Is Anybody else frustrated with the organizations pitching philosophy

backdoorslider

6 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

We were drafted #11 overall? No we weren't. If I could throw 93 on the black I'd be pitching in the MLB right now, but I can't. Rodriguez is an MLB pitcher. He needs to spot the fastball at the knees, consistently. It's literally his job.

I thought he was a top 5 pick?

• Haha 1

I do not know, but the Grayrod situation will tell us.  If the coaches, etc., blow his development it will be like blowing 2 or 3 young pitchers.  He is not just another youngster trying to break in to MLB, but a possible franchise piece, which would set this franchise back big time if he is not developed correctly.  Many future  H of Famers  were very wild when just breaking in, and went on from there to much bigger and better things, esp. Lefties.  I say keep him getting experience at the MLB level.  It does no good if he dominates Minor Leaguers.  He must get experience getting MLB hitters out.  

24 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

We were drafted #11 overall? No we weren't. If I could throw 93 on the black I'd be pitching in the MLB right now, but I can't. Rodriguez is an MLB pitcher. He needs to spot the fastball at the knees, consistently. It's literally his job.

For the record I think a 93 MPH FB, with plus plus command but poor movement and without complimentary above average secondary pitches would get lit up in the majors.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Here's something that deserves applause: letting Grayson throw nearly 100 pitches. I loved that, and it sounds like he loved it also, even though it didn't work out. He was clearly gassed around 85 pitches as his fastball was missing up consistently. But I really like letting him continue to pitch. Have to build that stamina. 

Great point.  Part of a young pitcher's development is learning to work through a difficult inning and work deeper into games (for a starter).  Didn't work out great for Grayson, especially with a lack of help from Voth.  But, it's something Hyde needs to let him do.  Against a better team, it could have cost us.  But, against a better team, Hyde might have gone to the pen earlier.

42 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

You would think they would simply show a video of Greg Maddux and say....just do that?  MLB coaches are just so dumb. Right????  

But your argument besides being silly is self defeating here.  On one hand if everyone could do it you too could be an MLB pitcher.  But on the other hand everyone can't so you are not.  And I think under any understanding, no pitcher's job is simply to spot a fastball consistently at the knees.  Their job is to limit runs and get outs as efficiently as possible and for some teams, occasionally to bean someone in the back...but I digress.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, backdoorslider said:

In the MLB, hitters will time and crank 97-98. Velocity isn't enough at this level. Go ahead and blow people away at A and AA and even perhaps AAA. The 97mph fastballs over the plate doesn't cut it in the AL East. I dont care that Hall and Rodriguez can throw 98. Doesnt matter to me.

All I'm asking for is 92-93 on the corner with movement and quality off speed. Is that too much to ask for? 

After a while I tired of seeing Os pitchers pumping in high velocity fastballs over the heart of the plate and getting rocked.

We should be scouting for command, not velocity. Especially with this left field wall keeping everything in the park.

Seeing that this was posted on Monday, and we just saw a bunch of non-movement pitches get hit out of the park by the Opponents (including a rebuilding team) in the last few games, I'd have to say that your wish of want more movement in each delivery has merit. I think one of the things why Dylan Tate was so successful and the anchor for our bullpen last season was because his pitches had both movement and velocity. Hitters couldn't handle that nasty stuff.

Our pitchers need to work on their spins because from what I've seen in these 11 games so far of the season, there's been a lot of hangers and not enough command.

All that said, I do not think the organization has some type of philosophy in looking for purely velocity like the OP suggested. If that was the case they never would have given opportunities to guys like Spencer Watkins, Austin Voth, or Dean Kremer, nor would they have acquired Gibson and Irvin. The organization does value spin artists who can get the ground ball double play.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Seeing that this was posted on Monday, and we just saw a bunch of non-movement pitches get hit out of the park by the Opponents (including a rebuilding team) in the last few games, I'd have to say that your wish of want more movement in each delivery has merit. I think one of the things why Dylan Tate was so successful and the anchor for our bullpen last season was because his pitches had both movement and velocity. Hitters couldn't handle that nasty stuff.

Our pitchers need to work on their spins because from what I've seen in these 11 games so far of the season, there's been a lot of hangers and not enough command.

All that said, I do not think the organization has some type of philosophy in looking for purely velocity like the OP suggested. If that was the case they never would have given opportunities to guys like Spencer Watkins, Austin Voth, or Dean Kremer, nor would they have acquired Gibson and Irvin. The organization does value spin artists who can get the ground ball double play.

You are correct. There are far too many fat meatballs grooved right over the plate. We need more emphasis on movement and command. We need Spencer Watkins on the mound now.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gausman was known for his command when he was drafted.

I think Gausman and Matusz got by in college with a solid fastball/changeup mix with ordinary breaking pitches. It just didn't seem to work that well starting for the O's. 

I think he’s just trying to be too good too fast. Just aim the fastball down the middle and let it do work. Stop the walks. You don’t have to establish 5 pitches in the first three innings of a start. He’s young, he will figure this out. Plus he has a lot of hype and pressure. 

Throw your fastball Grayson. At least through the first time through the order. Then work in some off speed pitches. 

What’s the old saying… A starter needs one pitch working to compete, two working to win, and three to dominate. Well ok then….