could be awesome. No double/run scored for you! (in Soup Nazi voice)

I don't care who's been where for how long. Let Jones and Pie get time in both LF and CF during spring training and see what the best overall alignment is for our outfield. Since when does a player with one year of service get "bigtime" treatment. Especially when Jones has never shown any inclination to be a "me" guy. Most of us have seen Pie play very little and have no way to judge what the best outfield setup would be. So let them play it out in ST and put the players in the best position to be successful and to help the team, however it works out.

As far as Jone's weight gain being legal, it is nothing to worry about. API is responsible for hundreds of NFL players, and we all know the NFL's drug testing policy is much more strict than the MLB's. Sometimes weight gain/loss is as simple as eating proper nutrition. Being on the road that much, some players will not eat much, or will eat meals hours apart. Not to mention what they do eat is probably not very nutritious (ever see the clubhouse buffet tables after games? Not very healthy looking food). Good nutrition just takes proper knowledge. Adam most likely has a naturally high metabolism, so the weight gain probably came from a switch to eating the right foods, eating more often throughout the day, and nutritious calorie boosting supplements.

No, all that weight ISN'T muscle. Without steroids, it only possible to gain about 5-8 pounds of muscle mass a year. UNLESS you are growing about 2-3 inches, or you are a bodybuilding who is training for a competition (in which your body has already achieved that type of size before, and you are "peaking"). Most of his weight is probably added water weight from a change to a proper diet.

I don't know as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Athletes Performance! I think alot of the players that go there end up overtraining.

Once again, API creates very specific individual sport and position based programs. I doubt Adam is power lifting all the time, just as much emphasis is being put on agility, explosiveness, and flexibility. These guys don't just bulk you up only to have your hamstring or groin give out. API has plenty of specialized sports medicine doctors who know what they are doing, and track progress to make sure you are not over training. The first round of the NFL draft is annually loaded with API guys (all positions, different body types, different training programs), the fact that top NFL prospects keep coming to API shows that they know what they are doing. The trainers know Adam plays centerfield, so they most definitely have him doing centerfield related drills and a weight program that reflects his position.

The alternative theory is that the Orioles have told Jones that he is going to play left field, so he is doing a different type of training program. However, that would mean that AM put a lot of weight into acquiring someone like Pie (someone who can play just as good of a defensive centerfield, there are not many of these guys in the MLB), which is doubtful.

Curious question that I'll just post here (instead of creating more Pie threads)

Who is anticipating Pie's arm strength + accuracy + assists per year to rival that of Markakis? :scratchchinhmm: From scouting reports they seem to rave on and on about not only his arm strength, but also his accuracy. Has anyone see it in action? I've seen Pie hit a bit and run down some balls, but I have yet to witness the arm.

That could be awesome. No double/run scored for you! (in Soup Nazi voice)

If the reports are true that alone could make a pretty big difference in runs scored. With guns in Left and Right field people may not be legging out doubles or scoring from second.

Once again, API creates very specific individual sport and position based programs. I doubt Adam is power lifting all the time, just as much emphasis is being put on agility, explosiveness, and flexibility. These guys don't just bulk you up only to have your hamstring or groin give out. API has plenty of specialized sports medicine doctors who know what they are doing, and track progress to make sure you are not over training. The first round of the NFL draft is annually loaded with API guys (all positions, different body types, different training programs), the fact that top NFL prospects keep coming to API shows that they know what they are doing. The trainers know Adam plays centerfield, so they most definitely have him doing centerfield related drills and a weight program that reflects his position.

I'm not completely in the dark on this subject. I only came to this hypothetical after reading Mark Verstegen's book "Core Performance". Talking about some of the guys who go there training upwards of 6 hours a day.

Can someone enlighten me on how the NFL's drug policy is stricter than MLB's?

I think the NFL has the most offenders in regards to steroids in all of professional sports....

It seems like you answered your own question.

I'm not completely in the dark on this subject. I only came to this hypothetical after reading Mark Verstegen's book "Core Performance". Talking about some of the guys who go there training upwards of 6 hours a day.

I have not read that book, but yes, overtraining is common among athletes. However, athletic training institutions are becoming a big business (you see athletes as early as elementary school working with personal trainers on athletic performance). As a result for the demand, more and more research is going into sports medicine research. Just think of how popular the NFL combine has gotten over just the past five years! Our knowledge of efficient training is leagues better than it was even ten years ago. Institutions like API are constantly on top of such information and new technology when it comes to efficient training and nutrition. I am sure there is a degree of over training, but there is also close monitoring to limit over training (there are actually machines that can detect how well you are eating, if you are getting enough sleep, and exactly what type of training you need).

Adam Jones is also fluent in Spanish, so having Pie in LF would be better from a comunication standpoint.

Archived