Tuesday, April 11: Gas Can T-Shirt Night, O's vs A's

SteveA

Looks like Adley is asking him to go high and he's just missing. Maybe he's subconsciously scared about walking his way down to AAA, or maybe it's just a command issue. Seems like a fixable issue though if he otherwise has multiple pitches working and isn't missing the zone entirely.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yankees lose one to the last place Angels thanks to a Rizzo error, Holmes blown save, and offense that failed to get another baserunner after taking a lead in the 5th inning.  The kind of things I've heard around here real championship contenders just don't do! 
    • First thing is first, the Negro Leagues had a lot of great talent and it’s a crime they never got to play in the MLB. That’s a given.    Second, the math doesn’t math here in regard to Gibson, unless I am missing something: Baseball reference has his career lasting for 14 total seasons spanning from 1930-1946.  There’s no ‘31 or ‘32 seasons for him and no ‘41 season.  His listed career stats are the .373 batting average, .718 SLG, 166 homers, 135 doubles   How do they come up with a .718 SLG on 166 homers and 135 doubles across 14 seasons?
    • I fear we are perennially going to want  just a little bit more from Grayson—and then it will all click for a few years in his 30’s for some other team.
    • Just checked some box scores-- I believe the O's have let a SP start an inning at 90+ pitches only once all year. Grayson was sent out for the 7th inning on April 5th vs Pittsburgh, at 92 pitches. The only other close one I found, Kremer was sent out for the 6th on April 24th at LAA, at 89 pitches.  For what it's worth, on both occasions the pitcher gave up a HR and didn't finish the inning. 
    • I actually think Cano is a lot closer to getting back to elite performance than the expected numbers suggest.  The GB numbers are still absolutely elite (100th percentile) and he’s getting a ton of chases (99th percentile) and whiffs (82nd percentile). And tonight, 3 whiffs on 9 swings, so that number will come up a little further. Pretty good company amongst the guys with 30+ whiff rate and 60+ GB rate: Clay Holmes (30.5; 68.3) — .255 wOBA Camilo Doval (35.1; 64.9) — .288 wOBA Erik Miller (34.7; 61.1) — .309 wOBA Declan Cronin (29.9; 61.2) — .279 wOBA   The HH rate is staggeringly high, and the average EV is relatedly high, but from watching him all year, I don’t think he’s making that many bad pitches. I do feel like the bad pitches he’s made have mostly gotten smashed so far. The guy has given up 12 flyballs all year coming into tonight, and 4 of them have gone over the fence.    The Wong AB tonight kind of sums up Cano’s season so far, I think. He made 5 good pitches in that at-bat. (1) Whiff on a great sinker, (2) whiff on another good sinker, (3) barely fouls off another great sinker down and in, (4) tough take on an elevated 4-seamer, (5) fouls off a changeup well out of the zone. The 6th pitch was a sinker that just didn’t sink, and Wong smoked it. That’s a pretty damn well-pitched AB to end up with a 102 MPH laser for an RBI. Anyway, a lot of the misses remind me of mid-season last year. Leaving the sinker (and the slider) up at times, the classic cement mixer effect where they just hang. And they’re getting crushed. It seemed like last year there was a tweak with the elbow that helped drive that sinker back down — perhaps something like that again? If they could just eliminate some of those awful pitches, I think he’d be in business, because the profile is really good otherwise. 
    • Agree that Grayson had more left in the tank and wish Hyder have let him take on the 7th as well. in the early innings, I wish Grayson just kept with the fastball rather than mixing pitches and looking to establish offspeed.  His fastball was generating swing & miss.  
    • I think it’s white people problems to worry about the inconsistent quality of the Negro Leagues. The black ball players lived with a far more consistent worse. Seems a minor reconciliation to combine the stats.
  • Popular Contributors